passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

How often? All the time.

Favourites? Hollow Knight, Outer Wilds, Hades, Transistor, Fez, Hypnospace Outlaw, Eastshade, Disco Elysium, Sunless Sea, Divinity Original Sin, FTL, Into the Breach, Super Hexagon, Thimbleweed Park, Undertale, Return of the Obra Dinn, Rakuen, Kentucky Route Zero, A Short Hike.

And on and on. Indie games are great.

I've taken to indie games more in recent years than I used to. Binding of Isaac was the moment that put them on my radar.

Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Cuphead and very recently, Astalon: Tears of the Earth. I'm sure there are one or two more but, I'm drawing a blank beyond those for the moment.

I find that, more than any other reason, as a complete game. They are better value for money than big budget titles. Shovel Knight for example, you have a ton of content. Most of which came after the original release and was given to you for free, if you bought it in the initial window.

Indie games are the absolute best. Much better than AAA stuff in general IMO. Plus they’re usually a more complete experience as OCH points out.

This will take some real thinking about but immediate favourites off the top of my head:

Katana Zero

Hollow Knight 

Blasphemous 

Rocket League (pre epic)

Dead Cells

Bloodstained

Edith Finch

Gone Home

Are they saying last 2 gens including this so far or as in 360 - One? If it’s 360 included the list gets ridiculously long too:

Super Meat Boy (#1) 

Splosion Man

Trials HD

Brothers

Im going to have look through my history as there’s fucking loads I’d count as favourites I’ve just got a shite memory. 

Tbh, I mostly dodge indie games cause more often than not when they get bigged up I check them out and discover it's a roguelike, or a castlevania style game. The latter I don't enjoy and the former feels like homework, so i ignore them (if i end up playing a RL I use cheats just to get through it)

Which means I miss out on lots of awesome games I'm sure, but I don't like 2D platforming or 'run' based games and I don't always trust that an indie game doesn't have these elements (Inscryption having it surprised me). That said, Outer Wilds was very good so that's my pick. I didn't know Disco was indie either so that's my other pick

Man, Into The Breach is tiny perfection.

Would Rocket League count? Owned by EGS now, but came from a relatively unknown studio.

Dungeon Defenders, Creeper World's, Valheim, Full Metal Furries, FTL,  Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Tiny & Big, Shatter. These are just some of the ones I can name from the top of my head.

Would Deep Rock Galactic count, it's not like it's by a AAA Studio, but my god is that game good.

So many good games outside the shit people cream over because it's done by one of the bigger devs.

9 minutes ago, mmmark said:

Idk if indie. I’m not even happy with the term tbh, but that’s a dev of 150+ people and owned by Ubisoft. 

I realised after posting to be honest. Will edit. I know what you mean about the term too, aren’t CDPR technically indie? But it’s not really in the spirit to include them.

7 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Would Rocket League count?

Surely! It came out before Epic bought them so, even if you just specify pre-epic it should. 

20 hours ago, mfnick said:

Much better than AAA stuff in general IMO. 

Oooo that's on hell of a hot take and one I 100% disagree with. 

For me, I don't play many 'Indie' games but the ones that standout over the years for me are:

• What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Hollow Knight (even though I never finished it)
  • Cuphead
  • Inside
  • Limbo
  • Rocket League
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Hotline Miami
  • To The Moon
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Pony Island
  • The Hex
  • Amnesia
  • SOMA
  • Gorogoa
  • Rime
  • Life is Strange
  • Deltarune
  • Donut County
  • Unpacking
  • It Takes Two
  • Ori
  • Ori 2

Will say as well, I'm not sure some of these will count as they have backing from big Publishers

But yeah, the name has kind of lost a lot of its meaning now for me as well, they're just games really, albeit smaller games than the AAA space. Usually for me, I get little time to play the AAA backlog I've got so I'll only switch a smaller game on (usually on Game Pass tbf) to play in between bigger titles. 

Oxenfree was a fun indie game that i really enjoyed, it has a sequel coming out this year i think.

Also i don't know if anyone remembers a digital only PS3 game called White Night but that was great, it was all in black and white and was a ghost/detective story set in a creepy old 1920s style house where stepping into the black parts meant you couldn't see a thing unless you lit a candle or the lightning outside was ocassionally lighting the room, it was very atmospheric and enjoyable

I liked indie games more when there were fewer of them. Back in the XBLA days where they did the summer promotions, or there was a new 1 or 2 indie games every Wednesday. Back when it was manageable to keep up with them. With the PS4 era I kind of fell off indies because there were just so many I can't keep up with them anymore. Now I just wait for the ones people are raving about and try those.

It's why Metacritic and things are really helpful because it can spotlight the best or most notable indie games. It's basically a strong filter function. I'd be lost without the help. I've talked before about how cluttered all the store fronts are with crap. It's become what the joke about the Apple store used to be. I don't even know what I'm looking at most of the time.

When people say reviews and aggregate sites aren't useful or relevant, this is one of those areas where actually they're essential. 

The increase in the amount of games + just how much bigger games have got leaving less time (Even indie games can be giant now) it's a combination that's made me fall off the indie scene quite hard. I also don't necessarily think indie games are better than AAA. Just because something isn't mainstream or openly corporate is not automatically better. That's some try hard, stick it to the man shit. AAA games are still overall fuller and more satisfying experiences to me.

But the advantages I think indie games do have is that they are distinct, palatable and focused which I think all my favourite indie games are. Focus on a couple of things, and don't do it for too long. If there's something AAA could definitely do with learning from indie games is that sometimes less is more.

Some of my favourite indie games are

Journey

Braid

Mark of the Ninja

Monument Valley

Transistor

Outer Wilds

What Remains of Edith Finch 

Super Stardust HD

Super Meat Boy

OlliOlli

Cuphead

And my absolute favourite Ori and the Blind Forest. That game is magic.