passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

sonic_2_remastered_title_screen.jpg

Readers discuss their favourite fourth generation video games, from Micro Machines to Zelda: A Link To The Past.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader JesseM, and included consoles such as the Mega Drive, SNES, PC Engine, Neo Geo, as well the Atari ST and Amiga and coin-ops released between 1987 and 1993.

There were many different suggestions, across a wide range of formats, but Zelda: A Link To The Past did get mentioned a lot, along with Mario, Sonic, and, surprisingly, Shadowrun.

It's obviously Streets of Rage 2 for me, but so that I don't just repeat myself. 

Gunstar Heroes, which I've also mentioned loads, what a game. Hard but brilliant, and bar the later levels I think would still be well regarded if it came out today. Sensible Soccer is still great fun, particularly the easier to control Mega Drive version (I might sit and play that today). Strider was great, although I never completed it. I quite liked that X-men game, but it was a little clunky. Toejam and Earl, Ristar, Flashback, Rock and Roll Racing (and the Biker Nice from Mars game that ripped it off), Shining Force 1 and 2, Story of Thor. Also Doom if that counts, on pc at that time? 

I never played a PC Engine at the time, but playing the Mini, there's some really good games on that. Castlevania, Chu Man Fu, a bunch of shoot em ups 

The Neo Geo is a weird one, because it lasted about 20 years (someone buy me one, please). I'm not sure if Metal Slug came too late, but that's great. Obviously the Fatal Fury games, Magical Drop, Twinkle Star might have been too late too? 

Back in the day i didnt have a lot of exposure to all the games, had a snes with 4 games (rented others too), i really liked all of them - streetfighter 2, link to the past, stunt race fx, and mario kart. We had an atari st too but not sure when that fits in, remember playing bomb jack and elite 2 on that, those were good. Played a lot of speedball 2 and micro machines at a friends house, those were great (and mario kart which is why i kept asking my parents for a snes!). Not sure when this was but used to play sensible soccer on the pc, so agree with Dangerman, that was great, and gunstar heroes i got to play later on, thats a cool game too. The big standout games for me from back then were super mario kart and f-zero, amazing games that stand up really well still imo, remember renting f-zero, but sure i played it a lot more than just the rental so might have been later i played it, maybe emulated on pc or something.

Ignoring Mario, Sonic and Zelda. Snake, Rattle 'N' Roll is a game I still remember fondly. Although I haven't played it in probably 30 (32 ala 1991) years? Great calls on Shining Force 1 & 2, Micro Machines and X-Men 1 (Mega Drive) too.

Another World, Earthworm Jim, Rolo to the Rescue, Spider-Man (Mega Drive), Vectorman, Marko's Magic Football, Addams Family (SNES), Mega Man 2 & 3. Although in the case of MM, we never owned, played or were even aware of the original series continuing beyond 3 on the NES.

When it comes to the SNES, we didn't own one until very late into the PSOne era. So the games we played were either at friends (Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart) or cousins (Addams Family, Starwing, Super Mario World). So they have good memories attached by default. In truth, by the time I bought my SNES. LTTP and Mario All Stars were the only games I ever had for it. 

I think we rented both the TMNT and Batman games on the NES. I remember enjoying both although we finished neither. I only assume that was due to rental? The deal was we had to complete a game before getting a new one (for Christmas) back in the day. That's how we got our "gamer skill". Which I do wish sometimes I still had a fraction of.

On my 8th birthday* I got Wonderboy in Monster World and it was one of my earliest and most favourite I had.  And thinking back what it was is it was the first game I played that was set in a connected world, everything before that was level or challenge based.  

It rules, it should have the reputation of being the Mega Drive's Link to the Past but there's no justice as far as I'm concerned... Okay, it's not that good but I still feel that in my heart.

I played half of it recently and I still have a great time with it and it's the reason I've got a big soft spot for the Shantae series.

But I had access to a lot of Mega Drive games but my favourites were Gunstar Heroes, Sonic series, Streets of Rage series, the Strike series, Dynamite Heady, Revenge of Shinobi (used to beg for Shadow Dancer but I only ever got to rent it), Mega Bomberman, Kid Chameleon, X-Men (which isn't that good but the tenacity of youth) and some Disney games, mostly Castle/World of Illusion and Quackshot.

*Okay, looking up the release it came out after my birthday, but I know I had it before Sonic 2 which I know I got on release so I dunno what the reason behind this treat was.

Wasn't a gamer back then and thought gamers were a bunch of nerds 😄 (if I had cause to think of them at all).

Then, my youngest pestered me for a playstation 2 for Christmas and my nerdy brother informed me that there were games meant for adults that I might enjoy when the young'n headed off to bed.

He lent me Resident Evil 4.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Oh, yeah I forgot Road Rash, but I only owned RR3, the second I frequently rented.

And I played Alien 3 a lot too.  Same with Robocop vs. Terminator.  Not great games but I played them a lot.

And @Metroid66 it's so much more sinful to get into gaming as an adult than when you're a kid and don't know any better 😉 

Edit:  just remembered, a licenced game I did really like on the MD was Dick Tracy

bb9d1baaedb15b0e6396a4a8d27f04152b95ac48

It played on two plains.  kind of a simple scroller but a sort of light gun game.  Its cool.

I’ve played a lot of Snes games via emulation and remasters/remakes/re-releases. It’s hard to look past FFVI, but honourable mentions to Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FFIV and Dragon Quest IV and V.

The other games of this era that I’ve played and really liked were Policenauts and Fantasy World Dizzy.

If we’re including PC games of the era then of course Monkey Island 1 & 2, Gabriel Knight and Beneath a Steel Sky.

I only had a Mega Drive so stuff like Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Streets of Rage, Batman Returns, James Pond, Ristar, Toejam & Earl, Shinobi, Taz, McDonalds games (can't remember the name), Golden Axe, Earthworm Jim, Aladdin, Lion King, Jungle Book.

download-520f.jpg

Readers discuss the magic of receiving a highly anticipated game for Christmas and the horror of unwrapping the wrong gift on the big day.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Cranston, who wanted to know what’s the happiest you’ve ever been with a gift and what was the most disappointing moment.

Most people recalled some very happy memories but there were the inevitable disappointments, some made worse by the assumption that earlier hints had been recognised and understood.

The Christmas we got the N64. We "discovered it" by seeking out the presents hidden in our parents room. Kind of pressured Mum into letting us play it early. Dad worked nights back then. When he got home, he did not agree. We were grounded for three weeks and not allowed to play the N64 until New Years Day...

Not so much me, that I remember at least, but my brother did. He loved International Superstar Soccer on the Snes and wanted the sequel for Christmas. The problem was, pretty much the only difference between International Superstar Soccer and International Superstar Soccer Deluxe is the colour of the box. So we went and found where my parents had hidden it, then not so subtly mention that it would be really easy to buy the wrong one but that the right one was blue 

Nope didn't happen at all for me - don't get me wrong, I got some nice things every Christmas but my parents never had enough money for games consoles etc* - all my gaming has been self bought (or in later years, as a present from my missus).

*my older brother got a 48k Spectrum once, noting as his birthday is in Nov and mine in Jan anything super expensive like that was always a joint birthday/ Christmas present.

Same as above. The only times I got games was when they didn’t know what to buy me I’d make a game suggestion but then pretty much have to walk them through the entire purchasing process. Kind of takes away the joy of receiving a gift 😂 

I haven’t enjoyed Christmas in many years tho. It’s nice when you have a partner but living alone blows and it’s just another day to pretend to be happy.

Have a nice day!