passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

The switch to first person for Metroid Prime means it's one for me to avoid. Other than Metroid Dread (which might have some recency bias to it?) Fusion was one of my favourite games on my GBA for many years. 

Super Mario Kart, Super Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga being some of my favourite games of their respective genres. 

I've picked my favourite for each Nintendo console I've owned. I've left out the GBA as the only Nintendo titles I owned where remakes of snes titles, the others I played emulated.

SNES: Super Mario All-Stars

N64: Super Mario 64

Game Cube: Super Mario Kart: Double Dash

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy

Switch: Super Mario Odyssey

Game Boy: Links Awakening/Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (genuinely can't pick between those)

DS: Animal Crossing (Wide World?)

3DS: Super Mario 3D Land

Favourite of the bunch, hard to say really. I've got a lot of nostalgia love for Mario64, but it hasn't aged well, I return to Mario Odyssey and I think that is probably my favourite 3D Mario title, Links Awakening felt like nothing I'd ever played before when it came out, I poured hundreds of hours into the Animal Crossing on the DS, se with Double Dash playing multi at uni. I'm not going to pick just one

ReDead_Feature-886x446-85d8.jpg

Readers discuss the most frightening video games that aren’t survival horrors, from The Legend Of Zelda to Hitman Absolution.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Hammeriron, who wanted to hear about the scariest moments from games that are not primarily horror titles.

Everyone had plenty of suggestions, from all different types of games, with those that had an otherwise cartoonish tone being the most jarring when something spooky happened.

2 hours ago, mmmark said:

Eternal Darkness* which if I remember correctly would randomly have a loud scream 😱 

*everyone seems to class it as action adventure.

Who is this "everyone" that thinks Eternal Darkness isn't primarily a horror game?  Am I missing a joke here?

I think that era of Zelda (OoT, MM, TP) all have their spooky moments but that's almost an obvious one.

I think we've had a question like this before because I've said here that the original Tomb Raider spooked me pretty hard, but I'd say the original trilogy spooked me quite a lot.  Dunno if it's just an age thing and a more active imagination or they were pretty good with their atmosphere at times.

I've aid it before, but Ecco the Dolphin on the Dreamcast. There's a mission really early in where you have to get an enormous Statham-bothering great white to chase you, then dart through a gap in an obstacle that was in the centre of the chamber, so it smashed in to it.

The issue was, this being the Dreamcast, you didn't have a lot of control over the camera, as such you'd assume the shark wasn't following you, give up to readjust, then have it murder you out of nowhere

Ecco4-article_image2.jpg

The level of Unreal 2 The Awakening with the giant jumping spiders scared the fuck out of me.

Also, the cave in the Gerudo Desert in Twilight Princess that was pitch dark but full of giant spiders hanging from the ceiling.

I had nothing for this until I completed the Cyberpunk dlc and chose to

Spoiler

betray So Mi which, I've since read, triggers a good hours worth of hardcore survival horror, complete with blood dripping computer code effects.

I've spoilerfied this post, but I'm sure anyone who's completed phantom liberty will know why my knees are still knocking a day after getting thru it.

It's not much of a complaint because a lot of people regard the 'choice and consequence' thing that cyberpunk is going for as a kind of RPGer's holy grail. I sort of agree, but the second guessing myself when presented with options sometimes brings me out of the experience.

I'm a simple man. I like simple things.

Football Manager (ZX Spectrum)

The idea of taking a football management game and adding game highlight graphics way back in 1982 was so revolutionary.

I remember sitting compelled to the screen, just like you do watching live sport, as the chances came, goals went in etc.

So whilst it's no looker, in terms of artistic merit, the use of graphical representation of 'live' events is hugely notable in terms of video game history.

Screenshot_20231105-113122.png

It's in the picture for the question, but Shadow of the Colossus. It's rare you get a game that quiet, and one that critiques what games are as you play 

The Beginners Guide also popped in to my head the other day, that, but I think that more criticises 'ownership' of art, which is kind of timely with that "Beatles" song