passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

I think that apartment was supposed to be shitty, by Pixar standards. The Symbiote was always hungry and eating, in Venom. But the menu wasn't strictly the same as in Ratatouille. The parallel, as pointed out to me by a friend, is wild though.

I watched the 2019 remake of Child’s Play. It was shite, but entertaining shite I guess. When I paused at 30 minutes and saw that there was 90 minutes left I was like what the fuck, but once it got going it passed quickly enough. Worth a watch. 5/10

I haven't seen the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, but then again I didn't think much of the original. As far as the Child's Play remake, I was enjoying it, until the 'ET Finger' moment. Then it lost me completely. Still not the worst film I've seen in recent years... cough, cough The Predator cough

18 minutes ago, Nag said:

I watched that the other week too, it was actually better than I thought it would be. I also watched the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, that was worse than I thought it would be.

Watched the Childs Play reimagining last week too. Agree on both accounts. 

3 hours ago, Rikzilla said:

The symbiote was always hungry, but trying to say he had "a love for good food" is a stretch - he eats rotten chicken out of a bin.

Yeah it’s a vague description of both films to try to make them appear similar. Wasn’t the “evil rich man” in ratatouille a food critic? 

I watched Fantasy Island last night, which might also be a remake? Don't know, certainly the same title but I suspect a very different film than the past. 

It's ok, there's another timeline where it's actually really good, this is just ok and not sure what it wants to be. It never goes full horror, it's never gets clever enough for you to care about the twists, doesn't delve in to the characters enough to care about their fates. Not the worst thing, 3 of the 4 actors I recognised did a good job in it

Continuing my horror binge, I watched Robert Egger’s “The Witch”. The more I think back on it, the more I like it. The film takes you back to a time when people did believe in Heaven and Hell, and did fear the devil, and it takes those fears and makes them real. I’d give it 8/10. It definitely makes me want to see The Lighthouse.

Sonic The Hedgehog

itunes have it on offer at the moment so thought I’d give it a go. Very, very surprised!! I actually found it really enjoyable. Nothing amazing as expected but it was actually good. I couldn’t believe it. They made great use of the source material without slavishly sticking to it. Loved the sparing use of classic music at the end decoration scene and the end credits animation was brilliant too. Actually laughed a couple of times as well. Madness. 

7/10

Hope the sequel has some Super Sonic in it. 

Watched Arrival by Denis Villeneuve. I had high expectations because i loved Blade Runner 2049 and i knew this was critically acclaimed, but to be honest i was bored out of my mind the whole time watching it. I was (and still am) very sleepy today, maybe too sleepy to watch a slow burner like this. And I was watching it with a friend so maybe i would paid more attention if i was alone. But it never grabbed me. 5/10

@radiofloyd that's a shame, maybe a second watch when you're in a different frame of mind. If you liked 2097 than I would thought you would have enjoyed it. I keep meaning to watch it again, I thought it was pretty amazing. It was a good double bill for Amy Adams that year with Arrival and Nocturnal Animals.

Yeah I adored Arrival (and Nocturnal Animals too for that matter).

Saw a couple films recently:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Went in with low expectations and enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It’s just a fun charming little film. The plot could be written on the back of a cigarette packet and it’s incredibly predictable but it’s jut a nice place to be for a couple of hours. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Knives Out

Went in with high expectations for this and it just about matched them. I loved it overall but felt between the 1st and 2nd reveals went a bit slow, after the 2nd reveal it turns magnificent again and the ending is fantastic. So yeah, really enjoyed it and can’t recommend it enough. Rian Johnson is such a treasure.

I watched Capone tonight. It's a new Al Capone film, set in the final year of his life, released from prison and losing his mind from ill health. The first half hour or some I was mocking it, it's got Tom Hardy doing a voice, it's just him grunting like he's decided to channel the Penguin. I like Hardy as a rule, but he shouldn't be in this, the make up is very obvious, he's too young and healthy looking to play Capone, even with the makeup, you're always aware you're watching Tom Hardy

That said, it turns in to a great film, tense and strange. If Tom Hardy were 10 years older who knows, if he was still alive I think Gandofini could have done a really good job of it, although he was too tall to play Capone I suppose

Arrival is one of my favourite movies of the last decade. I found it to be incredibly intense despite having such a slow pace and the concept around the alien language was such an interesting and clever idea.