passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

I have no idea where that 108 games number comes from, there's absolutely no way I've even booted up that many, demos included.

qs7bJ5w.png

Top 3 games were Overwatch 2 (which explains the big shooter percentage), SF6 and AC Valhalla. Which is funny because I have no particular strong feelings about any of them. Just big timesinks early on from which I moved on since.

Xbox next as early as 2026?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/12/18/next-gen-xbox-console-due-early-2026-claim-sources-19991966/

In some ways (if it is a brand new console and not a Pro version) I could get behind this... six years is a decent length of time to spend with the Series X.

In some ways though it almost seems like Microsoft have painted themselves in to a corner... I'd prefer them not to have two different SKU's next time around but the fact it's the cheapest one selling the best this time doesn't fill me with optimism.

They were apparently outdated paperwork and plans change so who knows... I can see 2028 for the next Playstation, especially if the Playstation 5 Pro model turns out to be true. I could also see Microsoft giving it a go trying to get ahead like the 360 generation... going head to head with release dates plainly isn't working.

Releasing your system too far in advance could be a detriment as well though, looking back at something like the Dreamcast. Sony has the ability to freeze the market until their system comes out, promising the better thing at the horizon and making people wait for that instead.

I'll admit though, with how these next machines will likely turn out (digital-only across the board, with a nice little Cloud icing on top for Microsoft), the entire industry crumbling under AAA budgets, good developers being asked to do the impossible and then laid off when it doesn't work out--yeah, I'm not really looking forward to the next thing. And I think the later it arrives, the better it will be.

Games don’t need to look any better at all. Far too much extra work for a barely noticeable difference. We’re at ultimate diminishing returns. 

However I wouldn’t say no to more power to make current games run at 60fps on equivalent high/quality settings. But as we all know that extra power would just end up getting used to for little extra graphical difference and knock us back to 30 again so would be pointless. 

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't even know Ara was first-party. Microsoft really has a questionable amount of studios under their wing.

Looking forward to finding out what Indy is about. Hopefully it's not just Uncharted with a whip.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this was pretty solid and everything's coming out this year, too.

Indy being 1rst person was surprising but makes sense considering the developer. Seems to be more classic Tomb Raider than Uncharted which is absolutely a good thing IMO. Only negative about it are the character models, those faces do not look good at all.

Avowed looks super janky but also way prettier than before, really excited for that. Hellblade is weird but the talk about every sound being binaural sounds intriguing. Not really sure what Mana was doing here but I'll take it.

Ara's not my cup of tea but I realise some people will forget to eat and sleep while playing it.

Meh. 

Kind of interested in Hellblade. Been showing it for so long though I’m just not really bothered anymore.

Wouldn’t normally be bothered about an Indiana Jones game, but got my eye on it purely because of Machinegames. But nothing shown got me excited.

The format for the presentation is excellent, and It’s good to see lots of variety in games, I just don’t think the games look very good. 

Graphics on Avowed look ass. Dunno what’s wrong with it. The lighting or something. Looks crap, though. The gameplay looks boring as well.

Hellblade 2 has the opposite problem like, how is that game going to run on an Xbox? I also didn’t think the first game was that good so not really excited for this

More first person stealth from Machine Games…what a terrible idea anyway for a game based around a iconic character, especially after they already made 2 games where they sucked at it and here comes a third 

Ara looked interesting, actually, but no way do I have the attention span for all that reading or the brains for long term thinking. 

I hate to be down on Xbox because I love the console but the games just aren’t hot.