passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

erm, honestly, not a lot. I'm sure I'll buy Resident Evil 4, and from googling I remembered Metal Slug Tactics is on its way (I might get Advance Wars but I don't think it looks great so far)

I'm sure there's going to be plenty of good stuff this year, there's just not a lot announced that's moving the needle for me

Starfield for me.

Harry potter possibly as it's looking very open rpg-ish, and the franchise has great nostalgia for me as my kids sort of grew up with it, and it's still a custom to watch one of the films on Christmas day even though they're now grown (and I use the term loosely) men.

It's also a possibility that I might get a ps5 to play the new final fantasy. That depends on reviews.

I love Zelda but I'm loathe to play anything new on the switch as everything with more graphical complexity than their cartoony stuff like mario just looks shite on my TV. I need that 4k upgrade from Ninty and I don't mind waiting.

yeah the best stuff i played last year i didn't know too much about at the start of the year so hopefully there's some good stuff coming.

looking forward to zelda still, and advance wars should be good. Edit - if pikmin 4 is out this year then also that.

also one of the best games ever made is getting a ps4 port by m2 this year, so get hyped up for dodonpachi dai ou jou later in the year

Spoiler

the music is so good

There's a few things that interest me.

AEW Fight Forever is out this year. Apparently a redux of N64's No Mercy style gameplay with the most prominent parts of AEW's roster, but with all the trimmings of professional wrestling that couldn't really be captured then. Apparently it's going to be a base game they release and then support over many years compared to WWE's effort of releasing one every year. I wonder if they'll keep to that vision or drop it when they realise they can make more money blasting out yearly updates?

Not a full game, but Fallout: London is supposedly coming out this year as well. It's a Falllout mod based on Fallout 4. But Bri'ish, innit.

Payday 3 is the one I'm most looking forward to. We've not seen anything of it yet apart from some video. I feel like they have a hell of a lot to live up to, and I hope it runs a lot more stable on Unreal and that engine allows them to be more fluid with building stuff. Be a nice reset as well on gear because power creep and shit started to mess Payday 2 up. Or rather it allowed them to get experimental because the games going into legacy mode. Hopefully the lessons they learn are put in place are good for Payday 3.

Starfield is my last choice. I reckon it'll be pretty busted when/if it comes out this year. I would have rather had TESVI or FO5. I'm still not sure what the hell this game is about and to be perfectly honest I don't really care. As long as it's not a complete car crash I feel it'll be absorbing to some degree. Will it have the legs of Skyrim? I think that'd be quite hard. I guess it depends on the modding community around it? Only time will tell.

A few obvious ones that I’ll be picking up day one when they come out - Hollow Knight Silksong, Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur’s Gate 3. Fire Emblem Engage won’t be day one but I’m looking forward to that too.

In terms of non-Nintendo stuff, I’m probably not going to get any new AAA games unless I get a PS5. So games like Hogwarts Legacy, FFXVI, FFVII Rebirth and Starfield might be day one but I’ll probably hold off until later in the year.

I’ll definitely be picking up the Cyberpunk DLC.

2023 is filled with bangers, can't believe folks haven't mentioned some of the ones I'll list below:

• Hogwarts Legacy
  • Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
  • Star Wars Jedi Survivor
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Dead Space Remake
  • Diablo IV
  • Starfield
  • Armoured Core VI
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage
  • Like a Dragon: Ishin!
  • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man with No Name
  • Hollow Knight Silksong
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Suicide Squad
  • Forza Motorsport Reboot
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Horizon Burning Skies
  • Wo Long

This year will hopefully be absolute fire. The ones in bold I'm looking forward to the most but this year will hopefully be filled with wall-to-wall bangers from February onwards.

2023 feels properly diverse in the AAA space, or at least for me the games I'm interested in all seem really different.

I forgot about Alan Wake. Never played the original (don't plan on it either), but Control was a really interesting blend of horror, sci fi and metroidvania gameplay. So I'm on board with Remedy stuff from now on, whatever the genre

1e23f3c3e83e8fb562c58408b3d5fd63-c741.jpg

Readers imagine swapping the main characters of one game with another, with Mario in The Witcher and Bayonetta in God Of War.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Onibee, who invited readers to pick any two games, regardless of whether they’re in similar genres or not, and swap the lead character. What would happen and do you think it would be fun?

There were lots of peculiar ideas, as well as full-blow crossovers between similar franchises, but everyone seemed to agree that crossovers are fun and there should be more of them.