passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

I've started reading Howard Scott Warshaw's book "Once Upon Atari", which got me thinking about the early videogames I played.

I think my first arcade games would have been around the late 70s, and whilst I definitely recall things like Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender, Battlezone and Pacman, it was the earlier generation of black & white display games that got me really hooked.

They were titles such as Boot Hill, Sprint, Atari Basketball, Lunar Lander and Night Driver (and there was also an air combat one, where you could choose to play as biplanes or jets too) - noting too that they had more than just basic buttons / joystick, but instead a revolver handles, steering wheels, thrust handles and trackballs - and all seemed a whole world away from the basic 'Grandstand' plug home TV console of the day.

Ah, nostalgia....

@merman1974 do you know if there's any comprehensive record of these B&W arcade games - I think a few got VCS conversions (the biplane/jet one is in Combat) but it'd be great to see a bunch of images or screenshots & cabinets from that period to see what I've forgotten (there was one that involved being a frog jumping between lilypads catching flies that I've just remembered too...(update - that was unsurprisingly called "Frogs" developed by Gremlin Industries, CA, who later became a subsidiary of Sega)

31 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

I've started reading Howard Scott Warshaw's book "Once Upon Atari", which got me thinking about the early videogames I played.

I think my first arcade games would have been around the late 70s, and whilst I definitely recall things like Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender, Battlezone and Pacman, it was the earlier generation of black & white display games that got me really hooked.

They were titles such as Boot Hill, Sprint, Atari Basketball, Lunar Lander and Night Driver (and there was also an air combat one, where you could choose to play as biplanes or jets too) - noting too that they had more than just basic buttons / joystick, but instead a revolver handles, steering wheels, thrust handles and trackballs - and all seemed a whole world away from the basic 'Grandstand' plug home TV console of the day.

Ah, nostalgia....

@merman1974 do you know if there's any comprehensive record of these B&W arcade games - I think a few got VCS conversions (the biplane/jet one is in Combat) but it'd be great to see a bunch of images or screenshots & cabinets from that period to see what I've forgotten (there was one that involved being a frog jumping between lilypads catching flies that I've just remembered too...)

The original Supercade covered some (volume 2 is shipping).

The Games That Weren’t book includes a few unreleased arcade games from that era. But I am not sure of any book specifically aimed at that era.

Just a little vent. 

Fucking loot man. I’m getting really fucked off with it in every fucking game. Now it’s not loot in general which is bad. It’s the sheer damn amount of it. Playing Wo Long which is another in a long line of games that just overwhelms you with shit constantly. It’s made getting new armour and weapons etc. no longer exciting. I got 600+ bits of equipment in Wo Long (the game has a counter) and I used like 10 of them & only stuck with a handful. What’s the point? It just becomes a chore sorting through it all & removes all excitement about getting any like I said.

Not only that but a lot of these games which do a ton of loot like this always have such small pointless increments. +2% in a stat. Who gives a fuck about 2% really? The last couple of AC games I played were full of loot like this too. Or they always reduce stats in other areas too much to make them worthwhile. I just much prefer games which are far more restrained with loot and where it’s just much more meaningful and bigger jumps when you get them.

Dont know why it angers me so much but it’s really winding me up more and more currently. & for the most part you can ignore it like I did in Wo Long, so it doesn’t really matter. But I feel it’s really effecting my enjoyment in progressing in some of these games not getting those significant and exciting new weapons, armour sets etc. anymore. 

I know what you mean - I'm just 5 hrs into Outer Worlds and already feel like I'm just picking up loads of useless sh*te.

Then again, it's nothing new, way back in Dungeon Siege (2002) they let you take a line of pack mules to carry all your useless garbage.

From what I heard with the team ninja stuff, the loot stuff is really there for the extreme meta that comes in the NG+ playthroughs. At least, that's what I've heard. It's pretty ignorable for most players.

But yeah, outside of something like that I think it's used to create an impression of false depth in games where it's not needed. I'd guess that the Nioh games actually use it well. But there's definitely lots of trend chasing shite out there.

If you want to look for a particularly bad example of loot behaviour, for scientific research or something, go download Cyberpunk. That whole game is systems upon systems and items and loot everywhere, but it doesn't build upon each other in a complete way.

It was the OG Mass Effect where this annoyed me the most.  It's made annoying particularly because it's such a chore to manage.  We also are bloody magpies that have to pick everything up out of a fear of missing out.

I do like the feature some of these games have that clearly mark how it ranks compared to your current equipment and you can sell it or break it down on the spot.  It just helps with management.  But this gets harder in games where equipment has lots of different properties.

Alternatively, having less frequent and meaningful loot is always a solid way to go.  

I loved how in that game all the body models were the same. The was a quest chain you did for an old lady and she was all haggard and lined over her face and neck, then she had perfect 10/10 tits on show and an hourglass figure. No effort to smooth over the joins between the head and the body, just a straight line where they joined the old head on the young body.

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded The Last Case of Benedict Fox yesterday, I'm not sure I'll even get round to playing the thing but weirdly there seems to be zero reviews for it anywhere...

I think I remember vaguely watching a video of it awhile ago if it’s a spooky themed adventure game? If not I’ve no idea.

Not sure what this broken Star Wars game is either lol, people are so overly dramatic these days, I mean it isn’t very well optimised on PC and that’s shit, yes, but perfectly fine on XSX/PS5 if it’s the SW game I think you’re talking about. 

I’m about 4 hours in on on PS5 and not had any issues whatsoever 🤷‍♀️ 

32 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

think I remember vaguely watching a video of it awhile ago if it’s a spooky themed adventure game? If not I’ve no idea

Yeah... think it's a Metroidvania style game.

Benedict Fox is a Cthulhu Metroid game in essence.

I agree that a lot of Jedi Survivor stuff is basically nitpicking (at least going from DF's analysis) but on the other hand this is a game from a studio that has proven to be capable of doing so much more (Titanfall 2 is a technical masterpiece on last-gen) that I think it's right to let EA know their deadline was too tight. 

A game being broken can be really subjective when it comes to bugs. People said Cyberpunk was very broken but I saw nothing really that weird, but then I watched video compilations of the issues and it was crazy time shit show looking at it. Sometimes you just don't trip on the conditions that cause these things

Like I saw this, seems pretty weird. And funny lol