passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I've brought it up before. But the first online match I played in a Fighter was MvC3. Launch day, well, here anyway. Bear in mind the variance of the launch window wasn't an unreasonable amount of time at all:

NA: February 15, 2011

JP: February 17, 2011

EU: February 18, 2011

I'd assumed we'd all be at the same level. This game, I thought, surely played different enough from MvC 2 that everyone would be on a level playing field. Wrong. 

Some random picked Thor. I didn't even land a single hit. Not being remotely competitive anymore. Losing to several perfect rounds, didn't rile me enough to jump back in. But disconnect and return to the single player options.

Probably. But that's not what I expected for Day One of any game's release. My reaction was just "Ok. That's what online is like. Let's do something else, that's actually fun." 

Oddly enough, I did try an online match one more time. It was a Dragonball Z game on the Wii. I don't know if anyone else here had the pleasure of Wii online play? But both of us might as well have been controlling 50 people each. From all the lag and disjointed hit boxes...

21 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I think, and I'd like to omit present company because I'm sure you are lovely people, but the FGC as a whole are utter cunts. Playing Street Fighter IV ranks pretty high up on the hate mail I got during my tenure with xbox. It's not a pleasant community to find your feet in.

I'd say that's more of a place in time thing where the 360 era there was more shit talking.  I've only had a few times this happened while playing SFV and DBFZ a lot and to be honest I enjoyed fucking with the salty gits when it did happen.  Just responding with "GG 🙂" can be enough.

Part of the reason I continued to play gg on ps4 for a bit was to see if I could get more of those kinds of messages, and send them off to scrubquotes. People on steam never send you these kinds of things, they're too normal and boring

I got one of message put on scrubquotes one time, something about i-no being brain dead and random supers, you could probably find it (can't find it now myself). If the guy who you fought is that emotionally devastated how is that not a W

xcom_2_review_screenshots_soldiers_mag-cannon.jpg

Readers reveal the non-multiplayer games they’ve completed the most, from Into The Breach to Final Fantasy 7.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Chevy Malibu (PSN ID), and while technically you could nominate a multiplayer game, we were more interested in games you come back to every few years to play through again.

To our surprise (and approval) XCOM 2 was by far the most popular pick, in fact we’ve seldom known a Hot Topic to be so dominated by a single game. Especially as many of the other choices were also turn-based strategies.

I've always been one to replay games that I enjoy multiple times, I can't imagine never playing something you enjoyed ever again... replaying stuff is how I use the time between the releases I know I want.

I guess to answer the question it would be any of the mainline games in the Gears, Resident Evil or Dead Space franchises, all of those have been played multiple times (on multiple consoles 😂) Final Fantasy VIII is up there too.

I used to play ffvii once a year. dmc I've replayed a lot obviously cause I don't think the games really settle in their mechanics until the 2nd playthrough, so imo a replay is a necessity 

I actually put 122 hours into pathologic 2, roughly 3 playthroughs not counting the aborted first one, which I definitely didn't expect when I bought it first.

most is one of the Football Managers, as boring an answer as that is. There's a couple I've put literal months worth of time in to. As much as I played Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Fallout NV, Witcher 3, all of them combined won't match the time I put in to the Switch Football Manager I played

In terms of the game I've played the most often, it's likely Streets of Rage 2, again probably by a distance

What !?!? You completed Football Manager ? 🤣

Yep, this is the issue I had with the question, it specifically mentions completions rather than number of hours.

So I've probably (on PC then 360) completed Oblivion about 8 times, but heaven only knows how many hours I've sunk into it.

Also I put in so many hours into Tetris (on various formats) and have seen the 'space shuttle' take off many times (if that counts as completion?). 

So total completions then - probably however many times I played 'Hearts' on a Windows PC.

Man I’ve got loads, especially the more retro stuff.

Rocket Knight Adventure, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Shining Force 2, Shining the Holy Ark, Panzer Dragoon Saga (I had lots of spare time when I was younger), Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, REmake, Castlevania 64 (don’t ask), God of War 1-3, Devil May Cry 1.

These are the ones off the top of my head. Completed each at least 5-10 times, some many more. 

While Binding of Isaac would be my boring answer. I think Roguelikes kind of cheat the question.

Eternal Darkness, comes to mind as a genuine answer. Aside from the fact you have to complete it three times to get the True Ending. In spite of not playing it, or a Gamecube in many years now. I've completed ED so much, I can quote dialogue and visually talk you through the game. FF7, I could give the exact same answer. 

Shining Force 2 (a great shout) and Vandal Hearts, similarly. I've completed them both so thoroughly and often. I've tested every character promotion variation (via each game's Job system) to max level.

Banjo Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, Hybrid Heaven, Mystical Ninja, Perfect Dark, Tekken 3, Alien Hominid, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Smash Bros Melee, RE: Nemesis, Vagrant Story. Every secret and unlock found without guides. Whenever I've been really captivated by a game, I get everything there is out of it.

1 hour ago, shinymcshine said:

What !?!? You completed Football Manager ? 🤣

Completely misread it, thought it was just the most played question 🤦‍♂️

In that case it's Streets of Rage 2. There's probably a few fighting games up there, and the original Streets of Rage

I've probably gone through shorter Mega Drive games a lot like the Sonic games, Streets of Rage games, Gunstar Heroes and things like that at the time (and probably a lot more), and occasionally since.  Mario 3 and World on the Nintendo side.  Out of longer games Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime (and 2) are games I've gone through numerous times.  The Last of Us may be the most recent game I think I've gone through 3 or 4 times.  

But I have some on the deck I want to play through again.  DMC5 I may do again.

6 hours ago, Nag said:

I've always been one to replay games that I enjoy multiple times, I can't imagine never playing something you enjoyed ever again... replaying stuff is how I use the time between the releases I know I want.

This is me. I can hardly to to think of a game that clicked with me that I haven't replayed. My favourite genre, Western RPGs, lend themselves to that second or third run, especially when you can (as is mostly the case these days) choose different specialities for your character. I'm on my fourth run at Skyrim right now.

I also like the relaxed feel of that second or third run. Having beaten the game previously I tend to take things slowly, exploring more and looking for content missed the first time. Consequently, later playthrus can become lengthy affairs and more memorable because of it.

one that's in the question - into the breach - completed this loads but it's sort of supposed to be completed loads so not sure.

don't often play through games more than once, so it'd be mostly short games for me: rez, deathsmiles, super mario kart, child of eden, tetris, dirt rally, persona 4 dancing all night, wave race.

Probably Rez. There was a period where we'd all get online and play Halo 3, but before that I'd play it from start to finish a few times trying to get #1 on the leaderboards. I put the completion rates at 3 figures, but no more than 500, that seems a bit excessive. It was a lot though, the game was maybe 20m from one end to the other so you had a fast turn around if you were doing the back to back.

I don't typically replay SP games as the surprise is lost on a second playthrough and I'd rather play something else once I'm done with that game.

That being said I have enjoyed replaying a few games the past year or two with trophies attached, I think I finished RE Village about 3 or 4 times, that was probably the most recent example of a game I replayed the most. 

I did this a lot when I was younger, when I didn’t have many games. Especially my PS1 games, I played through the PS1 FFs and Spyros multiple times up until around the age of 15 or so.

Maybe one of the last games I ever replayed was A Dog’s Life on PS2. For some reason I have lot of fond memories of that game.