passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

I don't use Spotify either so I was just going to do a top 10 or top 5 favourite albums of the year, but I bought a bunch this weekend, and a couple of them seem really good

The standouts I will say are probably Birds in Row and Pup, which are very different in tone

• 5 weeks later...

I have about 23 albums released last year, with a few really good ones that released earlier so don't count, but this is, give or take, my top 10 albums of 2022

1. Birds In Row - Gris Klein (French hardcore band I only discovered towards the end of the year, but they are fucking great)

2. Pup - The Unravelling of Pup the Band (this was my album of the year for ages, Pup are fucking great. Easily my most listened to album)

3. Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There (an acquired taste, but BCNR are great. Their singer quit, so likely their next album have a different sound. If all we got was 2 albums then at least this was a great way to go out)

4. Crippled Black Phoenix - Banefyre (not as good as their previous album which was a bit special, but still a really good album with some really good songs (Blackout is another stand out track). They also really fucking hate the tories)

5. Monstahouse - It's Always Fear (seemingly this is really obscure based on the youtube views. It's packed with good songs but has some homemade sounding production, well worth a listen. Truth is a few albums could have been number 5 but I've been listening to Monstahouse regularly through the year)

I'm not going to put videos for the rest, but 5 notable mentions

Som - The Shape of Everything (like a metal My Bloody Valentine. I bought a bunch of albums the same day and this might be the stand out of them, but it was the start of December so recency bias might be coming in to it)

Lost In Kiev - Rupture (pretty sure these are French, and named prior to this year. Really good heavy post-rock. Bought at the same time as the Som album, and the more I listen the more it grows on me, but it just doesn't stand out as much as there's stuff like Maserati who sound similar to me)

The Depth Beneath Us - The Depth Beneath Us (As above, same day on bandcamp. Really good post-rock album, it's just a little similar to a few other things I've heard, which is more of a criticism than I mean as I like it a lot)

Destucto Disk - Bad Gravity (This is marked down a little because I loved how punk their earlier album/EP was (Punk Rock For Kids Who Can't Skate), Bad Gravity has moments of surf rock in it. It's good though, and Liminal Space is a song they couldn't have written on their earlier album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brxjr2z62Bw

Other Half - Soft Action (I saw these being raved about, but I've only had the album a couple of weeks. They'd likely have grabbed me more if I hadn't found Birds in Row the month before. It's good, I suspect I'll appreciate it more in a few months time

and to give a shout out to one of my favourite bands ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead put out their album Xi: Bleed Here Now. Their previous album came out right before lockdown, in fact I went to watch them the week before, that album (X: The Godless Void) is amongst my favourite ever albums. Xi doesn't live up to that, but does have probably my track of the year

I have 24 albums from last year, almost the same as you. I also like the BCNY album a lot. If I had to do a favourites list, it would be:

Archers of Loaf - Reason in Decline

I can’t claim to have ever given this band more than a passing listen before, but this is a great shot of indie guitar rock. Kind of like the last Strokes album, which I played to death too.

Arctic Monkeys - The Car

I always loved the first half of this album and the second half has grown on me too. I liked their last album but this is much more accessible and melodic. 

Beach House - Once Twice Melody

Going way, way back, I fell in love with Beach House when they released an album called Teen Dream in 2010. I gradually fell out of love with them as their music went in a more shoegazy direction. I think this is a return to form for them. It’s a 90 minute album divided into four parts but it’s very consistent quality wise and is a nice mix of their new and older sounds.

Beyonce - Renaissance

I don’t listen to pop or rnb, but this is great. It was the perfect soundtrack for the summer when it came out. I still listen to it occasionally, it’s an excellent album from start to finish. 

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain, I Believe in You

Silly name, great album. My favourite album of the year, from my favourite modern band. The five albums they have been released since 2016 have been pure gold. And I was lucky enough to see them live recently!

Hurray for the Riff Raff - Life on Earth

One of the cool new artists I discovered last year. Very cool singer-songwriter/synth-pop style album.

Jethro Tull - The Zealot Gene

2022 started with a bang with a new album from one of my favourite bands, and it’s great. It’s a classic JT album. I’ve been listening to it all year and I hope they keep going. Nobody else sounds like this.

S.G. Goodman - Teeth Marks

See what I said about Thomas Dollbaum.

The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention

Another album I’ve dipped in and out of all year. Very cool Radiohead side project that seems more likely to release their second album before we see the next Radiohead album. 

Thomas Dollbaum - Wellswood

One of two excellent straight-up singer songwriter albums that I loved last year.

Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow

Probably the newest album on this list, released in November. I guess this qualifies as singer-songwriter too. It’s mostly her playing the piano and singing. It’s quite a sombre and serious record, but it’s great.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Coming Soon:

Julian Simpson's fourth Lovecraft inspired series comes to BBC Radio Four from 30 Oct 23 !

You can listen to the other three "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward", "The Whisperer in Darkness" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" on BBC Sounds, collected under the broader header "The Lovecraft Investigations".

I like the way Simpson mixes the Lovecraft elements with other folklore and his own Pleasant Green setting all in a modern environment.

The Haunter of the Dark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My boss asked me what my favourite song the other day and I named a song I liked but was also office appropriate. I think my actual favourite song is Can I Live from Jay-Z

"We both outta town, man, what are you trying to get in too?" lol so slick 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been an excellent year for music so far. Been listening to these (the Animal Collective album is from 2023).

848F80B0-7350-4B9E-8E6E-C9C23407A57A.png

4626F81D-5BF9-4796-B5EA-756E2BA13815.png

Lots more good music coming out too by artists I like.

• 4 weeks later...