passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Watched the tetris film the other week, it was pretty good. I thought it would be good having seen a bbc documentary about it years ago, its a lot more interesting than youd expect a story about the licensing of a game to be. I do think the various documentaries are better mind as during the film im wondering which parts are true - i watched 2 documentaries about it afterwards - a lot of it is true but a lot is also made up to add more peril/action to the film. The old bbc doc and a newer one i watched are both very good and on youtube if anyones interested:

I watched Evil Dead Rise last night and loved it. By the sounds of it, of those of use that have seen it I'm the biggest Evil Dead fan, so it'll be interesting to hear what someone like Mark thinks of it when he gets to watch it. 

I absolutely loved it. Its the least Evil Dead in terms of how it's shot, there's no grindy camera movements or rapid ultra zoom, but considering its set in an apartment building it still feels like a modern Evil Dead. The sound design is great, watching it in the cinema and there's a moment in a lift where the sound comes from a far speaker that worked really well, assuming that stuff makes it in to the streaming version people with good sound set ups or headphones will really benefit. 

I liked the cast for the most part. The mum does a really good job in both her roles, one of the kids less so, but the mum is definitely the standout. 

As a criticism, there's a little too much foreshadowing. I was talking to someone who was complaining that it's a problem with modern films, they're not wrong really. I suppose it's to stop it feeling like Deus Ex machina, but it becomes too noticeable 

On 08/05/2023 at 02:17, mmmark said:

Renfield is pretty good fast hour and a half fun with great action and violence. Much recommend. 8/10.

Yeah I enjoyed this. I thought the concept looked better than the film in the trailers but it's actually really good. Good script, good performances, I even liked Awkwafina in this 

I just done watching Evil Dead Rise and it was really good. I might not have loved it as much I’d hoped. I’d hyped it up too much to myself 😅 and I watched during the day and not being well. But yeah pretty great and look forward to future projects and to see it again when I make the mrs watch them 😜

On 26/04/2023 at 05:28, OCH said:

Aside from the shotgun and chainsaw, which I thought were series staples at this point, I didn't notice any others?

Oh yeah and references. There’s quite a few. “Dead by dawn”, eyeball into the mouth, “come get some” to name a few. 

5 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I can't stand Nic Cage so Renfield is a no from me lol.

Same. I typically love Classic Horror monster films (Dracula has had it rough in the last few decades though). But it's Nic Cage.. I just can't bring myself to watch it.

9 minutes ago, mmmark said:

Oh yeah and references. There’s quite a few. “Dead by dawn”, eyeball into the mouth, “come get some” to name a few. 

I must admit, Rise is probably the first Evil Dead I've watched in a decade or so. So I might have to go back and start the series again to pick up on more.

There's not a whole lot to catch up on really, the 2013 reboot was the last film. There is a TV show, but it flew so under the radar and I think nearly nobody watched it. Despite it being supposedly quite good. Also its snubbing is part of the reason Bruce Campbell retired the character as it was so much work for something which didn't really reach people.

Pearl is good. I thought it was better than which was kind of underwhelming in my view. What I think is interesting though is how you can view the films in any order and the order will still work, which isn't usually the case with prequels

22 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

There's not a whole lot to catch up on really

I meant the film series. I've only really watched the original film and the 2013 reboot prior. Never seen ED 2 & Army of Darkness. I figured if I sat through all 8 Robocop films (discounting the last remake) and 9 Hellraiser films (still need to watch that reboot). The four Evil Dead films should barely take up a day off.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

ED 2 & Army of Darkness.

ED2 is a quasi remake of the first one, but with a bigger budget, it is the best of them all, but they're all great. There is an alt ending for Army of Darkness that I believe is now the "cannon" ending, but it doesn't really matter, it doesn't need over thinking.

I like ED2 and the 2013 ED - in terms of horror, but Army of Darkness is the best for horror/comedy balance.

I've seen S1 of the Ash v Evil Dead TV series - its alright, without being great, plus you get Bruce & Lucy Lawless back on screen again together which is a bonus (there was also a couple of Army of Darkness vs Xena comic books that I've got).

I think S2 ended up being screened by a different network/ streaming service, so I missed that at the time, but I've got it on dvd (still to watch) somewhere.

25 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

ED2 is a quasi remake of the first one

I see. I was always puzzled how ED was a franchise at all, given how the original film ends.

I fucking loved Ash Vs The Evil Dead TV show. Only the first 2 seasons were on Netflix at the time I discovered it and ended up paying full price for the 3rd on iTunes I was that desperate to see it. Fantastic show.

The original trilogy is also one of my favourite film trilogies of all time. I particularly loved 2 & 3. 

I wasnt interested in the new film but I’ll give it a go after the positive reception here. 

Ash Vs is absolutely fantastic. Having to wait so long for a 4th film with ash and then bang, a tv series. Brilliant. Such a good homage the the original films, maintaining all the deadite looks and feel of the films. The finale of the last season is excellent too.