passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game Pass & Gold (Xbox & PC)

Hendo

Has the streaming bubble burst? After helping yourself to what interests you it basically becomes a waiting game. And there's just not enough quality coming quickly enough to sustain a subscription.

For me gaming is even harder to sustain than film and TV, and I fucked Netflix off months ago. Most gamers I know, including myself, have rather narrow interests. 

Guess it all depends upon your normal game spend and what you like playing. 

It's great for me as I've never really been one to buy AAA games Day One and tended towards more niche titles in online sales or games from a few years ago.

Cloud gaming has been generally surprisingly good too, meaning I can just jump straight into something new & different.

43 minutes ago, Nag said:

Play three or four games a year on it and it's pretty much paid for itself... you guys are nuts.😁

Like I say, it’s still absolutely a bargain but I dunno, when you get a couple of slow months it really stands out more IMO. 

I’m also still happy with it as I prefer Indie stuff in general which I’m still happy with but it felt like it used to do a much better job of mixing a few indie games with a couple of really big hitters. If they’d managed to get Jedi Survivor on there, or NFS Unboond closer to Launch, Dead Space Remake or RE4 Remake I think it would have made a huge difference. A couple of years ago we’d have probably gotten a couple of these, maybe even something like SFVI on there. But just doesn’t feel like that happens now. You have to wait much longer for bigger games to go on there.

I know, entitled much but still can’t help feel I’ve been a bit down on it for a while now. 

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

But you need to have that MMO brain I suppose

Definitely not got that! Even with how I feel towards GP lately that sounds insane to me lol. 

Yea I know but that too late. What I’m saying is they need to get them closer or at release. The hype and interest has died down by now so they lose the excitement. Plus been able to get Unbound for under £25 for a while now so loses the value a bit too. Especially if you buy physical and sell on. 

7 minutes ago, mfnick said:

they need to get them closer or at release

It's a cake and eat it situation though isn't it? EA still want to make money on the physical/digital releases before dropping them on to EA play or whatever it's called. I don't really have any issues with that if I'm honest.

I keep thinking about renewing my game pass, but I don't think I'd get the use out of it. I think the year I had when I got my S I did pretty well, played a load of Forza and quite a few other things as well, so it felt like decent value, but I'm not sure I'd get the same value at the moment

I don’t have a problem with it either. It all makes sense but a year or 2 ago those type of gets were on GP and they’re not now. So even though I still like the service it still feels like it’s taken a step backwards. 

Most likely because a year or two ago they had barely any first-party games. These deals don't get made overnight and internally they likely saw 2023 as the year where their first-party train started rolling so they probably made the choice to invest less in big costly 3rd party titles for the service and just keep people occupied with a good indie selection between their own games. Which, as we found out, internally must have looked like a strong lineup because everyone was ignoring the warning signs coming out of Arkane.

Looks like, along with the Game Pass price hike, the Xbox Gold stacking trick has been changed... it's no longer 1:1 but works out at 3:2 now.

psa-1-1-gold-to-gpu-seems-to-be-gone-v0-7rz7u07g6eab1.png

Still works out cheaper the just buying Ultimate of course. I'm good until sometime in 2025 and I'm amazed this was a thing for quite as long as it was.

End of an Era as Microsoft Replaces Xbox Live Gold With Game Pass Core
Core update.

Microsoft has announced the upcoming end of Xbox Live Gold, over 20 years after it first launched.

Xbox Live Gold ends September 14 and will be replaced by Game Pass Core, which Microsoft described as “an evolution” of Xbox Live Gold. Core includes access to online console multiplayer and gives subscribers a collection of over 25 games to play on Xbox Series X and S and Xbox One for $9.99 a month or $59.99 a year.

Among Us
Descenders
Dishonored 2
Doom Eternal
Fable Anniversary
Fallout 4
Fallout 76
Forza Horizon 4
Gears 5
Grounded
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo Wars 2
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Human Fall Flat
Inside
Ori & The Will of the Wisps
Psychonauts 2
State of Decay 2
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

More games to be announced, and more games added a few times a year. 

Seems similar to the one Sony have just stopped doing