passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I think the only DLC I get excited for is Monster Hunter stuff.  Iceborne and Sunbreak are extensions on there respective games that really add to the game in a way that improve already very good games into something excellent.  Not just adding content but rebalancing, pacing, new ways to play and more.

No question again...

RE4mRni.png

Nag says... "Over the last week or so there's been an increasing amount of rumours indicating that Microsoft could be heading in a third party direction, do you see this happening? How would it affect you (if at all) and would it be positive or detrimental to the gaming landscape if it did happen?

Doubtful, but Sega set the precedent. Naturally there would be zero affect on me. To be honest, again looking at Sega, it wouldn't really do all that much to the gaming landscape either. Aside from invalidating the meme wherein Microsoft would buy everyone else ala Rare, Bethesda, (rumoured) Nintendo etc

They've already published games on the Switch and PS4 (Minecraft, Ori), and I guess this is spurred in by rumours(?) that Hi-Fi Rush is also coming to other systems.  

I don't think they'll do that with their marquis titles but I guess they'll do it if it suits them.

But yeah, I guess maybe they'd prefer to be a service than a manufacturer but I dunno about a traditional third party.

I think "third party direction" for MS would be focussed on Gamepass being available multiplatform and them backing out of hardware.

I think we're hitting a point in the not too distant future where the cloud gaming model becomes an achievable norm and interface goes down the route of basic portal / controller (so essentially a viable version of 'Stadia' giving you Gamepass access - but including all new release content (from MS & their subsiduaries) - so maybe an even more premium tier to GP).

I don’t think it’s happening. Like HD says, they’ve already published other titles on other systems already. For the odd title it makes sense but I still don’t see them releasing things like the next Halo or Fable on other systems. 

If they do start doing much larger games like that (like the new Indiana Jones and Blade as rumoured) then I do believe it’s the beginning of the end for them in the console market. If that happens it will be terrible IMO. Arrogant Sony are wankers. Sony without competition (Nintendo don’t count, they’re mostly a different market) would be unthinkably bad. 

If that happens I’ll be very worried about what happens to my huge Xbox game catalogue too. Will that just disappear? It does has me worried to be honest. I’m considering switching back to Sony for my digital purchases as Microsoft are worrying me with this type of talk going about but I’ll wait and see what the official line is going forward. 

Yeah, unrivalled Sony would be awful, really not looking forward to that potential scenario. For me personally, MS and Sony are somewhat interchangeable. I'm more invested (in the financial sense, as I have the most games for it) in the Xbox ecosystem so it would be good if they at least kept the Xbox brand going even after dropping proper hardware. But I think that's kind of a given, MS as a company is indestructible and Xbox makes enough money for them to keep it around, even in a potential third-party future.

21 minutes ago, mfnick said:

If that happens I’ll be very worried about what happens to my huge Xbox game catalogue too. Will that just disappear? It does has me worried to be honest. I’m considering switching back to Sony for my digital purchases as Microsoft are worrying me with this type of talk going about but I’ll wait and see what the official line is going forward. 

I don't put too much trust in any of these three companies as far as digital purchases go to be honest, hence why I still buy discs and cartridges whenever possible. The only platform you can consider your digital games safe is pretty much PC, because there will always be ways to keep them around.

36 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

For me personally, MS and Sony are somewhat interchangeable.

spider-man-double.jpg

Agreed. For quite a while now, Sony and MS are basically this meme. Sony for example, are nowhere near as creative and daring as they were with PSOne and 2. Neither seem to be pushing the other to outdo themselves.

For many years, the console market revolved around the Big Two and it was pretty much the same thing then also. 

I'm like that with movies now, cause of how studios like Disney just delete things like the Willow TV series from existence. Not that I have any interest in watching that in particular, but these corps are not great stewards for preserving art. Hearing rumours about further mergers kinda just sucks, as it did with fox and disney

Games I have no real choice tho, I want the best quality and that's on a platform without physical media now. 

MS lack any kinda strong distinguishing exclusives these days, at the same time I'm very much over what Sony put out (the irony being that the Spiderman meme above kinda explains how I feel about their output now, especially the Spiderman games). I think HD was right in one of these earlier topics about the unsustainability of the AAA part of the industry, and I wonder if it will boil over into a sort of franchise fatigue eventually like it is in films. In that sense, MS might be well served by hopping off hardware and becoming more of a service provider. Not that I think it would leave the industry in a good state

51 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

The only platform you can consider your digital games safe is pretty much PC, because there will always be ways to keep them around.

I do keep thinking about this. But I much prefer using my consoles. Plus the initial outlay for a good PC is incredibly high. The state of PC ports over the last few years has been pretty damn bad too along with that shader compiling stutter issue - that would wind me up no end! Still, I do keep thinking about swapping to PC. 

12 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Still, I do keep thinking about swapping to PC.

I'm the opposite. I've been a console gamer since the NES. Aside from a few titles, the PC as a platform holds no allure to me. I look at indie games like Pizza Tower and think if it were on console, I'd play it. If the last big push is made away from consoles, I'd be done with gaming.

Yeah, I'll echo that... no desire whatsoever to go to PC for gaming, I'll be a console gamer until consoles disappear completely or I die... whichever comes sooner.🙃

Since PC is not involved in “the console war” I know it isn’t counted, but Microsoft is already multi platform because their games come out day and date on PC. Both Gamepass and Steam, I think. So in terms of publishing they’re already there. 

I guess the more specific question is what does it mean for Xbox. Well, nothing in the near future because Xbox is in last place. No matter what they do, they can’t fall further behind, so putting select games on Nintendo of PS to claw back that extra cash makes sense.

I don’t think they’ll drop consoles anytime soon anyway. Being the #1 console maker is a very profitable position to be in, and with the investment in CoD and leaks of their future boxes, they’re going to be here for a while.

If they could just make good games + Gamepass + CoD Xbox could be the #1 console maker again in 5-10 years. But they have to actually up their execution on quality (Starfield, Redfall, Halo, Forza) and be more consistent. Even though Sony games have flatlined in terms of creativity and innovation, can’t knock them for delivering exactly what they say. And it’s put them at #1. Xbox has all the ammo to take that place, but they just keep missing. 

In terms of multiplatform Gamepass I'd clearly include it being available on Sony & Nintendo consoles (and maybe the latter was at least hinted at with the whole CoD on NS debate) - in particular when you consider other titles being brought to NS as cloud/steamed games - wouldn't take too much to put a Cloud Gamepass on the NS.

as others have said, I could see a couple of smaller games making the jump over, as others have in the past, but that's a long way from the likes of Starfield going over. But then, I get the impression Starfield wasn't quite the success that they wanted, and probably hasn't really moved the needle in terms of console sales. So if they're pinning all their hopes on a subscription service, then sure, just sell that rumoured xbox streaming stick and be done with it, it'll be shit, but oh well, people will get what they wished for whether they like it or now

I already barely touch MS' output, and what I do has been on pc. I don't like what's happened with them, and I suspect in 10 years a lot of people's favourite franchises will be gone, and what's left will be streamed, or nothing like what we people want from them. That acquisition is bad news

Basically, if one of them is going to go 3rd party, it's probably better it's Microsoft, but we'll see fewer and fewer games. In terms of the console race, it might be that it's changing anyway, and MS will be a big part of it still (streaming). I've said before though, I think it's better with a discrepency, but probably with who that is alternating. We got PS+ and those premium single player experiences from Sony trying to claw back market share from MS, offering a better deal than Xbox Live. We then get no always online DRM from Sony when MS were in charge and it kills them. Game Pass, whatever my concerns about it, is a good deal, which has pushed Sony to do better (I don't think they've done enough really), so it's better MS are around and within the conversation at least

Big news, and just hammers home the point that I'm crap at being a gamer. 

After years being a Sony and Ninty boy I threw in with Xbox at the beginning of this generation because of game pass and their acquisitions and have spent the last years filling up my digital library from their deals page. 

But it turned out game pass wasn't for me, and their exclusives have been lukewarm to say the least, especially Bethesda's first offering.

Had a good time initially, though, helping myself to all their back catalogue.

It's hard to fathom how it's all gonna work out. I just wish they'd stop pushing graphics and start making games play better.

16 hours ago, mfnick said:

I do keep thinking about this. But I much prefer using my consoles. Plus the initial outlay for a good PC is incredibly high. The state of PC ports over the last few years has been pretty damn bad too along with that shader compiling stutter issue - that would wind me up no end! Still, I do keep thinking about swapping to PC. 

Do it. Also all your xbox games will work over there. Just sign in and go. 

I've been thinking about this because I'm very bored in a meeting 

Microsoft have multiple examples of 3rd party game sales now thanks to their acquisitions. Deathloop is a big one because it launched on PlayStation, what did the Xbox sales look like, what did it's Game Pass plays look like? They've got the new Hellblade game coming, the original was multi platform, Doom, the various Skyrim releases. 

If they are going to go big on multiplatform (and I'm not convinced), it could be that they can see the difference between lost sales and increased Game Pass users and it's massive. I remember a few people saying that with Bethesda they'd be too big to support just themselves, now they've got Activision and have to share COD regardless, there's probably just not enough money on Xbox and pc to support their model as it is