passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Easily the Xbox Series for me. The 360 was the first controller which just felt 100% right to me. & every subsequent one has just refined it to near perfection we have with the series ones. It’s probably the main reason I use the Xbox as my primary console. Add haptics and trigger effects from the Dualsense, make the D Pad clicks quieter and I don’t know how it could be any better. 

For fighting games and old school style 2D games the Saturn mk2 pad is the best. 

Probably the Logitech Wireless Action Controller that I bought for PS2.

It was fantastic to play wirelessly with a reliable reactive rumble controller, esp. as I was no longer tethered to a certain seating position in order to play on the PS2.

It enthused me to get a Wavebird for the GC a while later, another improvement on the bundled wired GC controllers.

I recognise these weren't the first wireless videogame controllers, even the Atari VCS had those as options - but they were traditionally rather unreliable in signal, whereas these later ones really nailed that issue.

I'll echo @mfnick with the Series controller, it's just so comfortable to use... they had the ergonomics cracked with the 360 and they've just gotten better from there.

I have a massive soft spot for the GameCube Wavebird too as that was my first wireless controller... I can't imagine being wired nowadays.😂

Obvious for me, but it's the Saturn pad. That it's still used now 25 years later speaks volumes. It's comfortably the best pad for 2d games, amazing for fighters, and like I said in the Street Fighter 6 thread, I'd be more interested in that if I could use a USB Saturn pad 

I've not used the most recent Xbox pad, I wouldn't be against getting one for pc at some point to try it. I will say, apart from Nintendo (and even then they have their pro controllers), the standard of controllers is really good now, best its been since the 16bit generation 

yeah agree with whats already been said - the saturn pad, best for shmups/2d stuff - pads are generally really good these days - series x/s pads are great and have a good d-pad, too loud/clicky mind. the haptics stuff on the ps5 pad and switch are cool too.

For nostalgia:

240.jpg

For practicality:

417E1D11PBL._AC_.jpg

Granted I haven't touched the N64 controller in... 20+ years. But my memories of it are fond ones. The PS dual shock has probably been the most versatile controller I can think of.

Not trying to be a maverick or anything, but I did like playing Wii games with the remote and nunchuk. Playing the prime games, Resi 4, Mario galaxy, okami  etc felt really cool to me. (On a side note Okami just auto spelled to okay egg). I'm going to have that as my favourite controller since I don't really have any favourites amongst the others.

Strangely, trying to play Resi 4 with the switch motion control was utterly shite.

It was amazing with the quest 2 controllers though

Right now my preferred controller is the 8bitdo sn pro 2. Works on PC and switch, and has a toggle for different controller modes (which is handy for getting the right buttons to show up on certain games on steam). Most importantly it has symmetrical analog sticks, which I need if I want to quickly access the dpad while using the left stick. I can't do that with the xbox and swich pro layout

Has an issue with rubber wearing away though. In general I've been really displeased with the reliability of main console controllers and stick drift, it happens so often now. Joycons are even worse, absolute shite controller.

2 hours ago, Metroid66 said:

Not trying to be a maverick or anything, but I did like playing Wii games with the remote and nunchuk. Playing the prime games, Resi 4, Mario galaxy, okami  etc felt really cool to me. (On a side note Okami just auto spelled to okay egg). I'm going to have that as my favourite controller since I don't really have any favourites amongst the others.

Strangely, trying to play Resi 4 with the switch motion control was utterly shite.

No I'd agree, used right the Wii remote and nunchuck were great 

The N64 controller is in the running for the worst 1st party controller 

Xbox series controllers are pretty great, I really liked the 360 controller as well. I've always felt the analogue sticks on the duelsense/duelshock controllers are in the wrong place, and are simply there because it was originally a reconfigured PS1 controller, but they've ran with it for nearly 30 years.

I really liked the cube controller at the time, D Pad was pretty shit though, and it may not have aged well.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I really liked the cube controller at the time, D Pad was pretty shit though

That was my memory of it. Deadly Alliance in particular opted to use that ultra-tiny D-Pad. It wasn't pleasant.

It's the Xbox one for pads. Shout out to the Saturn pad also.

Not something Nag asked because he's a console racist, but as far as mice go the Razer Naga was aces. I am running a G502 now and I rate it a lot. It's sort of become the vanilla go to, but having used one for about a year or so now I can see why. Good build, nice weight, accurate, DPI changer on the fly. Fine aim button. It's a good 'un.

10 hours ago, OCH said:

That was my memory of it. Deadly Alliance in particular opted to use that ultra-tiny D-Pad. It wasn't pleasant.

I had the same problem with Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 as well. You didn't need to use the dpad, but analogue was too inaccurate for quick tricks and the d pad too tiny

2 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

@Sly Reflexif we're talking best controls then yeah, mouse and keyboard is hard to beat. Obviously the console racists won't like hearing that 

You can't just leave it like that - do you mean a 1990's ball & wheel mouse or a Razer gaming mouse (with 20+ programmable buttons)?

34 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

You can't just leave it like that - do you mean a 1990's ball & wheel mouse or a Razer gaming mouse (with 20+ programmable buttons)?

I sitll use a thumb track ball mouse now, it's great and would never go back to a regular mouse

I have a g502 also. It is good, and the dpi 'sniper button' is nice in RE4 for micro-adjustments with the red laser dot weapons.

I generally don't like using M&K if I can though, it's just a lot of the stuff I've been playing lately feels awful on controller. Both Prey and RE4 have (imo, for me) unplayably awful deadzones and aim acceleration. What happens with it is I end up having to strafe the character to aim the gun, rather than actually aim the gun. Which feels wrong, and shit. I know there's options to change them, but I find that stuff confusing so I just end up sidelining it with M&K

I've never used it until now, but I actually really like the gyro aiming that the switch does with ToTK. It comes the closest to narrowing this gap I think. A quick swing of the controller and you can get close to that 'mouse speed and accuracy', and you can make little adjustments for aiming arrows that you just can't ever do with slow, clunky and single-speed analog sticks. I understand now why people rave about that feature, I wonder what other console games have it that I've ignored it on.

Easily the DualSense controller for me, the Haptics and Impulse Triggers just add another dimension into playing games for me. It just puts you into the game and immerses you just that little bit more. The best use being in GT7 so far where I could feel all the vibrations, curb mounts, ABS coming on as I braked etc. in the triggers and haptics. Just makes the controller feel alive for the first time and the first technological evolution in Controller tech since Rumble donkeys years ago. Shits all over pretty much every other controller, it's the perfect weight and a joy to hold.

Used to love the 360 Pad back in the day, a pretty fantastic pad with one flaw which was the god-awful D-Pad. I like the current XSX/XSS controllers but they feel like ancient tech now really after handling a DualSense, to me at least. Just feels like it's a slightly improved XB1 pad with a share button on it, not exciting whatsoever and just a slight evolution on an already tried-and-true great design, a bit like the Console in general really.

I will say as well, the whole stick placement debate. If you'd of asked me during the 360 generation I would've said hands down that it's a more comfy fit as 95% of my gaming time was spent with that console. Since the PS4 generation though, I prefer the Dualshock layout, it's just a more natural position for your thumb to be I'd say, when I go and play XSX games I feel like my left thumb always has to stretch a bit and get a slight bit of pain afterwards. 

I think it's just whatever you get used to though, if you predominantly spend your time on Xbox you'll prefer that, if, like me, you spend most of your time with PS systems and have done for the last 9ish years now then you'll prefer that in all likelihood.

As for Nintendo controllers, I don't think I've loved any of them since the N64 really, the GCN Wavebird was great from memory, the Switch JoyCons I seem to like more than most on here and I've only recently tried the Switch Pro controller which is like a 360 pad, decent. I hated the WiiMote and Nunchuks though, but then I hated almost everything about the Wii in general aside from some of the games (SMG2) for it.

FWIW I do also prefer wireless controllers with a battery pack (where you can just pop in some rechargeable AAs) rather than those that require docking / USB charging.

It really frustrating wanting to play on the NS only to find JoyCons are out of charge, or the relatively short battery life of PS4 controllers needing to keep another controller charged as backup.