passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Based on what id saw of neon white on GB its a lot of trying to find the optimal route through a level and get better times, mainly what I mean by a sort of run based game. Maybe run based adjacent moreso because it doesnt reset progress but I dont enjoy the repetitive loop of games like that

Not trying to shit on the game as such, just that one of the most talked about games currently is a style of game I give a wide berth to so 2022 hasnt had a lot to offer for me. Don't want to get tricked again like I did by Inscryption lol

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

it's maybe the worst year for games I can ever think of.

Totally agree with this.

Elden Ring for me too, Forbidden West was good but not as good as I wanted it to be and I honestly can't see anything getting released that's going to surpass those two for me this year. Fingers crossed for Saints Row and Plague Tale though.

28 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Based on what id saw of neon white on GB its a lot of trying to find the optimal route through a level and get better times, mainly what I mean by a sort of run based game. Maybe run based adjacent moreso because it doesnt reset progress but I dont enjoy the repetitive loop of games like that

yeah thats cool, your right it sort of is like that, you could play it just to get through it but even then youd have to replay levels still because they can be difficult and you need a certain amount of gold times to progress, the gold times are not particularly difficult but would probably require a few retries on average, and the levels are mostly very short, like 30 seconds to a minute usually, although there are a few longer ones. so while you could play it without replaying loads you would have to replay stuff, and i definitely think people who like timetrails or stuff like super meat boy will enjoy it more.

Yea Sifu isn’t a rogue game either. It’s set levels and it’s just on you to keep repeating them until you get good enough to beat them. Or repeat levels with fewer deaths so you’ve got more later in the game. But yea it’s a run based adjacent game. 

It’s a weird sub genre for me. On a whole I don’t like them. But odd ones just click with me and when they do I absolutely love them. In a way I never do with rogue games. A lot of it depends on the ‘feel’ of them I think. Like Sifu just feels amazing to play. 

There are games I wanna play from this year like Tunic and Norco that I haven’t gotten around to.

Elden Ring by default but it’s not even the best open world game that I’ve pumped 100+ hours into this year (that would be Cyberpunk 2077, which is a much more interesting game than ER).

But things are looking up. Xenoblade. Chronicles 3 looks ace. Return to Monkey Island should be great, if Thimbleweed Park was any indication. Hollow Knight Silksong might come out tomorrow.

I feel this whole generation has been oddly devoid of games, or at least games that I like to play. 

Luckily for me I played so few games last generation outside of the switch I've had almost 2 years of catching up with loads of killer titles.

15 hours ago, retroed said:

Gran Turismo 7.

This for me as well and it's not even close.

I haven't played too many 2022 games but ER really disappointed me so I doubt that'll even be in my top 5 by the end of the year. DL2 was a bit disappointing as well unfortunately. 

Playing through Horizon 2 right now as well and have been pleasantly surprised so far. 

Looking forward to the rest of the year though, even if it is a bit barren. TLOUPI, GoW:R and other big hitters like GoT on PS+ Extra should keep me entertained for the rest of the year.

Have been thinking about selling my XSX as I've not touched it since January but then think from Spring next year things should pick up, definitely cancelling Game Pass next month.

Launch-timing-update-for-the-sequel-to-The-Legend-of-Zelda_-Breath-of-the-Wild-0-54-screenshot-4dc3.jpg

Readers discuss the games they’re most looking forward to in the coming months and years, including God Of War and Sonic Frontiers.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Campbell, based on the fact that the E3 announcement season is now over and most of the games for this year have now been announced.

Although it’s a smaller range than usual, there were plenty of 2022 games that people were excited about, although 2023 titles such as Starfield and Zelda: Breath Of The Wild 2 seemed to get the most mentions.

As much as I'm looking forward to Ragnarok it's The Callisto Protocol that's my most wanted this year.

FFVII Rebirth for me. Can’t wait for that shit!

If I was to pick one from this year it’d probably be Bayonetta 3. Still not sure though, Platinum don’t seem to be the same company they once were and that recent trailer didn’t fill me with confidence. I’d still take it over anything else this year though. 

Callisto Protocol also. Normally can't wait for the next Zelda. But I'm nervous whether BoTW 2 will course correct and tilt back towards being a full on Zelda, so I'll hold off on that for now.

Top 10 most anticipated games of the year are below with Pokemon being #1 for sure but the rest are unordered 

• Pokemon Scarlet & Violet 
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Gotham Knights
  • Evil West
  • Calisto Project
  • Mario + Rabbids 2
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Hogwart’s Legacy

And Sonic Frontiers as well but that’s less excited and closer to morbidly curious about how they got it so wrong

It’s true but I make an exception for Sonic

I do like horror games and always have fun playing them but there’s also a struggle because I’m a baby.

Callisto looks really cool and definitely be playing it when it comes out. Looks more gruesome than scary, that I’m all right with 

This year it's God of War. The last game was a really good blend of action, story but also I thought it dealt really well with the myth-telling part of it, the way Dad and the head guy would tell stories on the canoe and stuff, and it had a much more rich and interesting imagination when it came to on screen versions of those myths, compared with the tits and gore approach of the old ones. I guess the sequel will be more balls to the wall action and give long running fans more what they want/expect, but they did a lot of work with that first installment to build good will with people like me who didn't enjoy the earlier (imo, shittier and repetitive) games.

Next year, it won't come out next year but FFVII. I guess we dunno how much of the rest of FFVII they are actually remaking and how much is new nonsense, but at least it's hitting that point in the story where they actually develop the characters a bit and one way or the other shouldn't have the crippling pacing issues remake had. FFVII Remake had the best combat I've seen in an ARPG and they are adding new party members in Rebirth, so that's exciting

Low key, but I am interested in Starfield. I don't think it looks amazing or anything, my anticipation is like a 5.5 or a 6 out of 10. But I am interested and probably day 1 on that, unless it turns out to be rancid

The new Baldurs Gate is probably the thing I'm most interested in, but even then I don't need it any time soon. I'm intrigued by Stray, but I don't think it looks amazing really

I'll buy God of War, Arkham Knights and Bayonetta 3, but the only one of those I'm confident is actually going to be good is God of War, I could see me hating Arkham tbh

Also I'm kind of dreading Sonic. It might be amazing if they get it right, but what they've shown looks so dull. I'd love to be wrong

Also I still don't get why people are so excited for the Potter game, given they showed fuck all and people were creaming themselves. Each to their own like, I'm not hoping it's bad or saying it will be, just seems to be based on nothing

They had a really extensive gameplay demo of Hogwarts a couple of months ago or so. The one where they showed the combat is like a 3rd person shooter but with wands and teleporting. It looks so not like Harry Potter but looks like a fun game. 

Not that I’m a Potter fan at all really but I thought it looked fun (Although I also think it’ll be delayed and won’t come out this year, but for now it says 2022)