passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

Watched the first episode of LotR. I actually really liked it! Some of the special effects for the backgrounds in certain scenes still looks a little fake. Which for the money I thought they’d avoid that. But TV I guess. Still looked excellent most of the time.

The main girl is bad ass too. She’s really cool. 

I also really like that there were no call backs to the movies (at least I didn’t pick up on it). I think is how you have to do prequels, just treat it like a purely stand alone thing.

The story lost me about half way through because I got up and started hoovering but I still enjoyed watching the second half even though I didn’t really know what was going on

I only watched some of it but I was very impressed by the production values.

It had that very sort of clean digital look that The Hobbit films had that I didn't really like, and I don't love it here. But everything looked way more convincing in this TV show than the Hobbit films, which is sort of unbelievable on the one hand but also I think tells you how rubbish those films were, so a return to form for the property perhaps.

I'm sort of left wondering if I want to re-read the books though. Unfortunately every time that thought enters my head I remember the Tom Bombadil stuff. I just cant with that stuff tbh.

As far as it goes prequel wise I understand it's trying to be a condensed reconstruction of backstory from the appendices of the books and references to dialogue that characters have between each other. So it's largely a more original work than LOTR, or even the Hobbit, cause it's not based off a book at all. They don't have rights to things like The Silmarillion so they can't go all the way back for that stuff.

The 'main girl' is Galadriel, she was played by Cate Blanchett in the original movies (and The Hobbit)

1 hour ago, Fragpuss said:

I know it's not new now that it's on it's 3rd season with season 4 greenlit, but does anyone else watch For All Mankind?

I absolutely love it!

I’ve actually never heard of that but it has great reviews. Is it a solid recommendation?

Watched the first 2 Ep's of LOTR:TRoP and absolutely loved it, the CGI is absolutely amazing for a TV series and you can tell it has had a hell of a lot of money spent on it. Some of the set pieces have been absolutely amazing, I turned to Char at one point and said I'd watch this in the cinema. Amazing stuff.

An amazing start, can't wait to watch Ep. 3 on Friday.

7 hours ago, Fragpuss said:

I know it's not new now that it's on it's 3rd season with season 4 greenlit, but does anyone else watch For All Mankind?

I absolutely love it!

This has been on my Watchlist on ATV+ for ages but the missus refuses to watch it, will get around to it one day. Have always thought it looks banging.

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

This has been on my Watchlist on ATV+ for ages but the missus refuses to watch it, will get around to it one day. Have always thought it looks banging.

Mine did at first but we just kicked off and she loved it! It's kind of like Mad Men, with some light sci-fi thrown in :)

I think maybe need to workshop the name a little bit. But you might be on to something!

I will try to keep watching this show every week because I do like it. But I’m also losing the thread of it already. I understand the girl’s story and it’s mad to see Lenny Henry in this thing. When was the last time he worked? But a lot of characters I don’t understand what’s going on with them. I’ll try to stick with it because there’s something enjoyable about watching something so expensive. But story wise I’m falling off at Ep 2 already.