passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

For me I found it shallow because I walked away from it not feeling enriched or moved or even left with anything to think about. Just like oh the people at the top are bastards. Oh absolute power corrupts absolutely. Oh they’re all in capes. How original. 

It doesn’t have to be boundary pushing it’s just you said it was bold. I assume bold is doing something new or doing something big. But in what way does this show do that? It’s in your face and and very loud. But I don’t think it’s bold. I just think it’s over the top.

I don’t remember those characters. I just remember the Australian guy running round going “let’s fucking kill ‘em” and then Huey being like the only good guy in the show because they know you need someone to relate too. But it didn’t work for me, I thought they were all unlikeable or dull. Including Starlight and spoilers but

Spoiler

Even she loses her way right and she turns sort of dark and stuff by the end because she thinks Huey betrayed her or something? I forget the specifics

Point is I thought the show was super obvious and shallow. Not to say there weren’t moments where the shock value worked or a story beat go me or whatever. But now we’re talking about it and I’m thinking about it I can’t pull a thing I thought was interesting about the show. I thought it’s ideas were very one note

I think the takeaway is that we can only save ourselves.  Not hope that some strong man will do it, because a strong man may not be trustworthy.  

You can call it trite and cynical but it's true.  I don't even think it is cynical, there's actually hope in that; that strength is in the people around you, as imperfect as they are as long as long as you have a just cause.  The show is about the trials and tribulations that get in the way but they ultimately get over them.

The stuff Starlight goes through is very real, and to write it off as dull is just... something.  She's a total trooper and an absolute hero despite everything.  Huey is an audience insert but he slips into being shitty a lot.  MM is the moral compass of that group, not Huey (he tries but falls into the "nice guy" trap and ends being a naive cunt sometimes).

I'm a page behind with this but I'm not sure there's a piece of popular media more childish than Superman. I think that's why you get stuff like Brightburn (I think that's what it was called), The Boys etc, and it's why Batman was always the more interesting character and grew in popularity in the 90s while Superman faded

Even Superman stories in other media throw in bad Superman because his core character just isn't very interesting

Superman is or can be childish but because of stuff like The Boys that type of character has come full circle to be refreshing again. It’s not identical ideas but it’s why Cap America is the best MCU character because good at all costs is a light in a sea of shit that is The Boys or Invincible or Peacemaker it’s just like whatever. 

Clever deconstruction of superheroes can be enjoyable but running around shouting about fish fucking and getting your cock out is not that. Taking the idea of corrupt authority and what that means or would be like with superheroes is just. I think its that idea that when someone is hopeful you call them naive but when someone is cynical you call them smart. I think that is just what happens with things like The Boys. It’s like oh it’s punching at our world through it’s, how clever. It’s like no, you know what’s better? Punching at our world through it’s and showing the right path through it

Superman is the perfect superhero for the modern day with all the naked corruption, inaction, love of cynicism and everything is a hopeless joke that we live in. The biggest failure of the comic book media craze is that they never did Superman right. It’s so much more interesting for a character to rally against the satire than to swim in it

I’ve been watching The Old Man starring Jeff Bridges as… an old man …with a mysterious past that catches up with him in a way that sees people sent to kill him and do so unsuccessfully.

Its pretty well written and acted, especially by the dude, and has some surprises as it tells its story at its own pace occasionally going back to how the beginning of the end began.

The fact is, if you're going to accuse The Boys of being unoriginal in anything it would be better to target how it exploits genre fiction as a satirical lens to interrogate different subject matter, cause it isn't the first or last bit of media to do that. Twin Peaks did it with soap opera, TP itself isn't a soap opera (at least, until the latter half of season 2) but uses the genre fiction as a facade in enabling the telling of a horror story about a town's complicity in abuse. In other media, Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 uses boilerplate science fiction to work through the writer's feelings about the Dresden firebombings, a real thing that happened. Not to turn this into a book report but to stress again how completely irrelevant anyone's feelings about Superman are to the meat of a show like this when it is just a lens to focus on something else entirely. It really isn't about comic book stuff at all, at least not to a particularly meaningful or interested degree, anymore than Twin Peaks is about soap operas

I figure tho the thread wants to move on from this and I'm repeating myself here so I'll drop it I guess.

2 hours ago, mmmark said:

I’ve been watching The Old Man starring Jeff Bridges as… an old man …with a mysterious past that catches up with him in a way that sees people sent to kill him and do so unsuccessfully.

Its pretty well written and acted, especially by the dude, and has some surprises as it tells its story at its own pace occasionally going back to how the beginning of the end began.

Is this based on the HP Lovecraft story "The Terrible Old Man"?

So I finished Netflix Resident Evil last night, I'm not going to pretend it's great or anything but I got a certain amount fun out of it, there's some nice nods to the games (which did happen in this universe) and some decent effect work and gore... the actual zombies are rubbish though as they aren't actually zombies.

Funnily I think I actually preferred the pre-apocalypse timeline in some ways as that's where the surprises are. I know this has been ripped to shreds by a lot of people but in reality it's far from the carcrash it's been made out to be... hopefully we'll get a second season because obviously it's ended with plenty of places to go but Netflix will do Netflix so who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandman

Just finished this on Netflix. Didn’t know anything about it or the character really but properly enjoyed it. Almost checked out at the weird gargoyle thing and that “fight” in Hell was just properly stupid and shit but apart from those small bits it was great.

Hope Constantine is in it more if they do another. She is gorgeous