passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

But it's an interesting film, better than US imo

See, I think US was better, felt more coherent and I didn't see the twist coming either, but I think you can make arguments for either. It's a pretty impressive three film debut anyway you look at it

3 hours ago, mmmark said:

Signs has glimpses of Aliens until the finale and no ufo. And is the better film by far both in theme and family drama. 

Yeah I think you might be right (about it being better, not the plot which you are absolutely right). I've seen Signs 3 or 4 times and not for years, but I still think about it a lot as well. maybe it's aliens I think about

• 3 weeks later...

Extraction 2... I like Chris Hemsworth and I liked this film, never tries to do anything more than evoke feelings of eighties action flicks and their unkillable heroes... and features a brilliant one shot action sequence.

I went for a wonder yesterday and fancied getting a 4k blu ray from cex as I hadn’t tried one yet. They had a small selection but a couple caught my eye.

The first was Godzilla King of the Monsters. This was tempting as it looks brilliant in hd as it is. But I’ve seen it multiple times so I went with something I’ve kept meaning to watch and never got round to it..

No Time To Die was picked up and bought for a measly £8. 2 disc ‘collector’s edition’. Just seems to mean it comes with a 4k disc and a regular blu ray.

So later that day I popped the bugger in and sat back for Craig’s final outing in full Technicolor. Wow, immediately even just the universal logo and the roaring lion of mgm looked brilliant. Then the film itself, well you all know what 4k films look like, outstanding. Very impressed with the quality and didn’t expect such a jump from 1080p. Idk why, it’s obvious in hindsight.

The movie itself was spectacular. I was dreading that it would be so slow and take so long between the action that I’d just be looking at my phone most the time. This wasn’t the case at all. We’re thrown from one scene to the next with such gay abandon. One dangerous situation leads to another leads to an MI5 rogue collaboration between characters before being back somewhere else in the world for more intrigue and action.

The ending was nuts. Wasn’t expecting that but it was so well done and kinda perfect.

Loved it. 9/10.

Fast X

That was terrible 😂. Still feel I have to watch them though. 

As a side note, what is it with most recent bug budget films having terrible CGI? Thought we’d solved the bad cgi issue years ago. Almost every film I watch has really distractingly bad cgi now though. 

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Was fucking banging, absolutely loved it. Very much in the same mould as Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade, I had doubts going in over Harrison Ford's age but you just kind of forget about it after the first half hour or so and he gives an amazing performance as Indy once again. I really liked Phoebe Waller-Bridge in it as well and the Moroccan kid. 

Absolutely love a bit of Mads Mikkelson, he is a bit typecast but so good in this as a Nazi Scientist. The ending is absolutely fucking batshit insane in all the best ways as well and they wrapped everything up so nicely without giving anything away.

Superb, highly recommended.

While I'm here I'm guessing we're all seeing Barbie and Oppenheimer next weekend?

If so, which is your preferred viewing order?

Mine is going to be Oppenheimer in IMAX on the Saturday afternoon and then Barbie at lunch time on the Sunday afternoon.

I also think (hope) there's more to Barbie than meets the eye and it seems to perfectly combine the laughable ridiculousness of the entire IP with a deep respect for it, even if that sounds a bit contradictory. Plus with the people involved I can't imagine this turning out to be something shallow that's just about pink toys. That's really not the kind of movie Gerwig, Gosling and Robbie would do IMO.

But I doubt I'm going to see it in cinemas because it's destined to attract all the wrong crowds, like loud teens going in to make fun of it and such. Rather wait for the VOD release and hope to sail past the spoilers until then.

I understand that the Barbie movie is going to be some ironic comedy that someone's nieces aren't going to be too old for, and that clip that circulated did make me laugh but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to see it too.

And I tend to find Nolan's poe faced hands offish-ness to characters and themes pretty unentertaining.  It's like worse Fincher I'm pretty over him.

3 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

that someone's nieces aren't going to be too old for,

Oh that was a direct quote from my nieces. They have seen the trailers, not impressed.