passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Fast 9.

Very stupid. Lots of fun. The driving magnets part was particular good. That didn’t overstay it’s welcome like some action scenes in previous films too, such as the infamous runway. In fact I wish it was a bit longer. Enjoyed it a lot more than 8. 

Birds of Prey and blablabla

Some visually appealing scenes, set pieces and colours and Margot Robbie really is great as Harley but this might just be as bad as the first Suicide Squad. I only watched it in case it's ... "important" for the new, good, Suicide Squad but goddamn it felt like a massive waste of time. If not even McGregor can save your movie you've done a pretty bad job I'd say.

Are you sure you remember Birds of Prey well enough? Because there's really not much there, it's just a very paperthin concept and storyline with a very pretty coat of paint and every character except for Harley is underdeveloped and one-dimensional.

I don't really remember a lot about Birds of Prey apart from at the time I thought it was ok but the final third was a massive dog shit. The fact I can remember nothing in particular about probably tells you everything you need to know.

We watched The Suicide Squad the other day. It's ok, I'm not sure why I didn't really enjoy it as there is nothing wrong with it as such. It maybe felt a bit forced or trying to hard perhaps. Might watch it again soon as I felt like I should have enjoyed it more.

4 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Are you sure you remember Birds of Prey well enough

I know the humour landed a whole lot better for me with that film if nothing else... and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who's an automatic win.

I loved Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad.

DC have been on a roll since Shazam! for me, loved every one of their films they've put out from that movie onwards incl. JL Snyder Cut. Suppose this should be in the DC thread really, just my two pence.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I decided to do one more thing pre-surgery and go cinema... I wish I hadn't.

Candyman (2021)

This manages to commit the worst sin a horror movie possibly can. It is boring. There was a sizable crowd in the room with me and you could have heard a pin drop. You had several cliché tropes (note: not characters): Camp gay men, snotty art critic, racist cops etc etc some plotlines that went nowhere and were pure filler. Actors filling roles that seemed to be there for no reason either. The main plot is muddied at best and some of the narrative, while trying to be clever, is very preachy. It was nice for the two leads from the first Candyman (Tony Todd and Virginia Madsen, respectively) to have roles within the film too. The original Candyman wasn't exactly oscar winning, but it was entertaining. 4/10

So the new Dune movie is only half of the first book. Somehow I missed that info up until today. I guess that means I'll easily get far enough with the book until the movie releases.

Early impressions seem rather positive so far, not that there was any doubt Villeneuve wouldn't direct a stinker. One review made me chuckle though when they mentioned it being "humorless". They must not have read the book because it's just as dry as the sand on Arrakis. 

Well tbh the trailer has people quipping and stuff which seems very different to the first half of the book which I did read.

They ain't finishing this thing anyway, so I hope the second half of the book isn't absolutely incredible or anything. I hope it just sucks so I don't feel like I'm missing out.

No idea what the situation for watching this is on this part of the planet tho. Obviously cinema is out of the question and we don't have HBO Max here. Do we have to put up with Sky Atlantic's terrible Now TV compression, I really hope not. I'll gladly play the inflated Disney + style pricing to watch this film if it is a good 4K stream, maybe throw in that dolby vision and see if I notice it this time around

Just got a mail from our local cinema that Dune will release on the 15th September. In the US it comes out on the 22nd October, what's up with that?

Maybe I should go watch it before the big internet flood of impressions pollutes my expectations in one way or another. But I don't want to go through all these Covid blockades... ugh.