passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

The fact that a game like Spiderman can be really successful, but also not that successful when you look at its margins and the layoffs speaks to something really wrong in the industry. iirc there was a thing a few years ago speaking to the fact that their software attachment rate was also a bit underwhelming, even when the hardware was selling well. 

Agree that it feels a bit precarious looking at them at the moment, even if they aren't in as obvious a 'bad' spot like MS are, all those project cancellations seem like they've got themselves in a difficult position

edit and DF point out that Insomniac are basically carrying the PS5 right now, and their statement about these layoffs betrays more than a little (v justified) indignation at this outcome

Pretty much all of AAA publishing is lazy as fuck. There might be a shining star abound the skies of mediocrity, but I feel we'd lose nothing truly important if we let it fail. What would be built on it's corpse would be a fertile ground for something we could give a shit about. 

Just watched/listened to the DF podcast. Yeah, I've never seen them so worked up for a topic, but rightly so I'd say.

Regarding software attachment on Playstation, I think that's a difficult unit of measurement to evaluate. Statistically the most successful consoles usually have the lowest attachment ratios because they inherently also target more mainstream/casual audiences who don't buy many games. On the other hand, commercial failures like Dreamcast, Vita and WiiU have some excellent numbers in that regard because they were picked up exclusively by devotees.

I think the Switch is a weird outlier here, where it has a massive install base but its games also sell numbers that can make your head spin.

Both these tweets are wrong and one day I will write my essay on the difference between Zelda-likes and Metroidvanias and why the new Zelda’s are absolutely still definitively Zelda. It will be my magnum opus. 

Today I learned that there were two PC-exclusive FPS games based on Disney's Atlantis movie back in the day, which I'd easily put into the 'weirdest movie tie-ins ever made' group. Seems like they were pretty bad, but I miss those days when nothing was really off the table.

I was reminded of some games recently.  One being Cosmic Spacehead.  I weird point & click / platformer from Codemasters on the Megadrive: 

2211106-cosmic_spacehead.jpg

It was obtuse as hell but that's pretty typical for the genre, even well remembered ones.

And also Puggsy, which looking it up is an early Traveller's Tales title:

puggsy_menu.png

This was a very Fantastic Dizzy style puzzle platformer but I always preferred this at the time.  It just looked better and had some pretty nice pixel graphics despite the 'weird little guy' character.

I think it's just another case of these very European games getting lost in our American-centric games media.  Cosmic Spacehead I can kinda understand being forgotten but I remember Puggsly being legit decent, as much as other flawed but fondly remembered games.  

8 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

One being Cosmic Spacehead. 

Holy Shit!! That’s just unlocked a very old lost memory. That’s one my mum played with me when I was young. I’ve not thought of that game for years! I’ve not even seen it pop up or heard it mentioned since back then. Wow. Thank you for that. 

Oh my god it still works. I haven’t used the Vita in years 

IMG_0610.jpeg

The last notifications on it are from 2015 lol

The realest way to play Persona 4? 🤔

IMG_0611.jpeg

It's funny but after that Sunday question about dissonance in gaming I just had a pallette cleaning playthru of Uncharted 2. Feck me I just don't remember the sheer amount of slaughter in that game - gunfight after gunfight, and wave after wave of rather tough enemies. (I've died a bit, I can tell ya).

It was actually a bit annoying, and I don't remember feeling that way back in the day. Maybe I've just become too much of an open world RPG-er of late.

Pallette cleansed tho, and I might actually fire up FF7 remake after putting it in the 'sacked that off' thread. Maybe that kind of laid back affair is more this old gent's speed these days.

• 2 weeks later...

God damn, my man. I have that and the original DS version but I dunno if it has a green spine. I mean I could get up and check, but who does things like that

Mine was also opened and played. But my DS one is still sealed like new

• 2 weeks later...

DF made an hour-long video about videogame water:

I might grind through this in short lunch break steps, it's a funny idea for a video. Also kind of cool to see Hydrophobia in the thumbnail, I randomly replayed that last year (hasn't aged well, but the water still looks great).