passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

His sci fi movies are slow burns. Arrival is an interesting one. I loved his Bladerunner sequel, one of my favorite modern films but you really want to watch the first one of that. Again, also the definition of slow burn, both of them.

Could not get into Dune at all for some reason, which is weird cause it seems like it would be the most my kinda shit. Something about it felt very detached or something

wrt what he's saying there about visuals and dialogue, I dunno. Visuals are an important element in storytelling but dialogue is also. There's plenty of both types of films which are memorable for how they look, the things people say in them, and both at the same time. That said, he should direct a silent film, maybe it would be a really cool experiment. Piss the fuck out of a lot of people though

(tho come to think of it they also have dialogue)

This is what I hate about social media in that someone will say something like this and then it becomes all or nothing.  It's great the way Villeneuve makes films, using the language of cinema more than dialogue.

But I'm not sure which films he's talking about.  What if Tarantino didn't focus on dialogue?  I know his films are very visual too but there wouldn't be what they are without that snappy dialogue.

But maybe that's not what he's talking about.  Maybe there has been a bunch of overwritten films that passed me by, I dunno.  I just don't like that there should be these rules.

It does seem like a bit of a black-or-white take, and I find it funny in a way because Arrival was a film about language. I realise language =/= dialogue, but still. It's a fundamental part of it.

I will say though, coming off the Avatar show, that the good old rule of 'show, don't tell' is getting ignored more and more. Remember that flashback scene at the end of Joaquim Phoenix's Joker movie? I have rarely felt so insulted by whoever made the decision to include that. Maybe he's talking about stuff like this, dialogue being misused to transport information to the viewer instead of giving it a more substantial function inside the narrative.

In any case, I hope he gets in touch with Nintendo and makes a Metroid movie.

I think I should really like Denis Villeneuve's films as clearly he's one of the best film makers working at the moment, but I find his movies to be emotionally lacking, and characters do take somewhat of a backseat to the visual. I do love DUNE, and it is a proper cinema film. I watched it again at the IMAX the other week and it just looks and sounds amazing. I liked his blade runner movie as well, although could do with going back and watching it again, Sacario I enjoyed as well but has the character problem mentioned above. I've seen Arrival when it came out but can't remember a whole lot about it. Not sure where I'm going with this but my take on that quote is a little bit of he doesn't know how to do that aspect of filmmaking well, so is being dismissive of it. He nails the other stuff though

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/denis-villeneuve-tv-corrupted-movies-defends-dune-2-runtime-1235922513/

The context of the quote makes it sounds more like he's talking about his own specific preferences, which comes across like a value judgement but well it's something he feels strongly about I guess.

I think though when he talks about imagery it's not just the high-end visuals in his films in particular, it's any film which uses a bit of negative space in the narrative or scene to convey something with visuals, whether it's a long take sequence or something where it's not always characters doing and saying things. Which is something which gets short thrift in a lot of modern movies, which must adhere to a certain runtime (which is the other thing he's talking about here, long films). There's an aspect of film-watching which can be looking at a painting, when it comes to sequences where characters are not talking, but still communicating. Actually, Bladerunner 2049 does this. 

A lot of this seems to link up with his feelings on franchise films tbh, he gets into the thing about films being about release dates rather than quality. Films should not be in a hurry to get somewhere, is the more general point I'd get from what he's saying here, films should be allowed to linger a bit

I watched Sicario and Arrival. I didn’t know he did those. They were all right?

When I read that quote my interpretation or projection, I guess, is how I feel about story in games. If it’s good it’s great but it’s not really what it’s about. Stories are the primary concern for books/TV/film. Games are about playing and how that playing affects the player/me. 

But reading it again he does say he “hates dialogue” 😅 I wouldn’t go that far. 

Story is so weird to define in this context. You can look at it and say it's just events happening between point in time A and B, but that would mean something like Koyaanisqatsi isn't telling a story, which it clearly is.

Villeneuve has some very strong opinions, which is fair. He's not attacking anybody or bashing other people's work, so I say just let him vent. I think before the first Dune came out he went on a crusade about how people should absolutely go to see it in cinemas and got a lot of backlash for it because is was still mid-pandemic. But I also find the concept of a dialogue-mute film interesting. His quote about how people might not even notice it (though I'm convinced they would) reminds me of how a friend of mine didn't notice that No Country for Old Men had no soundtrack up until the point where I told him.

What a change of perspective can do to a film. Just finished watching The Devil wears Prada for the second time. The last time I saw it I was in my early 20s and I thought it was a funny, uplifting movie with a bit of a middle finger directed towards superficiality. Today, however, I simply found its commentary on work-life balance borderline depressing.

I still like it though. But I think I'll wait until I'm retired before watching it a third time.

On 27/02/2024 at 22:18, Maryokutai said:

What a change of perspective can do to a film. Just finished watching The Devil wears Prada for the second time. The last time I saw it I was in my early 20s and I thought it was a funny, uplifting movie with a bit of a middle finger directed towards superficiality. Today, however, I simply found its commentary on work-life balance borderline depressing.

I still like it though. But I think I'll wait until I'm retired before watching it a third time.

Haha, I totally love it!
I watched it again this week after it was in the 'guess the game' thing a few days back. 

I watched Dune 2 earlier and loved it. It's not perfect but it's very good for a middle part of a trilogy. I'd recommend watching it at the cinema too, it looks amazing but the sound is really well done too, makes me wish I had a good surround sound so I could buy the 4k bluray

Spoiler

In terms of issues, there's a couple of points where it jumps very quickly, it makes the world seem a little small and makes you wonder why the other side don't just saunter there themselves. 

There's no great sense of time either, I suppose maybe a lot of time hasn't passed, but Paul seems to learn a lot and climb the ranks in a few months, whereas the Fremen have been there their entire lives. 

I also think Paul could have explained his plan to Chani, explained its an act, but I suppose you can hand wave that as it doesn't fit the route through it all 

It does feel a little like you've seen this before, but it's entirely possible that everything else ripped off Dune 

Watched it this evening, thought it was great. Definitely a real viaual and audio feast. 

If you enjoyed the first part try to treat yourself to a cinema visit, definitely worth it. 

11 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I watched Dune 2 earlier and loved it. It's not perfect but it's very good for a middle part of a trilogy.

From what I understand this second movie should conclude the first book. Or have they confirmed something about the second book being made into film as well and ending the saga there*?

*which I'd totally understand, from what I gather it becomes super weird later on.

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

They have said they want to adapt the next one, and make that a sort of finale. But Villeneuve is in no rush apparently

I think that's because he's probably read the second book and gone "fffuuuuuuuuuuu, that's a problem for later Denis"

Poor Things (now on D+)

Wasn't really sure what to expect from this, but felt a lot like if you took a Tim Burton / Wes Anderson movie and got David Lynch to direct it.

I guess it was alright, but despite having the potential to be great it fell somewhat short (as Spoiler).

The film looked fantastic, the acting well portrayed, but I'm not really convinced they made best use of the story opportunities.

Spoiler

The Paris brothel section seemed rather overlong, especially when the end sections with the returning husband felt rather rushed and undercooked.

Guns Akimbo (Prime)

Watched this last night and it was a fun movie, Daniel Radcliffe gets a gun bolted to each hand and thrust in to a real life online deathmatch against Samara Weaving after trolling said online deathmatch admins.

Pretty stylish and leans heavily in to its video-game roots.