passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

I can imagine! I remember what I was like around that age and how impatient I was with this kind of thing! 

Onto the 3rd Ghibli film.

My Neighbour Totoro

Early days but first one of these I’ve not liked so far. Think it’s just more aimed squarely at children rather than actually being bad though. But yea, not for me. The shouty kids annoyed the fuck out of me. The cat bus was cool as shit though. Liked the big stupid Cheshire Cat grins all the animals had too. 

From what I recall, Kiki's Delivery Service (and Ponyo) is more aimed at kids than My Neighbour Totoro. When my nieces were young, one of them did not like Totoro's grin... 

Suppose some of the thing with Ghibli is their stories are often rooted in Japanese culture and mythology, and I certainly don't have the knowledge to be fully attuned to the themes portrayed or feelings they might generate (compared to if you already have an intrinsic understanding of the subjects covered).

eg The Wiki page for Totoro says:

"The film explores themes such as animism, Shinto symbology, environmentalism and the joys of rural living; "

So I had to Google those, and yes I can now see what they're getting at, but it's still all new to me, rather than being in my embedded cultural upbringing.

That explains the cat bus.

I felt that one was more childish simply because I found the 2 children insufferable with all the shouting (99% Mei tbh) & maknly focused on them so struggle to see how anyone over 16 could particularly enjoy it more than the symbolism to be honest. I am watching these in Japanese with Subtitles, don’t know if the English Dub is a bit less OTT. 

There is one Ghibli film that is a little less subtle with the environmentalism angle, but more playful than Princess Mononoke: Pom Poko. Still an enjoyable film though. It doesn't shy away from Tanuki nuts either..😄

wssUQjaxfF8jhJWuTkcxvE-1200-80.jpg

Babylon 5: The Road Home

The saddest part of this film is that it highlights how many of the original cast have since passed away since it aired. Key figures, such as Delenn and G'Kar, still have to be represented regardless. The former is essential in a Sheridan focused story. The surviving cast, all slip back into their roles very well. It's great to hear Peter Jurasik as Londo again. It has been nearly three decades since B5 now. So some voices sound naturally different due to the age of the actors EG Ivanova and Lennier. The replacement voices, do a serviceable enough job. No one sounds out of place, although they are clearly not the original actors.

The story is good and taps into key moments of lore from the show. The ending is very much what I thought it would be. I'm not talking about the resolution to the story either.

I liked the animation and found it quite fitting. Although the design of the Shadow Vessel didn't look as good as the shimmer effect of the original show, to me anyway. The likenesses are similarly solid. Although there was a moment with Starfury pilots that I was unsure who they were depicting? If anyone important/named was supposed to be implied??

I saw someone only question why this was "a cartoon?". The answer is so overwhelmingly obvious I'm surprised there were no sarcastic replies. (A) most of the principle cast are dead, and (b) those surviving are roughly 30 years older than they would look returning to their roles in the show. The 'Babylon 5 Forever' documentary in the special features was a nice send off too. 8/10

Ghibli #4

Kikis Delivery Service 

That was just a very pleasant viewing experience. Liked all the characters & just enjoyed watching it. A common theme I’m seeing in these so far is a love of animals too, they’ve been a notable part of all of them so far. Big fan of that. Loved Jiji in this.

Dungeons & Dragons 

Thought this was just boring TBH. Sorry. Disappointing after hearing it was good from a lot of places.

Conversely, I really enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons. It's not hilariously funny or anything, but it is well written and snappy, proper good family action film stuff. I'd heard good things but was still pleasantly surprised by it, definitely recommended 

I also watch The Meg 2. It's not terrible but it's not as fun as the original. Hard to say exactly what's wrong with it, other than its fairly obvious who is going to live and who isn't, but it's not terrible 

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 

3/4 of a slog before reaching an adequate ending. Almost every scene is shiny and clean with blatant green screens. The child in it is just annoying, but not in any way in a fun sense. Even Crystal Skull had more heart and a real sense of what an Indy film is. The music was even a let down. Inappropriate use of the theme and really flat.

5/10

I think 5/10 is fair for the Dial of Destiny. I went in expecting to be entertained but after a promising start I thought the film nosedived. Sounds like we enjoyed opposite ends of the movie though.

On the other hand, I agree with Blakey about the Meg 2. Was thoroughly entertained and never bored. Pretty much delivered exactly what I wanted.

I absolutely love My Neighbour Totoro by the way. I think it’s a rare perfect film.

I have seen the new Ghibli movie, not sure if I posted about it here? It’s very weird.

Infinity Pool

Very odd movie that’s high on sex, gore and violence. Recommended! It stars Mia Goth so you know you’re in for a fun time and is directed by brandon cronenberg. It’s only his second movie after possessor. What a great start to his career! 8/10

Extraction

This is a solid action film that is dense af so there’s not much to say about it other than it has some great fake one take action scenes. Expendables should have gone with this kind of director but instead they have Scott Waugh lol. David Harbour has a very small and predictable roll for about 5 minutes screen time which is a shame. I’ll watch the sequel later. 7/10

Annapurna's movie division is working on an animated adaption of Stray: https://www.vulture.com/article/stray-video-game-movie-details.html#:~:text=The little kitty from Stray,film division%2C Annapurna Animation%2C a.k.a.

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how I feel about 'buddy comedy'. While Stray does have its humorous moments, it was always just a part of it and helped to lighten the mood (and probably also because a po-faced game with a cat would never work). But I guess we'll see, maybe it's just a poor choice of words.

Malignant

I went into this not knowing what to expect. James Wan is hit and miss and for the first 20 minutes I thought it would be a miss. However once it picks up it’s really excellent. It has both a great story and a really fun monster design. 8/10

On 13/09/2023 at 21:25, mmmark said:

Malignant

I went into this not knowing what to expect. James Wan is hit and miss and for the first 20 minutes I thought it would be a miss. However once it picks up it’s really excellent. It has both a great story and a really fun monster design. 8/10

I watched this a while back and remember enjoying it. Thing is, when a friend was telling me to watch it, I couldn't remember a thing about it, to the point where he doubted I'd watched it 

It’s not often I start a film and don’t finish it but wow Barbie is a load of ass. I was hopeful after its praise that I’d find it at least a bit fun but nah I couldn’t have been more bored of it and turned it off with 30 minutes left. Every joke and turn is exceptionally predictable over and over and over again. 3/10

I watched Talk To Me last week. It's an Australian (and British funded) horror movie, and it's really good. It is one of those films though where not a huge amount happens, it isn't full of jump scares, it's just a well done version of what it is 

There's videos being passed around of supposed possession parties. Kids get together, hold this ceramic hand, and are possessed. A group of kids decide to get in on it to see for themselves, one thing leads to another that's the film