passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Mortal Kombat (2021)

?

That, was almost as bad as MK: Annihilation. If not for Kano and Sub-Zero, it would have been worse. As an action film, it is fine. As a Mortal Kombat movie, it is horrendous 4/10

I watched Ben Wheatley's new film In The Earth last night. 

If anyone watched A Field in England it's thematically pretty similar, English countryside paired with paranoia and delusions. 

I enjoyed it, apparently it didn't review well but its mainly shown to US audiences so far so I can see why it wouldn't appeal to them, it feels very British. 

It's set against a pandemic, as far as I can tell for no reason other than it was probably filmed during one but I suppose it does add a layer to it. A researcher has gone in to the woods to research the idea that all the trees and plant life are interconnected and essentially form one consciousness. After not hearing from her in months her protégé heads in to the woods after, but not before hearing some local folk tales of what's in there 

45 minutes ago, Nag said:

Do you still have to wear a mask through the entire film?

Not sure, I had to when I saw Tenet last Summer but there were plenty of folks taking them off as soon as the lights went down.

Not a big deal for me though even if I have to, last time I just forgot I had mine on after about 20-30 mins into it.

I don't really notice the mask being on anymore. However, everyone tends to note people not wearing them. I think the last thing I went to see at the cinema was The New Mutants? Which wasn't great. So I'll wait for good things to start coming back on before I return to it. 

Mitchells Vs the Machines

Enjoyed that a lot! Amusing and heart felt in equal measure. Looks great too. Special mention to Monchi as well. As the owner of a Pug, I have to say they got him absolutely spot on! Honestly, he’s just perfect. The mannerisms, how gormy and clueless he looks all the time, the stupidity, just, everything. Brilliant. 

Tenet 

Didnt have a clue what was going on most of the time to be honest. Found it quite funny how the main guy just immediately accepts inverse stuff as though it’s no stranger than garlic bread. 

Even so I still enjoyed watching it, visually it was just really interesting and cool. The parts I did understand were fascinating. But yeah, I was completely baffled for the most part. 

I just found it disappointing. Snyders take on Dawn was pretty good. But I dunno, Army felt so-so at best. The intro was definitely the best part for me. 
There was some fun to be had. But by the end, I’d had enough.
I’ve rewatched Romero’s classic trilogy many times over the years, and no doubt will again. I don’t intend to ever rewatch this. 

2 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

I’ve rewatched Romero’s classic trilogy many times over the years, and no doubt will again. I don’t intend to ever rewatch this. 

7oEU.gif

yeah, I didn't think it was very good. It's not an abomination or anything, but it is really predictable. I thought the German lad was good, added some humour at least, but considering the run time, they really didn't manage to do anything interesting with it

It’s only at some parts at the beginning @one-armed dwarf Most noticeably outside the cafe for 2 seconds.

Yes @Nag It’s a whole thing online although I never saw it myself.

Its a bad zombie movie but a fun action film. 7.5

The ending:

Spoiler

I thought he was sick because of all the radiation he must have walked through. But then it’s a bite but that means it’s taken way too long for him to change because he had to have been bitten, thrown into the vault, waited there for hours, come up, walked hours to the car, driven hours to the airport...

Caught up on a couple of 'Oscar' films:

Promising Young Woman - it was reasonably entertaining, pretty implausible, but managed to cover a difficult subject and thought provoking premise without trivialising it, but wasn't subtle or smart enough to really justify its plaudits.

Nomadland - just a bit of a waste of 90 mins really, no compelling story arc to justify its running time. Nice how they mixed in real life characters such as Bob Wells and others, but would have done better as a 45 min factual documentary on van dwellers rather than a somewhat bloated drama. You'd be better checking out Bob's website if you're interested: 

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/

Watched Army of Dead too. It was ok. Standout was the

Spoiler

Tiger ripping that bloke apart & throwing him about

That was fun. 

@Nag Yea I got that dead pixel thing too. Not all way through but some scenes it was there and scared shit out of me. Funnily enough I had the same issue with Tenet and the new Justice League cut. A couple of scenes in that did the same. Don’t know why that’s a thing now.

it's a bit yes, but no with the Bond stuff. The brocoli's are keeping creative control and 50% ownership of the Bond franchise, basically I think to stop Amazon making a load of shit tv spin off's and the likes.

I’ve seen a lot of films since my last post.

13th

Apostle

Bad Boys
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Cube

Dick Johnson is Dead
Floating Weeds

Gerald’s Game

Ghostbusters

Gremlins

Ju-on: The Grudge

King Kong

Paddleton

Pulse

The Soft Skin

Tigertail

I thought I had posted once in the meantime but I guess I haven’t.

13th is a documentary movie that I heard a lot of good things about but I didn’t think there was anything exceptional about it.

Apostle was a half-decent movie in the vein of The Wicker Man or Midsommar.

Bad Boys was watchable but at the same time, pure shite.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was excellent. Another great Coen brothers movie. Beautiful music in it too.

Cube was an enjoyable horror/thriller movie that started off gory but then focused much more on the characters.

Dick Johnson is Dead was an ok Netflix original documentary that the director made about her father as he was dying. Interesting idea, ok movie.

Floating Weeds is another beautiful film by Ozu, the first film I’ve seen of his in a long time. Fortunately Japanese Netflix has a decent selection of movies by classic directors like Ozu, Kurosawa and Mizoguchi (and several others I know nothing about). I love Ozu and Floating Weeds was definitely my favourite film from this list.

Gerald’s Game - never read the book, the film was ok. Started off interesting but lost me pretty quickly. I managed to watch it in fits and starts until the finish though. Not very good.

Ghostbusters - first time seeing this. It was alright, but super long, and I much preferred the other 80s film that starts with G on this list.

Gremlins - this is more up my street. Loved it from start to finish. One of my new favourite 80s films. And it was actually a Japanese girl who introduced me to it.

Ju-on and Pulse were decent Japanese ghost stories/horror movies.

King Kong - finished watching this today. Mixed films about it, but it is very good. It’s a shame I didn’t see it in the cinema at the time. I loved the start of the movie, it was a very interesting build-up. The middle part of the movie had some spectacular action scenes but I’m not sure if they were all necessary. The ending was good but very long too. Kong steals the movie for sure. Not sure about Naomi Watts, there’s no getting away from the fact that the relationship between her and Kong is ridiculous, and felt ridiculous in all the scenes they were together. But the ending was still effective.  If I had a chance to see it in the cinema I would watch it again.

Paddleton is another Netflix original about a heavy topic (death of a loved one). Again I watched it because of good reviews, but it was just ok for me. 

The Soft Skin - also been a long time since I’ve seen a film by Truffaut. Maybe not one of his very best films but I enjoyed it from start to finish like I have all of his films.

Tigertail - dreary American-Taiwanese that I would have been more harsh on if it hadn’t somehow redeemed itself with a very nice ending. So I would cautiously recommend it.