passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

54 minutes ago, OCH said:

REmake 1 is another example. A solid 9/10 to me. But is it perfect? No.

This is one of my 10's tbh, it's as close to perfection as that style of game is ever going to get. To be fair I'd give the Resident Evil 2 Remake a 10 too as what they achieved with that game is magnificent.

26 minutes ago, Maf said:

So how perfect a game is, for me it’s become so less important than how fun is the game. 

Indeed. Two of my absolute favourites would apply. Binding of Isaac and Eternal Darkness. Neither is a "10/10" but I've got years of entertainment from both. 

19 minutes ago, Nag said:

This is one of my 10's tbh, it's as close to perfection as that style of game is ever going to get. To be fair I'd give the Resident Evil 2 Remake a 10 too as what they achieved with that game is magnificent.

The reason I wouldn't give it a 10/10 is because it is a remake. If REmake was an original release, on it's own merits, 10/10 without question. But because it is building on something that came before, the lack of originality brings it down to me. In purely subjective, arty-farty way.

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

@retroed  Doom is a great shout, but original Doom. I love the newer game, but there's a fair argument that at least one of the Wolfenstein games, and Doom Eternal are better, and none of them are a 10 (imo)

Yep, original Doom is the one I mean. My list is more or less in order of release, I think. Apart from SMB3 

I want to put a Bomberman on there, and it would probably be Bomberman '93, but Super Bomberman 2 on SNES is the one I've played the most.

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Try replaying it on 3D All-Stars, Galaxy is only perfect in our memories.

Not only is it still a 10 but it turns out Sunshine is also a 10. That box goes 30 for 30 even though it’s lazy as fuck

Hmm. From earliest to latest roughly.

Pacman

Super Mario World

Tekken 3

Gran Turismo 2

Metal Gear Solid

Colony Wars

Wipeout 2097

Smackdown 2

Red Alert

Worms Armageddon

GTA: San Andreas

Okami

Beyond Good and Evil

Prince of Persia: Sands of time

Guitar Hero 2

Battlefield 2

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Super Monkey Ball

Advance Wars

Pokemon Gold/Silver

Bully

Metroid Prime

Animal Crossing: Wild World

RezHD

Dragons Dogma

Borderlands 2

Halo Reach

Batman Arkham Asylum

Rockband 3

Call of Duty 4

Portal 2

Journey

Pacman DX

Fallout New Vegas

Vanquish

Spec Ops: The Line

Mass Effect 2

Burnout Paradise

Gears of War 2

Mark of the Ninja

Left 4 Dead 2

Fez

Bad Company 2

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Rocket League

Bloodborne

Into the Breach

Spelunky

11 hours ago, bellow said:

I have. It's just as perfect but a bit shinier.

It's not streamlined enough to be that good. You spend way too much time running around in a boring hub world and clicking away text boxes, only to then start a stage that lasts maybe five minutes and then go back to rinse and repeat. The motion controls also aged pretty horribly and feel even more tacked-on today as they did in 2007.

When it's good it's really good but unusually for Nintendo there's a lot of time-wasting nonsense in between the good stuff. Galaxy 2 has aged better for that reason IMO, I hope that one gets the HD treatment as well at some point.

The motion controls should only be judged by the original release. They were great on the Wii. I've never been convinced by the switch motion set up. Feels badly off to me.

4 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

there's a lot of time-wasting nonsense in between the good stuff

To be honest I never, in multiple playthrus, felt that about the hub. In fact I always liked it.

Making my list based on how I felt at the time. Not worrying about if they hold up today.

Super Mario World

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (linked together only)

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Fighters Megamix 

Resident Evil 2 (The original)

Half Life

Mario 64

Zelda OoT

Tony Hawks 3

God of War 2

Resident Evil Remake 

Project Gotham Racing 2

Burnout 3

God of War 3

Call of Duty 4

Forza Motorsport 4

Trials HD
Super Meat Boy

Rocket League

@Sly Reflex mentioning Sands of Time is a good shout. When that came out it was regarded as one of the best games of all time, rightly so, it was outstanding. For whatever reason I tend to forget about it, but it's definitely a 10. It came out around the same time as Resident Evil 4, within a year I'd say, that's a 10 too (DMC3 was around the same time, that's not bad either)