passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

Maf

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Kind've pissed that they're doing that weird screen ratio thing (Capcom went through a phase of doing that too) but this is still the game I'm most excited about that MS have announced. 

Digital only: https://www.ign.com/articles/senuas-saga-hellblade-2-is-a-digital-only-release

I'm disappointed in myself that I'm not even surprised. Probably just a way to make Gamepass more attractive. I could see myself getting a month just to play through this, as it's supposedly <10 hours long. I suppose MS is aware this is just a pure prestige product at this point, I can't really see how this would be profitable in a vacuum. A bit ironic if you think about how the first one came to be. 

I guess I thought Senua's Sacrifice was a smaller, digital game out of necessity because Ninja Theory were on the ropes during that time.  I'd wrongly assumed the next game would be Senua realised into something bigger now they have the opportunity to.  But it seems to be a game with the same scope as the original so I guess they are selling it using a similar strategy.  

I feel like I've seen Senua's Sacrifice on a shelf before, but I suppose that may have come later than the initial release.  That's seems less likely to happen now but I dunno, I'm not Michael Pachter.

I think it was more of a case study, they tried to build a game with some AAA qualities (visuals mostly) on a tighter budget to see if it's sustainable. I don't think they were in a particularly bad spot at that time--development of Hellblade overlapped with DmC, enforcing the idea that the former was simply a little experimental pet project for them. I'm not sure if this has a similar scope. It's obviously hard to say from an outside perspective but it has been in development for ages at this point.

As for the physical, I guess it's not entirely off the table but I wouldn't be surprise if it was only a limited release by a third-party à la Psychonauts 2.

This is what confuses me about this game. The original was a success in making a triple A looking game with minimum budget and a very quick turn around. I remember the press using it as an example of alternative games that could be made to help reduce some of the spiralling AAA game costs and ridiculous development times. 

This one has become the complete opposite of that. Especially in development time. They’ve become the very thing the original’s development cycle was against.

• 1 month later...