passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The 'barbieheimer' mashup thing is so weird to me considering one of those films is about how 1000s of civilians got incinerated and horrible radiation sickness in what is historically speaking not such a long time ago.

I dunno, irreverent memes are weird sometimes 

I thought you where going to go with "and the other is Oppenheimer"

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The 'barbieheimer' mashup thing is so weird to me considering one of those films is about how 1000s of civilians got incinerated and horrible radiation sickness in what is historically speaking not such a long time ago.

It's just a bit of fun really, I get that one of them focuses on some pretty horrific stuff but the whole double feature and having these two come out on the same day and which order etc. people see them on is where it comes from.

I dig it personally, I probably could've done with seeing Barbie first after the Friday I had but nevertheless both exceeded by expectations and then some.

6 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

1000s of civilians got incinerated and horrible radiation sickness in what is historically speaking not such a long time ago.

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

It's just a bit of fun really

😆

As weird as Barbieheimer is when you think of what the two things are it's just nice because everything usually turns into an obnoxious competition where you nail your flag to one thing and just shows it's okay for an individual to be interested in or enjoy these very different things for what they are.  Like the Doom/Animal Crossing thing was the same thing and I liked the whole idea around that too.

It's all not that important but I prefer to see it, personally.

4 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I dig it personally, I probably could've done with seeing Barbie first after the Friday I had but nevertheless both exceeded by expectations and then some.

Blimey - tits blown off twice in 24 hours !!!

(Mmm, given subject matter of both films, maybe it's not the best expression......)

1 hour ago, shinymcshine said:

maybe it's not the best expression......

To get me in the mood for Oppenheimer. I did watch the dream sequence from Terminator 2 again😄

1 minute ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Should watch Twin Peaks instead

Can't say I ever have. But the dream sequence was a favourite of mine as a kid*. I remember being enamoured by the power of it. To a little city kid, a building/tower block/skyscraper is akin to a mountain. A vast, immovable object. Then watching something atomise them like they were sandcastles. It had a wow factor for me. Still does.

*Between loving that scene, Judge Doom and Mola Ram. I wasn't a conventional kid...

I finally got round to watching Scream VI last night and to be honest loved every minute of it... it's the best one since the original in my book. 

Hayden Panettiere is the one low point though, she seemingly can't act anymore... luckily she doesn't get too much screen time though.

On 24/07/2023 at 12:17, one-armed dwarf said:

Now there's backlash, the barbie twitter account had to issue an apology!

https://unseen-japan.com/japanese-barbie-apologizes-for-barbenheimer/

Watched Don't Worry Darling and Halloween Ends last night... the first film was a lot better than I was expecting it to be and and the second was a massive disappointment.

Me and my wife watched Extraction 2 this evening, which we both really enjoyed. Basically 2 hours of Chris Hemsworth punching and shooting people in the face, with a good chunk of it happening in "one shot" (obviously it isn't, but it does appear to be). It was good fun, Hemsworth plays that character well and is believable as an unstoppable hard dude. I don't remember much about the first apart from being a bit indifferent to it, but the second one is a step up, I think I probably enjoyed it more than the John Wick sequels.

Also took my oldest to see the new Turtles movie as well which was pretty good. I don't really have a huge amount of nostalgia for the original Turtles, which is odd as I'm probably the perfect age for that. Anyway, the film is a good reboot of the origin story, it looks great, seems to have taken a few leafs from the Spider-Verse book. If you're a Turtles fan, you should have lot of fun with it, or maybe hate it? Who knows, fandom is a fickle thing sometimes.

Saw Meg 2: The Trench at the weekend.

It's just dumb, silly, good fun really. If you're a fan of Monster films or Godzilla type movies I definitely recommend it. 

There's a bit where someone bullet time dives and shoots a dinosaur with a big gun, loads of scenes of Jason Statham on a Jet Ski going over the crest of a wave with a dynamite harpoon in hand, a scene where a giant octopus fights a giant shark. Lots of campy one liners and over the top action sequences.

There's a lot more exposition than the first film, that isn't really needed but it's nice to have it anyway if that makes sense, even if some of the dialogue is nonsensical and hilarious. They explore the Megs and the 'Trench' from the first film a lot more here with some cool action sequences at the bottom of the ocean reminiscent of something like Bioshock a little bit.

The little girl from the first film (Mei?) is back in this as a teenager, weirdly her Mum played by Li Bingbing has been killed off in this but in her place is Mei's Uncle played by Wu Jing who is a big Chinese Action Star. He adds a little more variety to the action sequences as they're not all solely on Statham's shoulders, Jing's scenes often have more energy and less weapons than Statham's too. 

It feels like a much more well rounded film than the first, it takes longer to get to the campy thrills in the final 1/3 of the movie, but I enjoyed the first 2/3 all the same and I thought the payoff at the end was better because of that buildup if that makes sense. It feels a lot less rushed and a lot less predictable than its predecessor in my view.

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-man Across the Spider-Verse

I enjoyed it but I didnt like it anywhere near as much as I expected to with how much people were raving about it. I thought the first was a lot better. I also just found it way too visually chaotic to the point it annoyed me at times. Way to long as well, wish they’d made it shorter or actually used that time more wisely to actually finish the story rather than leaving it on a cliffhanger. Disappointed. 

Bloody hell 😬

Saw Gran Turismo last weekend. 

Went in with very low expectations as none of the trailers for it have looked particularly decent but I was very pleasantly surprised I have to say. For the first 30 minutes or so though I was like WTF am I watching, the acting, all the product placement and the 'coming of age' aspects to Jann's story right at the beginning of the film was like a bad romance film or something, lots of over-acting, terrible cheesy dialogue and an abundance of product placement in your face at all times.

Once the racing story begins though, things get markedly better thankfully, it's such a fantastic rags to riches story that it makes you forgot about some of the poorer aspects like the dialogue, acting etc. at times, but that does all improve the longer the film goes on too, it's a truly inspirational heart warming story. David Harbour's Jack Salter Chief Engineer character is by far and away the best actor in it by a country mile, he acts as Jann's harsh-but-fair Mentor throughout the film, first in the GT Academy and then to the Nissan Race Team itself. Orlando Bloom plays an over-the-top Nissan Marketing guy and still manages to give an over-the-top performance, he's terrible in it, maybe not quite as bad as Jann's love interest though who looks like she's channelling secondary school drama lessons throughout.

The racing is obviously where the film shines, the cuts can be a little quick for my liking and as an avid F1 watcher I would've liked to see less CGI, less gamey elements implemented to tie it back to the games (like the noise when you overtake someone, a gauge above Jann's car telling you what position he's in etc.) but yeah it is absolutely fantastic still, the highlight being the Le Mans finale but there's a lot of racing action throughout taking place at real life tracks like 'Silverstone' (actually the Hungaroring), Dubai Autodrome and the Red Bull Ring as well.

There's actually a part in the middle that was very well acted by lead Madekwe and support Harbour which is really emotional and dark, something I really didn't expect and won't spoil for anyone but it helps ground the rest of the film and make the finale and the achievements accomplished at the end resonate all the more. Its got a hell of a lot of heart, is a truly inspirational film with some great racing scenes, I was very pleasantly surprised by it I have to say. The story itself is absolutely amazing but the film isn't quite as good, but is still a bloody good watch and one I'd recommend to anyone Petrol Head, GT fan or not.

18 hours ago, mfnick said:

wish they’d made it shorter or actually used that time more wisely to actually finish the story rather than leaving it on a cliffhanger.

You should try explaining to an annoyed and frustrated 7-year-old the concept of a cliffhanger and then having to wait a year for the resolution because I had to and it wasn't pretty.

I had much the same feelings on it, but maybe liked it slightly more. I've watched the first one a lot these last few months as both my boys are pretty obsessed with it, and the more I watch it the more I think the first film might be my favourite Spiderman film. I think the sequel was good, but yeah too long, too frantic and should have had more of the elements resolved in the first with some carrying over, especially since there is a long wait time between films.