passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streaming Recommendations

Hendo

Watched the conclusion to Arcane yesterday. I think the first half was a bit better, as some elements were presented more subtly and it focused on a smaller group of people, but I also usually prefer the beginnings of stories to their end so that could just be a very personal thing, particularly as this one's prologue episodes are simply excellent.

It's still great throughout though, with a very balanced blend of interpersonal drama, politics and action scenes – the latter of which are for sure references towards the game even though I never played it. Unfortunately it doesn't really have an ending, like most shows these days, but stops at a cliffhanger moment for basically every present plotline. With the lavish production values, who knows how long we'll have to wait for S2. But on the other hand, there's enough to digest here, particularly visually (someone online described it as "running at 24 wallpapers per second" and I agree) to watch it a second time in the meantime. Probably the first time in months my recurring Netflix payments feel validated, this really is the best I've seen from them in quite some time.

Got about 30 minutes into Arcane the other night before the missus realised what we were watching and made me turn it off lol.

I'm impressed so far, the animation quality is excellent and some of the characters have a lot of promise, will be interesting to see how things progress as the season goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

mfnick watched it all I think

I only watched the first episode. Honestly I thought it was decent, but I also kind of think it felt a bit redundant. It kinda felt like it was replacing the effortless style of the original with more of a Joss Whedon camp and ironic snark. Which can be fun in its own way.

I don't understand why they cancelled it so fast though. It could be they lost a ton of money during production as Spike's actor had to take a 1 year break to recover from a surgery or something

Yea I watched it and really enjoyed it after a Rocky first couple of episodes. Shame it’s already cancelled but not going to lose sleep over it. Especially since at the end they introduced

Spoiler

Ed and I can’t stand that character. 

It does remind me why I don't bother watching much Netflix shows. They just cancel everything all the time, a conveyer belt of disposable 'content' with some occasional hits.

The problem is, lots of all time great shows have rocky first seasons. The Office US, Parks and Rec, but Netflix algorithm seems to be optimized towards ADHD or something. I only watch a show on there now if it ends up being a big phenomenon like Stranger Things or Squid Games cause at least if they turn out to be good there's close to a guarantee of a continuation. 

This thing will turn into a self fulfilling prophecy for netflix where people will see a new drama and just not watch it cause they want to know first if it will even be allowed to continue. Just a rubbish platform imo

I'm sure they looked at something like Bebop and concluded the cost outstripped the return. But man, then just stop making so many fucking shows all the time. The original content bubble is going to burst for these platforms at this rate. 

I'm told 90% of (successful) Netflix shows have a three season limit. Shows like Stranger Things being an exception, not the rule. I think to some of the shows I've really got into, that have continued for a decade or more EG X-Files. Three seasons seems like a bad, cancelled show in comparison.

Just finished Arcane

It’s really, really good. Add me to the list of people recommending it even though the game can burn in Hell. Give it at least 3 episodes that’s when I started to get into it properly. Love the art style too, the actions scenes are particularly great. It always adds a different little artistic twist and flare to them. Episode 7 was a really standout for me in that department. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...