passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

So back a long time ago when I worked at a certain videogame I had a really interesting discussion with someone much much smarter than me when it come to blockchain. They sold it on this premise, but without the payments or real world value.

Imagine you're playing a loot based game. You jump in on release and the game has nothing but white gear. Doesn't matter how hard you try, you cannot get anything of higher quality to drop. So you play the game with this gear and eventually you do something in game so often with a certain bit of gear that "levels up" and goes from being white to green, and it does while gathering data on what it's actually doing over the course of your playtime..

Say you're a Rogue type player. Your job is to go into the enemies backline and silently do backstabs. You wear the same shitty boots you found at the start of the game and the same shitty dagger and you just keep knifing people in the kidneys, the boots just keep levelling up in stealth and the dagger just keeps on piling up on backstab damage. After a while they get rebranded as "Sly's Strides" and Sly's Shank", maybe even becomes a set with set bonuses for equipping both pieces. Maybe if I'm tank hunting specifically they become "Sly's Tank Shank".

Of course there's only 1 set of these boots and daggers, but if I'm going to a certain vendor to get stuff repaired, that vendor is going to be able to do a "knock off" copy which someone else might buy and then "Sly's Tank Shank" branches off as they take it on their adventure. So then you have all these threads originating from one point, but from many many players viewpoints. Maybe these sets are commonplace within a guild as they get passed around helping everyone to do the content, at which point guild branded variants develop in the lootpool.

Eventually the gear enters near mythical status, it's well renowned not just in the game your playing, but also out of the game too. it becomes so valuable that it's not worth risking so becomes an heirloom that ends up in somebody's private collection or museum.

What I'm saying is blockchain has a lot of potential in games that it would make sense for it to appear in, but the greed of the companies making the games now won't allow it to go untouched because companies gonna company and ruin every good idea by trying to wring as much cash out of it for the least effort possible.

Fuck no, I'm not going to defend the grubbiness of the money around it. From a creative side there's extreme potential.

Another interesting fact is that the 'wallet' you have will be public for the whole thing to work, and because it's public things you own could appear in multiple games. Say I have the animated snakeskin paintjob in Rocket League, technically if there was wallet sharing across other games. Say Forza Horizon or whatever, that skin would appear wherever it was recognised.

Also no under 18's for this, I think by law you need to be 18 or above for wallet ownership. I think this is why the NFT stuff will fumble because they might struggle squeezing the KYC (Know Your Customer) stuff through when the laws catch up with it similar to how the law caught up with MTX.

Legally it's sort of all over.

Hey, this Matrix thing looks cool

At the same time, also the best way to explain what the 'uncanny valley' is to someone. We're getting ever closer but there's still certain things like lighting, and its effect on certain skin tones. As well as the stiffness of some facial features, which is less pronounced with the younger Keannu here.

This isn't really going to be a full game, obviously. I mean it's playable and non pre-rendered, but it's like the FFVII PS3 tech demo. 

Edit people are saying you can explore the city in the demo, and fly around doing superman shit. 

First I've heard of this...

A cinematic action-adventure set in feudal Japan, Trek To Yomi features challenging combat that puts the onus on patience and timing, as the game's katana-wielding protagonist uses his opponents' strength against them, using swift manoeuvres to throw them off balance, opening the window for a killing blow.

During your journey, you'll take on a range of enemies across picturesque but dangerous lands, including archers, spearmen, riflemen, and even supernatural foes, thought to be the stuff of folk tales.

Trek To Yomi will be coming to Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and PC in spring 2022, available day one via Xbox Game Pass.

Looks pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Mortal Kombat 30th anniversary is THIS year: Original trilogy remaster could land in 2022

Time really does fly doesn't it. This year will mark 30 years since Sub Zero, Scorpion and the iconic words 'Finish Him' were introduced to gamers with the launch of the first Mortal Kombat. This influential and iconic fighter from Midway debuted in the arcades in October 1992 before being ported to home consoles - and was like nothing like gamers had ever seen before.

The bloody, more adult-style of gaming and the striking digitised graphics created a huge stir, as well as controversy among conservative adults - with Mortal Kombat, along with other games such as Night Trap, featuring during the US Senate hearings on video games in 1993.

Mortal Kombat undoubtedly changed the shape of gaming forever, and spawned numerous sequels, comic books, movies, along with a hit 90s techno anthem as it became one of the most iconic gaming franchises of all time.

And fans of the series may have found out how the landmark 30th anniversary will be celebrated in 2022.

As highlighted in a post on Reddit, rumours have emerged about what Warner Bros Games and NetherRealm Studios have up their sleeves for the MK 30th anniversary.

It's been claimed a remaster of the original trilogy - Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2 and Mortal Kombat 3 - is coming in 2022.

While in 2023 or 2024 a new Mortal Kombat spin-off title will also allegedly launch.

The alleged leak, which originally was shared on notorious internet message board 4chan, claims the Mortal Kombat trilogy remaster is being handled by another studio apart from NetherRealm.

However - most interestingly - it's been claimed NetherRealm aren't handling the remaster themselves as the studio is busy working on a brand new IP.

This is reportedly a new franchise which is not a fighting game.

As always with rumours, make sure you take these claims with a huge pinch of salt until official confirmation.

Especially in the case of 4chan, which has hosted numerous bogus fake leaks which never came true.

However, occasionally a legitimate leak does surface on 4chan - such as details on Pokémon Let's Go before Nintendo officially announced the Switch game back in 2018.

Bioware blog post. Riding the wave of success of Mass Effect Legendary Edition, wants to build back it's reputation

https://blog.bioware.com/2022/01/06/state-of-bioware/

When I took on the GM role, I talked about rebuilding our reputation, and that remains a huge priority. We are laser-focused on building back the trust of our fans and community, and we plan to do that by delivering the types of games that we are best known for and ensuring they are of the highest quality. Our mission is to “Create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story.” We want the launch of our games to be seminal moments in the industry. We want each game to earn the kind of reaction we’ve seen with Mass Effect Legendary Edition. We feel that we have the right people, the right creative focus, and the support from EA to deliver on the promise.

Bioware have made some of my favourite story based/RPG games of all time, but it's been a long time since I've liked a Bioware game. Mass Effect 3, I think? Hope they make a come back.