passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

What a pile of shit 

There's nothing to justify this other than greed, and some ancient shitty nes games is really not enough of a make weight to justify the subscription, even if it is cheaper than their competitors 

Paid for online is one of the reasons I currently won't buy a Switch. I don't even have Gold on XBL anymore because I wouldn't get value out of it if I did. Sod paying to play a few games a bit online on Switch. It could be £12 per year and I still wouldn't go for it. I'm not fucking about with apps and stuff to get the full online experience. Everything should be there and up to the level of what we expect from an online service before they start putting their paws out for cash.

here's the pricing, not seen £s yet but I'd guess £18?

Individual Membership

• 1 Month: $3.99 USD / €3.99 / 300 yen
  • 3 Months: $7.99 USD / €7.99 / 800 yen
  • 12 Months: $19.99 USD / €19.99 / 2,400 yen

Family Membership

• 12 Months: $34.99 / €34.99 / 4,500 yen

You wouldn’t buy a Switch anyway @Sly Reflex you didn’t like the JoyCons or something from memory. You can’t make out at this point in its lifecycle that it is this that has put you off when you had no intention of getting one anyway :lol:

I’ll probably get the online service if Smash requires it, I don’t need it for MK8D as I never play that anymore. 

£18 incl. 20 NES Games is a good deal for me. £1.50 a month is literally nothing in this day and age, I spent more on 1 bottle of OJ shopping yesterday. 

The way it feels is another reason. Nintendo home consoles controllers usually feel right at home in the hands, but the Switch's just feel awful in every configuration. The ergonomics feel at odds with previous controllers.

The rumble is dope though, we need to see that as a gaming standard from now on.

each to their own @Blakey and I'm certainly not going to dogpile you for spending your money on what you want. I will say, paying for a service that was free, for 1 game (realistically there's never going to be a horde of games with online on the Switch, or at least I'd be surprised), and getting a handful of the same old NES games, shit ones too, I can't get behind that as being worth it

Having another yearly shakedown certainly isn't fun.

This was exactly what I was expecting so I'm not surprised.  It's a shame about the VC, but then the success of the Classic Mini consoles is maybe a big factor into why we don't have a VC anymore.

I dunno, I played a lot of online on the Switch last year due to Splatoon 2 and Rocket League but I haven't so much this year with Monster Hunter and Dragon Ball eating all my online time.  It maye just be a case of buying a 3 month pass when something online comes out.  We'll see, I guess.

Yeah similarly I played a lot of splatoon and some mario kart last year so it would have been worth it, but now I’m not so sure. It'll easy be worth it if you really get into an online game, but I’d still prefer it was free. Don’t really want to have to pay for all 3, I renewed my gold to play pubg with a friend, wasn’t really worth it, although the little bit of the pirate game we played was pretty good.

in more positive Nintendo news, they've announced a new, smaller Switch stand. It's adjustable and probably better for travel

Launching on July 13 at a suggested retail price of $19.99, a new adjustable charging stand for the Nintendo Switch system makes playing in Tabletop mode easier than ever. With a handy port for an AC adapter on the side, the adjustable charging stand allows the Nintendo Switch system to be charging while in Tabletop mode, enabling longer play sessions.

The angle of the stand can also be adjusted to create the best viewing angle for different environments.

Nintendo Switch can be played in three modes: TV mode, Handheld mode and Tabletop mode. Tabletop mode lets players set up the Nintendo Switch system to play games on the go without the need for a TV. The compact and sturdy stand will work with any flat surface, like a tray table on an airplane or a dorm room desk. While not required, the adjustable charging stand makes playing in Tabletop mode more convenient.

For more information about Nintendo Switch, visit nintendo.com/switch.

cPp8e0H.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

They’ve made some changes to the eShop.

The chart now shows the top 30 games, which is cool. You can switch between all games and download exclusives.

They’ve also added a discover tab which I don’t think is personalised (beyond not recommending games that you already own) but i could be wrong.

Square Enix devotes entire division to Switch

Square Enix is readying Octopath Traveler for launch as you read this, but that's not all it has up its sleeve for Switch. According to Tomoya Asano, division executive at Square Enix, more is on the way from the RPG juggernaut.

During my conversation with the team at Acquire and Square Enix about Octopath Traveler, Asano mentioned that the team became its own division in April. "Square Enix has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch," he says. "If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler."

There are several other titles we're currently working on for Switch.

When I ask Asano if games were already in development, or if Square Enix's future on the platform is contingent upon Octopath Traveler's success, he clarified his statement. "There are several other titles that we're currently working on for Switch," he says. "If you could just wait a bit longer, we'll work with Nintendo and announce them in the future."

No timetable was given for these future announcements, but it certainly seems as though Square Enix is all in on Nintendo's latest platform. With both Square Enix and Nintendo holding their own streamed presentations in the lead up to E3 next week, it's entirely possible that we'll see one or more of these projects announced, but nothing is confirmed as of now.