passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

crackdown_2-4810594-9984.jpg

GameCentral readers name and shame their least favourite sequels, from Resident Evil 6 to Assassin’s Creed Unity.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Grackle, who asked what follow-up have you found the most disappointing and why?

We had plenty of different suggestions from all eras of gaming but there were a few names that popped up multiple times, namely Capcom’s Devil May Cry 2 and Resident Evil 6, and the reliably unpopular Mass Effect: Andromeda.

?

I've thought about this and although there are actually quite a few sequels, when I look back, that turned me off a series altogether EG MGS 4, Dark Souls 2 etc I'm going to go with Silent Hill: Homecoming. Literally the antithesis of everything the series should be, and although I did finish it, nothing about it was beyond 'insulting' to any fan of the series.

Most people seem to like these games but Mario Kart Wii was sort of Ok but I didn’t really like it, and then Mario Kart 7 was so bad that when I finally was done with it I swore off ever playing Mario Kart again. 

Thankfully I did end up playing Mario Kart 8 and I think it’s the best the series has ever been and one of my favourite racing games of all time (100% it twice both in Wii U and Switch)

But those ones that came before it really almost turned me off the series forever. 

My two favourite games in the Mario Kart series are The Original and Double Dash. I must admit I've drifted away from the series (no driving pun intended) since DD. The handheld games I particularly didn't care for. Fighters and Racers really do not belong on handheld systems.

I'm trying to think of a better example, but in terms of a drop off from one game to the other, Fighting Force 2 would take some beating. It went from a fun, if messy, brawler, to the most boring and bland 3rd person shooter.

Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 are both really poor, and really damaging to the series after what had gone before

I can’t really think of a better example for me than Assassin’s Creed 3.

We got the fantastic Ezio double of 2 and Brotherhood - I didn’t play Revelations much before giving up - and I was so ridiculously hyped for 3. 3 was in an entirely new setting with an entirely new assassin to play as and I just couldn’t wait.

Then it came out and was a steaming pile of garbage. 

I've been thinking about this today and struggling... The one game I've come back to is a weird pick for me, Need for Speed : Shift 2.

I loved the first Shift game and this dropped and it just felt off in every way... I binned it off after spending very little time with it.

Assassin's Creed 3 is a great shout too, absolutely shit.

Final Fantasy XIII was a big step backwards from XII. Dragon Quest XI was disappointing.

Age of Empires 3 and Black and White 2 were two sequels that completely lacked the charm of their predecessors I think.

I didn’t like the change in direction Jak and Daxter took after the first game. The same goes for GTA, one of my favourite series on PS2. IV was far from a bad game but it wasn’t quite the same experience. 

Also Broken Sword 3 wasn’t a bad game but it was a far cry from the previous 2D games. In terms of shit sequels, you can’t top Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Serious drop in quality from the first game.

I didn’t particularly think the early PS2 WWF/WWE games were very good, having loved Know Your Role on the PS1, but they picked up the ball again with Here Comes the Pain.

poster-mvc1_big-03d1.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss their favourite ever video game sequels, from Metal Gear Solid 2 to Batman: Arkham City.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader NL, as a counter to last week’s Hot Topic about the worst sequels ever made. From franchise reboots to incremental improvements we wanted to know what you think has been the best ever video game follow-up.

Interestingly, most tended to be fairly old games, such as Street Fighter II, Half-Life 2, and Zelda: A Link To The Past, with relatively few modern sequels getting a look in.

1 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

2 - Super Mario Bros 2 

3 - Mario Kart: Double Dash 

4 - Suikoden 2

5 - Final Fantasy 9 

6 - Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

7 - Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance

8 - Resident Evil: Nemesis

9 - Silent Hill 2

10 - Mega Man 3

That's ten, in no particular order. Honourable mentions to Tekken 3, Hitman: Blood Money and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

God of War 2 would have to be one of mine. The first was incredible but 2 is a masterpiece. 

PGR 2 - possibly best racing game of all time.

Gears of War 2 was a big step up IMO and made me really start to love that series. 

Resident Evil 2 - best one in the series (apart from REmake) 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

Sonic Racing Transformed - Best Kart racer ever. 

Probably the biggest leap as a sequel is Street Fighter 2. I've never been the biggest SF2 fan, even at the time, but it was a huge leap over the first game 

Streets of Rage 2 is my favourite sequel, but it's my favourite game. Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Garou Mark of the Wolves, most of my favourite games are sequels 

A couple of mine have already been mentioned, Resident Evil 2 and Gears of War 2... Both built on the foundations of the first games excellently.

I'll also chuck out Dead Space 2, which bettered the first game in every single way.

Favourite Console Maker:

Well, it's got to be Grandstand.

For those of us old enough to remember the early 80s the Grandstand TV console full of pong variants or a dedicated handheld game such as Astro Wars or Invaders from Space was really what got most of the UK initially hooked on home video games.

https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/do-you-remember-these-classic-grandstand-games

I've never seen a comprehensive record of Grandstand's history and ( I suppose) eventual demise as home computers took over.