passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I'm not good at remembering E3s but I'll always remember the Xbox e3 for 'project natal' as being dreadful. That whole gen was pretty depressing imo, I get that gaming was growing in its appeal but it felt like each company was trying to chase dumb trends constantly and with Xbox it was particularly bad.

I dunno if it's a hot take or anything but the ps3/360 gen was really bad IMO compared with PS4/Xone. 

The Wii instrument thing. Haha that was pretty fucking terrible. My memory is terrible so not sure yet but mine might be the same one.

Man the whole Wii time was fucking shit. Think I’d take the current mtx and service game heavy industry over going back to that shit. 

This is the first year I've been bothered enough to watch any of E3, to be fair. I usually just skim through articles and comments after the fact. That said, even I remember seeing what @bellow was talking about... ? 

5 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

dunno if it's a hot take or anything but the ps3/360 gen was really bad IMO compared with PS4/Xone. 

I'd class that as a fairly decent hot take.

I just find this goofy stuff funny like My Body is Ready, Ravi Drums and Giant Enemy Crabs.  It's all very meme-able and a key part of E3 to me.  It's a bit lame when they purposefully try to manufacture it but it is what it is.

But I guess what I think is worse is stuff like Killzone 2 and Watch_Dogs where the initial announcements are not representative of the game and I get that they're displaying what they're aiming for but it's not clearly communicated and just ends up letting lots of people down.

Oh, and there was that time Nintendo tethered a bunch of ladies with 3DSs which I've heard was really uncomfortable for those covering E3.

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I dunno if it's a hot take or anything but the ps3/360 gen was really bad IMO compared with PS4/Xone. 

PS4/One was basically just refining what PS360 did. It's easy to look at clunky Mass Effect or repetitive Assassin's Creed and see them as inferior but without them we wouldn't have what we do today. I'd rather relive that generation for the first time than this one to be honest.

As for epic E3 fails, the Wii music stuff must surely be one of the worst. I also vaguely remember one E3 presentation where something about EA's background tech went wrong and the Battlefield trailer got cut, showing the release date way too early or something. Stuff like that can happen of course but Andrew Wilson (?) handled it extremely poorly. Or maybe he was just a guest at a Microsoft show? Really don't remember the details too much.

11 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

PS4/One was basically just refining what PS360 did. It's easy to look at clunky Mass Effect or repetitive Assassin's Creed and see them as inferior but without them we wouldn't have what we do today. I'd rather relive that generation for the first time than this one to be honest.

That might be the case, but IMO the first draft of that gen was still abysmal. Out of all the gens it's the one that holds up worst for me on top of the fact that those machines were really not suited for HD gaming and had really bad image quality/performance issues even by the standards of the time. Japanese gaming fell behind and chased the west, which was largely copying each other (RE6 being the nadir of this, imo). I think also I would be fine to live in a world where Assassin's Creed had no influence and I can't really think of any specific influence Mass Effect had, except in the sense that choice driven games have left the good/evil binary choice system in the dust. Whereas with the gen just past I feel like both West and East were doing equally cool stuff, less concentration of big hits maybe but the hits themselves were all more interesting to me and felt like a return to form for a lot of developers who really felt lost with the PS3 in particular

Think it was Dark Souls 1 that broke me out of the malaise a bit. 

I've thought of another pretty bad E3 moment, not the worst ever but when Square showed off this FFXV boss fight and none of the fighting looked good in it. The discomfort of the presenters is very visible and kinda hard to watch, pretty unfortunate showing tbh

That’s because FFXV is shit. 

Personally the 360 is one of my favourite ever consoles. I thought that gen was pretty damn great. Wii excluded of course. Lots of brown shooters too but there’s always a trend that takes off in every generation I hate. Such as everything being a open world or service game these days. Still plenty of awesome shit there though. 

Dont think it was e3 just a nintendo direct and its funny looking back on it but at the time the one where they spent 30 mins explaining everything about smash bros was pretty bad.

360 is probably the best console. Especially for racing games, halo, and shmups, if you dont like that stuff though fair enough.

We remember the stuff like Wii Music because it was funny though, same with the 1 million troops, very very dance, giant enemy crab, TV! TV! TV! TV!  the guy fighting with the six axis trying to control the game. There's so many of these instances across the years that it'd be impossible to name them all.

There was one, I don't know if it was last year or the year before where EA got a guy that was a big Vine guy or some shit. Jesse, I think his name was. I watched a podcast that had him on and he said he had no idea what was going on and it was a complete mess from top to bottom.

The most guilty ones are the ones we've completely forgotten, those bits where they've slipped our minds on how unremarkable they were. To spend so much money on a presentation that is ultimately forgotten as soon as it's over is the worst crime.

FF7-f216.jpg

Readers discuss the best video game music from the current and previous generation, including Returnal and Ori And The Blind Forest.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by reader Andee but limited the discussion to the PlayStation 4 and 5 era, to ensure it wasn’t just the usual suspects that got mentioned.

People found plenty of games to praise, although there was some concern that modern soundtracks are not as memorable as those of old, even if they are technically more accomplished.

Always been shit at remembering game music but one that immediately came to mind is Katana Zero. The soundtrack to that bangs. 

Both the new DOOM games have great soundtracks that fit perfectly.