passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Dead By Daylight. I’ve sank at least 2000 hours into it since release. Though I’ve not played it much lately, due to an ever building backlog of games. But it’s certainly one of my favourite games of this generation.

Yakuza Zero. The Yakuza series is consistently excellent, by far my favourite series. Zero is just outstanding, from a huge amount of content, to an enjoyable story. It never puts a foot wrong.

Dark Souls 2. It’s not regarded well

by long term souls fans. But it’s the only one in the franchise I’ve managed to complete. And despite the many, many deaths it caused me, I still bloody loved it.

In no particular order...

The Witcher 3. I know a few people have said this, but The Witcher 3 is the kind of game I'd normally look at and instantly decide it wasn't for me. I don't generally 'do' D&D-looking games. Dragon Age got a passing glance. Skyrim and Oblivion I've tried 5 or 6 times between them and got bored of pretty quickly. But something about TW3 piqued my interest. Maybe it was the look of Geralt. Maybe it was all the glowing reviews. Maybe it was Gwent. Most likely, it was the £13 price point and me thinking 'fuck it, I can play this for 13 hours and make it worth my money'. 119 hours later (and I still haven't played the DLC), and TW3 is one of the greatest games I've ever had the joy of playing. I discovered while playing it's NOT D&D, but based on Eastern European fairy/folk tales. The action is incredible. Some of the storylines are outstanding. And everything about it is all so well rounded. It's just a sublime experience.

Rock Band 3. You know how you always have that game you can go back to, and while your skills might not improve, you always have a good time? That's what this was for me. Whether I was playing through the single-player campaign or using it in the same way I use Cards Against Humanity now (getting pissed and playing it instead of having to converse when around people), I always had fun and enjoyed myself. The set-list wasn't great, but between the awesome downloadable tracks, the licensing from the previous games and the unique fun that it always provided, this was an outstanding game for me.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Given that AC is a series I was on the fence about until Black Flag, I wasn't sure how good the soft reboot was going to be. Turns out Origins was incredible. Not only did Odyssey build on this, but it also brought the awesome ship combat back. Another game I put over a hundred hours into. Just fantastic and it felt like it was made specifically for me.

Off the top of my head:

Portal 2 - builds so well on the original and never feels like a cash grab sequel

Breath of the Wild - took me a few tries but when it clicks it's an amazing experience, made all the better that I could play it on the train

Grand Theft Auto 5 - works better that 4 for having three distinct characters with different personality types which makes the mayhem and carnage make more sense. Combined with good story telling and script as well as a city that feels alive, plus a solid multiplayer experience, GTA5 is my game of the last decade.

Almost got in the list

Mass Effect 2 - probably should be in there really, it was great

Mario odyssey - doesn't hit the heights of Galaxy but still am amazing 3d Mario experience

Forza Horizon 4 - not really played enough to say for sure, but it is easily the best racing game I've played this decade.

Pinball fx3 

Stardew Valley

No question again this week.... *sigh.

e3-2020games-slideshow-1560473871171.jpg

Nag says... a new year and new games, what are you looking forward to the most this year? A certain game? New consoles? E3?

Spill it.

Learning more about the new consoles I think. Not even playing them, because history has shown that the launch (window, year, whatever they class it as now) is a bit dry, but I do like the full reveals and hype around them.

I wish I could say I'm excited for Cyberpunk but I'm not really, I've full faith it will be good, amazing even, just the tone of it isn't quite for me, which is odd because I love Ghost in the Shell and Bladerunner. Streets of Rage 4 I'll pick up, but again, it doesn't look like Streets of Rage, at all, I just hope it's good. Vampire the Masquerade looks good, Maneater looks potentially interesting, Skate Bird looks amazing.

I'll definitely pick up Doom and The Last of Us, but I'm not excited for either game. 12 Minutes could be interesting or tedious as fuck. I can't think of anything else that leaps out, the new Yakuza should make the end of the year I guess, I'm curious about that if not excited

Cyberpunk!!! 
Most I’ve looked forward to a game for what feels like years.

Doom Eternal is up there too. & of course Last of Us 2 should be absolutely incredible, only slight against that is the fact I really think they should have left it at 1 and done. The first just felt so complete and done it didn’t need a sequel at all. But still can’t wait for it. 

Interested in what the new consoles bring too. If they’re full BC I’ll be buying at launch. Defo Xbox at least anyway if I can’t afford both. Fingers crossed for a new, awesome Forza Motorsport game with it too. 

Weirdly enough, Breath of the Wild 2. I want to see if Aonuma can reign it back a bit into a Zelda I can enjoy again. As opposed to the second Zelda I've gotten rid of before completing (Skyward Sword being the first).

FF 7 Remake and REmake: Nemesis are default alternate answers after all.

Pretty much everything in the month of March. Cyberpunk, Axiom Verge 2, Doom 2, FF7R, Ori 2. I’m also quite curious about Darksiders Genesis as well. I didn’t really care about it at all but Eurogamer done a video on it when it was on Stadia and it looks all right. Also that Ninja Blade game which I’m guessing will be a PS5 launch title at this point. 

To a lesser extent I also want to play the Bayonetta/Vanquish ports. Not holding out much hope those games will get justice but we’ll see.

This is just me but I’m also looking forward to playing Doom 64. Just because I’m such an N64 nut and that was one of those games I never got to play as a kid. Apparently it’s bad but I loved Quake 2 on the N64 so we’ll see. 

I will say as much as I really am interested in playing the Final Fantasy 7 remake. I’m absolutely dreading the internet around that game’s release. It’s just going to be endless spunking, complaining and excruciating analysing over every last little bit of a game which won’t deserve it. That’s not to say it won’t be great, but there’s no game in history that will warrant the endless bullshit I feel like I’m going to have to endure this year when it comes to this game. 

EDIT: Also maybe Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 will finally be more than teaser trailers?

Ffvii probably, but I think that game is going to be really short and disappoint people hugely.

But I also think it looks really well made and has the best looking combat I've seen in an ARPG. So I bet I'll like it at least.

Also just for me personally I'm excited for the road map for FFXIV. Ruby weapon is going to be a raid boss, hells yeah. Cant wait to hear Soken's take on FFVII. Also more of that FFVIII themed raid, then more Nier raid. Yay

I'm in the @DANGERMAN school of thinking with the new consoles, I'll obviously be buying (unless some catastrophic event takes place) but I love the build up of a new generation, I'm looking forwards to seeing if these are really the huge jump forward that's being hyped up.

As for games, it's the obvious big hitters... FFVII Remake, TLOU PT2, Cyberpunk and the Resident Evil 3 Remake... this year could end up quite special.

Oh, yeah, Hollow Knight 2 is a good call^ 

Very interesting but also intimidating. As amazing as that first game was it was also one of the hardest games I’ve ever played. I still never got past the White Castle or whatever it was called. If they wanted to tone that aspect of it down by like 1 or 2 actually, I would be ok with that. Parts of that game I think can be really mean for no reason.