passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

5 hours ago, Blakey said:

Nah.

You didn't finish 5 and didn't like the campaigns because you have no friends.... can't blame the games for that dude.?

Spoiler

Love ya really.?

It's a tough call to say it's the worst, but from the Elder Scroll games, Morrowind is the one I've revisited the least (I won't count Arena as I didn't play that on release, only caught up in later years, and I've not tried TESO).

So out of Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim it's that murky brown land of Vvardenvell that's drawn me back the least, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

I think the problem with FF13 was they basically prioritised the new fighting system and built everything else around it, last minute. The story is terrible, while the characters are boring and generic. Yet worst of all, the world you get to explore is so small it is insulting for a mainline FF title.

I don't think the FFXIII cast is generic, it's just the way the story is told and how they communicate with each other that's abysmally poor. I still remember some weird conflict between Snow and Hope (also who the hell gave them those names?) which made absolutely zero sense and could have been resolved by them talking to each other for two minutes, but they dragged that along for hours.

The battle system was indeed rather fun and the game was incredibly pretty for its time but everything else was poop.

7 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

You would hate Three Houses as it has all the problems you mentioned, if you haven’t played it already.

A friend of mine who hates Awakening even more than I did absolutely loves Three Houses. It definitely looks different enough for me to give it a try at some point.

Nope. In any number of ways I don't think it was a particularly good year. For me, and obviously this will vary for everyone, there were precious few games that came out last year I'd say I really liked. My top 10 ended up including the likes of Devil May Cry and Rage 2, both games I enjoyed, with DMC being the better made, but there's no way both would have got in my top 10 in previous years. 

There was the rise of service games, bad ones at that in Anthem and Fallout, although I'll admit to really liking Apex. There was the continued push towards streaming, granted Stadia looks like its not taking off but these things can change, but they've paved the way for Microsoft's to look like a good thing in comparison 

I will need to revisit this question when I'm done with Disco Elysium, but I think it was a great year. Disco I think will end up near my top 3 if we were able to re-litigate 2019. It has that whole interactive video game novel thing that I really loved from PS:T, which is one of my all time favourite games. Except Disco might be better because it has no combat.

DMC5, Sekiro and KH3 made it a good year for that kind of japanese action, tho I wasn't much gone on Sekiro. Outer Wilds was stunning, like an indie Breath of the Wild. Death Stranding seems like it was a bit of a flop but I have to applaud the balls of a game that's literally a walking simulator. It was very refreshing.

I almost forgot to mention RE2.

2019 feels like typical AAA gaming took a bit of a break and lots of weirder offbeat experiences took a chance to flourish like Control. I much prefer it to 2018 anyway, which for me was a weak year except for GoW. Maybe Spider-Man.

It had a couple of standouts which I loved like Blasphemous and RE2 but overall I thought it was a pretty poor year. Plenty of decent to good games but not many stand outs. Looking at all the top 10s from people last year there were hardly any that I felt the need to play. 

Ive yet to to play DMC 5 and Control though which do appeal and I’d love to play Disco Elysium but haven’t got a way to unfortunately. 

I’ve yet to play KH3, Outer Wilds, The Outer Worlds, Disco Elysium, Astral Chain, Link’s Awakening, Death Stranding, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Code Vein or countless other indie games...but based on the two big games I played - Sekiro, which was excellent, and Fire Emblem Three Houses, which was pretty good, I’d say it was a solid enough year.

Im not going to pretend 2019 was a classic year but two releases which both exceeded expectations  (RE2 and Gears 5) made it a good one. Other than that, other releases were mixed for me with some good to middling games... and a few I thought I'd love and ended up quite disliking.

2019 was shithouse for me.

The only amazing games I played were DMC5, Sekiro and KH3 and of those Sekiro was by far and away the best.

I only gave one 10/10 of the entire year (Sekiro) which is saying something for me. I think only 1 other game I finished got a 9/10 as well, it was mostly a 7/10 year with some 8s thrown in as well. 

This year has been horrendous so far as well. 

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

Nah, RE2 is most definitely a 7/10 game ?

Wasn't getting at that... calling a year "shithouse" and then scoring everything above average seems abit contradictory is all.