passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game Pass & Gold (Xbox & PC)

Hendo

4 minutes ago, bellow said:

Sounds like an interesting world to enter. I thought Control was some sort of espionage thriller, while AW was survival horror. This kind of unusual world building is as rare as it is exciting. Can't wait. 

They're both surreal third person shooters at the end of the day. Alan Wake is more about atmosphere and story whereas Control is more gameplay focused (but also drops a ridiculous amount of lore at you, which is where the AW connections are being explained).

They're different games but it makes sense to bind their universes together. It just fits. 

Alan Wake is a lot more Resident Evil 4 inspired but less action-y and more suspense going on. Control is more like a 3rd person shooting Metroidvania with a constant undercurrent of dread and foreboding that never pops or goes anywhere. I’ve honestly already forgotten what Control was about. The only thing I remember about it is the environment which is very cool. The story, though, I would need to look up a wiki. 

I watched a Let's Play of Control on YouTube. The gameplay seemed interesting. The story seemed like something you could only appreciate first-hand. Like trying to explain Killer 7 to someone who has never played it.

3 minutes ago, Maf said:

constant undercurrent of dread and foreboding that never pops or goes anywhere

I don't know that sounds like a pretty cool style, when media tries to explain weird shit it always ends up disappointing. Just having the sense of dread without revealing what's behind the curtain is my favorite sort of surreal weird horror shit.

They do reveal it, though, I just got a vague sense of being underwhelmed by it. 

I remember the visual of the thing they show you and the fight around it now I’m thinking but I can’t remember what the context for it was. 

It is a shame, because there isn't that many games that do psychic powers well. Control does look like one of them. Psi-Ops, the other that I am familiar with. Not that we'll ever see another one of those again (A legal rights issue).

It might just be me. With exceptions I think I’m done with stories in games and am much more into gameplay and online games. I just want to press the buttons and do the cool stuff I don’t the need the reasons for it. 

When you become a non-smoker cutscenes are much harder to sit through. 

2 hours ago, OCH said:

It is a shame, because there isn't that many games that do psychic powers well. Control does look like one of them. Psi-Ops, the other that I am familiar with. Not that we'll ever see another one of those again (A legal rights issue).

I really liked Free Radical's Second Sight back in the day. Had a rather interesting story to boot as well, even though that's the only thing I remember about it. 

Too bad those guys got sucked into the Crytek down spiral.

Oh right! I forgot about Second Sight. It used the engine of Timesplitters too, I think?

Yeah, Free Radical became another one of those. Like [Classic] Rare and any Konami IP that isn't MGS, PES or Castlevania. A real shame?