passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I do have bad memories of MS pushing MTX at the beginning of the One generation which was shit. But DLC is a different matter - I definitely remember them mostly being from 3rd parties - Horse Armour, Capcom were really bad and were known for on disc unlocks and held back the real end game for Astra’s Wrath as DLC. Ubisoft did the same with PoP. EA held back a essential character as a pre-order DLC for Mass Effect 3. All terrible and all 3rd party. 

Loot boxes are worse though. Fuck Overwatch for popularising them. 

The official question is, again, trash this week (top 20 games of 2021 🥱)... so you'll have to put up with my slightly less trash question.

controller-light.jpg

Nag says... there's nothing quite like experiencing a tip top game for the first time but replays are never quite the same. If you could get a quick tap to the noggin to remove the memory of one game so you could experience it all over again what would that game be?

It would have to be a game with a shock reveal. Heavy Rain or Silent Hill 2 come to mind. Since that moment, after you've experienced it, colours any future playthroughs. You certainly see James in a completely different light after watching The Videotape.

I've been doing a lot of replaying recently, but there's been enough time passed for games like mass effect trilogy and rise of the tomb raider to feel pretty fresh.

I would like that knock to the noggin for those favourites of mine that require a bit of grinding. That aspect of JRPGs usually puts me off of a replay. So bring me your soft mallet so I can get going on FF12 again. That game was the effing dog's.

Fallout 3 : coming out of the vault, on 360, for the first time, and free wandering the wasteland was an amazing experience. Clearly I'd played Elder Scrolls games  before, but the post apocalyptic setting, radio stations playing, VATS and just the degree of exploration was fantastic.

Just to capture those moments of wonder again would be terrific.

(Assuming of course this removes prior knowledge of Fallout 4 too).

Super Meat Boy. I play it relatively often still but if I could get that first time experience back where it immediately just clicked perfectly and I played it for months non stop and 100%’d it I’d love that.

If it’s a knock which basically removes knowledge of all games since too, I’d pick Grand Theft Auto 3. No game has ever been as mind blowing since for me. 
The God of War Trilogy would be another. If I had to pick - the 3rd one. Experiencing all those set pieces and bosses again for the first time would be amazing. 
Same with Asuras Wrath.

There’s a lot basically. But staying to the original spirit of the question and 1 game id like to experience 1st time again now it is SMB. 

Pathologic 2, a big part of that game is dealing with the cascade of negative outcomes of decisions you make, and the difficult decisions those decisions result in. These are gameplay decisions, but also reflect the tone of the developing story (it's the reason I think this game is so good actually, the gameplay is actually narrative, it really feels like the player is in a dialogue with the game).

So naturally it's a trick that really only works the first time when you don't know what to expect, cause on replays it just turns into Resident Evil and you stockpile everything you need quite easily

My immediate thought is Resident Evil 4 but thinking of the question I'd still have played and have memories of sequels and games inspired by it so I still really wouldn't have that true first time experience.  So Metroid Prime is also out because of sequels.

Final Fantasy 7 wouldn't have the same effect in 2022 even if my memories were wiped, it's maybe too old.

I think God Hand would maybe be cool.  Persona 3 as well despite playing the following games I think that one hit in a way others haven't and I think it still would.  The Last of Us would still be cool to me since I've not played the sequel.

My final answer is Persona 3 I think.

Fortunate barely anyone played it 😂

God Hand requires that same mentality as going back to 70s, 80s genre films and anime, which it draws a lot of inspiration from, maybe too much.  Thinking it's a bit much is a reasonable reaction, I wouldn't defend its problematic stuff.  It's not even the reason I like it.

But I think it's so preposterous it circles back to being funny, even if I can't really tell how mean spirited its intentions are, if at all and it's just dumb and uncritically sleepwalked into stereotypes.  I don't mean this as a defence, even that is creatively lazy if that's what happened but it's just my 2c.

But it's possible to channel that kind of preposterous energy into something less problematic and they did with Bayonetta, and I stress less.

But two muscly gay dudes beating the shit out of you could be read as pretty based, actually 🌈

wd_screenshot_studiotour_felony-foot-trafficlight_1080p_dd_130910_9_1378728349_1380108278-30amcet.jpg

GameCentral readers name their least favourite video game characters, from Kratos to Sonic the Hedgehog’s friends.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Firetrain and covers everyone from the protagonist to the villain and more minor characters. What is it that annoys you about them and is it because of their attitude, their actions, their voice-acting, or something else?

In the end everyone from iconic heroes to relatively obscure side characters were named and shamed, with so many different names almost no-one was mentioned twice.

Any squeaky, childlike characters in most Japanese rpg's... fuck all of them.

47 minutes ago, Nag said:

Any squeaky, childlike characters in most Japanese rpg's... fuck all of them.

89p2Gzx.png

Indeed... 😉

Personally, I'm drawing a blank on this one. There's no one that comes to mind that I have such a strong disdain for. 🤔