passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

The GBA rules.  I still have a lot of my collection tucked away but when I have to move it for whatever reason I'm always packing them up, looking through, and realising how much they own.

I guess in the right situation any console can bring that feeling, but since I couldn't easily get rid of my GBA collection, I feel it most with that.

The N64, 360 and PS4 are probably my favourite ever consoles.

N64 just had such an amazing 1st party lineup with Rare and Ninty firing on all cylinders.

The 360 had some amazing games and was 'the' place to play online games (for me), I was that kind of age where the whole dude-bro masculine frat boy kind of vibe the console (and its games) gave off suited me to a tee.

PS4, an amazing, reliable console with a peerless 1st party exclusive line-up, quite frankly a ridiculous number of amazing exclusive ground-breaking AAA games on the system.

I will say I really like my Switch as well though.

Yeah for me the Switch doesn't fill any niche, too big to be handheld and too underpowered as a console. Defective joycons only make it less appealing

I've thought about modding it, turning it into a steam remote play machine or something. I think that's something you can do and I haven't updated or turned it on in over a year

Crap question this week... Did you buy a Series X/S, we already know who did that so meh.

Nag says....

Slightly touched upon by @OCH earlier this week, in regards to gaming do you suffer "buyers remorse"? Is it a cost thing or is it mostly if something turns out disappointing?

Get it the odd times. Mainly from a cost perspective, I can order a game/console/accessory and immediately feel terrible about doing it just because of the money involved. I’ve cancelled orders in the past due to  it. 

Don’t normally get it from a disappointment point of view as I still buy my games physical so can sell

them on if I don’t like them. I have cocked up and took a chance on a digital version at times - most recently NFS Heat. I definitely had buyers remorse from that since it’s shit and I couldn’t sell it back on. But very rare I do that. 

The PSP Vita, I suppose. As I mentioned prior, I only had Suikoden 1 & 2 on it via PSN. I never owned an actual PSP game to play on it. I had to buy it when I moved, as otherwise I had nothing to play. The Ex, at the time, watched TV and such. Looking down on gaming as a "kids thing".  When I moved back to London, I traded it in. It served a purpose, but I never really utilised it for what it was intended to do.

Easily the Wii and Xbox One for me.

Wii taught me that I don't like motion controlled stuff.

I'm going to catch some flack for this, but I don't care. Xbox One is just an awful machine. The dash from the start has been possibly the worst designed bit of GUI I've ever seen, sure it looks nice, but it's so shit to navigate. Finding anything in the settings has been a right trail. Stuff like setting up parties was made harder for no other reason than they wanted you to use apps instead of having that shit hard baked in. The community descended into itself, those that hung about instead of migrating to PS4 never ever played, it became impossible to play anything with people I knew. This instantly put it on the back foot.

Speaking of games, I don't think I've played anything that tested my patience as much as the One has. I've had games not be allowed to boot. I've not been able to sign in for no other reason that it's being a finicky shit. Sometimes a game has booted but not allowed me to get passed the splash. I do not know why. I've had instances where I can get into the game, but I can't use my save, again I have no idea why this is a thing. The recording feature buggers up the running of the games when I used it. Downloads were frequent and intrusive. Updates would often fail. The play while install thing was used to let you have a look at MTX stuff and little else.

The Xbox One left a really bad taste in my mouth as far as Xbox stuff goes. It's easily the source of my biggest gaming regret by far.

I guess I would regret investing lots of money in xbox 360 at the time cause it meant I had most of my library on a machine that kept breaking down all the time and having to be replaced.

Reason why I don't buy xbox anymore. Don't care what people might say, if someone releases faulty hardware like that I'm not going to waste time giving them custom again.

edit actually I'm changing my answer, it's 3ds. I have such regret at buying it that I forgot I bought it. The 3d looked terrible and hurt my eyes and it had very little I was interested in. Turns out that Ocarina of Time is not so good when you are trying to play it in 2016 instead of 1998

I wouldn't blame you for that if you ended up having to get 5 of the fuckers cause they kept malfunctioning

it wasn't just rrod either, later xbox editions kept having failing DVD drives. It wasn't until the NXE update which allowed you to install games that the issue sort of subsided cause of reduced disc activity

Sly’s right about both. 
The Xbox UI is terrible. It’s my primary console so I’ve gotten used to it & the One X helped since it increased the speed significantly but it’s still bad. 
As for games not starting too - “this game took too long to start”. Oh how I love that stupid fucking error.  I’ve never had so much trouble playing games as I have on my One(s). 

Game Pass and the legacy stuff is so fucking good I’m willing to forgive it though. 

If we’re talking about more specific buyers remorse and purchasing regrets then I’m going to go for every Nintendo console since the GameCube. I’ve not enjoyed using any of their controllers since which massively alters how much I enjoy playing games on them. I just don’t enjoy their games anywhere near as much as anyone else either. But I always buy into the hype whenever another comes around. Always thinking this will be the one where I “get it”. Not happened yet. 

Pretty certain I had three, one of those was by choice though as I wanted a black slim model (360's)

The Wii was the only console I've ever regretted buying... to this day I'm still not entirely sure why I was sucked in to the hype of buying the thing. Certain games I've felt remorse with but that's purely down to them being utter let downs.

I’m struggling to think of any gaming stuff I really regret, and I’ve got loads of gaming crap lying around, had a Jaguar briefly, but it was really cheap so don’t really regret it. Original gba had a terrible screen, but the 2 games I played on it were ace so I don’t know, only played more gba games when I got a ds. Got an Xrgb 2+ which I thought would be a good investment for the future, it converts scart to vga, then TVs stopped having vga ports, so that was a bad buy I guess.

I do loathe how much of the Wii library has been gated off, due to the control scheme. In a way that has led to some regret. Ignorance is bliss, after all. If I hadn’t owned: Madworld, Zack & Wiki, Wii Punch Out or Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, for example. I wouldn’t miss some of my favourite games from the last decade.