passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

This is kinda wild news, I never thought anything as big as Activision would get snapped up by a console manufacturer.  But I guess with all the shit they've been up to it was gonna blow up in their faces eventually and it's safe to say Kotick is gone when it's all finalised.  While MS aren't known for shit working conditions I think this also means the unionisation efforts at A/B are also gonna take a hit and pushing it as a relative standard in the industry.

I'm not even that sure it's going to mean anything that interesting for us as Activision has barely done anything beyond CoD for a long time so there's not much I can think of that they're likely going to bring back to life that isn't a very deep cut.

Obviously, Xbox being the home of CoD on consoles is a huge get for them but I'm struggling to think of a reason to personally clap for this.  It's just looming weirdness to it that I don't think DJ Hero 3 would make go away.

49 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Sure you can buy the IP's, but you cannot buy the loyalty of people wanting to be creative. When you squeeze people they fuck off elsewhere

I get this normally but this is Acti-Blizzard. Possibly the worse company to work for - along with Ubisoft - in gaming going by employee reports. I can only speculate but as an outsider it looks far better working for MS than the current Acti-Blizzard entity itself so I don’t think that would really happen here. If anything I’d say this would keep more employees there rather than under current leadership.

Anyway, what fucking crazy news!!! I don’t really get it though. Haven’t WoW and CoD - basically the only games they make - been on a downward trend? & like I said they don’t really make anything else anymore. Overwatch has really upset it’s fanbase too. This seems ridiculously overpriced to me for what they provide these days. 

I guess they’re guaranteed income for the foreseeable but on a personal, selfish reason I would have preferred it if they bought a few “smaller” companies like Sega or Konami. Much more diverse and potentially larger library to hand for Game Pass then too. I’m not sure your average Cod player is going to be bothered about game pass either. They literally buy that one game along with FIFA and that’s it. Still cheaper to buy the game or just play Warzone for free rather than subscribe. & WoW players don’t get any benefit of it being on GP either. Do they? 

Edit - seen King is in there too. That’s a huge money maker! I wouldn’t be surprised if that was actually the most expensive part. 

I think if you're all in on Microsoft's platform then you're probably delighted, but it's not great news for the industry as a whole, for reasons everyone else has covered

From a personal point of view, I can't remember the last Activision game I played, it'll probably turn out to be some old PC series that got a sequel, so if they're MS exclusive it's not great loss for me, but eesh.

They're almost turning Sony in to Nintendo with this, the platform you buy because you like the 1st party games

Yeah, I think it's easy to get a person who doesn't play much beyond CoD into the GP  ecosystem than not.  

I'm looking through Activision properties and man there isn't much here and what is also could have ownership spread around.  Who wants a new Gun? (I guess I'd be morbidly curious at what would be post RDR)

Yea. It’s mad they’ve hardly got anything of worth. To us lot anyway. It’s all very meh! 

Wonder if this may finally lead to Tony Hawks 3 finally getting that lovely remaster treatment? 

I think the King side is really undervalued in this deal. Even though it doesn’t interest us, we all know how much the casual mobile market is worth. 

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

Pretty much me then.😅

And me. 

One thing that does concern me a bit is MS might use this to leverage more people to the Xbox stuff on PC, instead of just launching to steam. We've seen EA pull games from steam (and put them back because Origin is shite), Ubi took their ball home because they knew going to EGS would only make people buy direct from uPlay, so they were in a win/win (still no games returned to steam even though Connect is as bad as Origin).

Now with MS owning a big chunk of the games industry it wouldn't surprise me if they start flexing the quite frankly abysmal launcher/storefront they use for their stuff.

Also wouldn't surprise me if battlenet gets shuttered or rebranded at some point. I've not used battlenet in a long time, but it was pretty good from what I remember, so it's ripe for MS ruining it like the other stuff they've ruined.

Not as bad as console games going exclusive because I believe you should be able to buy on your preferred platform, but it's maybe more division in games collections that aren't needed or wanted.

I still have no idea what the thought is on what games end up on steam either, we get Horizons which I'm not bothered about, but no mainline Forza games?

Tbh, I think even at this point MS knows they cant launch exclusives on that store. Non PC folk might not know how broken it is but it's entirely unreliable and needs to just be deleted. It's not like the EGS thing where it's just missing tons of features.

Honestly, if they were gonna do a walled garden, use battle.net. I might still buy stuff on that cause at least it works 🤣

Obviously we have to see what games are produced but even if half of these studios get the right chance and support to do what they do then well, it’s probably the strongest game company ever, right?

FJaivTXX0AYdGtW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It’s like the fucking Avengers of game studios haha.