passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

PS5_vs_Series_X.jpg

@spatular says... "What do you expect from these next gen consoles? Now that cross generation releases are drying up (finally) apart from prettier graphics what do you expect when it comes to Series X and PS5 exclusives?"

Ideally I’d like them to not push pretty graphics anymore. Keep the level we’re at with 60fps being normal. I mean we don’t need games to look any better than Miles, R&C Rift Apart, Horizon  and God of War Ragnarok. Plus Game budgets and dev time is already out of control. 

If you want to use that extra power on things apart from 60fps, use it on physics and interactivity instead. Look to things like Zelda TOTK and older games like Red Faction Guerilla and GTA IV. Give me those kinds of interaction and level of destruction or GTA IVs physics - which haven’t been improved IMO & supposedly more games don’t use it because it’s “expensive” on the system. Well you’ve got loads of extra power now use it for things like that. 

What we’ll actually get though is a push for 4k and very slightly prettier graphics that will in all honestly look barely any better.  Meh. I look forward to RTX being a thing but that’s another generation or 2 away being realistic. 

Ye basically as above. I also don't think these systems are RT ready tbh

One thing I don't like about modern games is their image quality, it seems to have gotten worse since last gen due to FSR and things like that. FFXVI is at 720p native upscaled to 4k most of the time in fight scenes, kinda ridiculous, doesn't even run well either.

Hold back on RT until next gen.

I'll go out on a limb and maybe suggest an adaptive Ai integrated into games, that changes things like; enemy placement & tactics in reaction to your ongoing play style; or in an RPG it assesses all your enduring actions & behaviours and not only changes the reactions of NPCs but the actually quest lines and rewards.

I'd have to see that used well before I look forward to it.  You can build interlocking game mechanics to give varied experiences already and it's done in popular games but to use AI to replicate authored experiences seems beyond current tech, and I'm not even that sure I want it.  I do still want games to be a medium to say something rather than a unique quest dispenser.  In fact I want more thought and intention in game design.

I don't know what I even want from the new consoles.  Just good games I suppose.  But they don't do much unique over last gen other than more grunt and are very similar architecturally.  

I don't really need anything more from those systems than they're giving already, in graphical terms. 

I really need Nintendo to push for 4k/60. That's all I'm missing, really. Xenoblade 3 was a bugger on my eyeballs.

I'm going to be a bit pessimistic and say that I'm not sure what 'next gen' is this time. We'll know it when we see it I suppose, but that will likely mean better looking, bigger worlds. 

Despite being topical, the game that comes to mind isn't Starfield, which I won't bang on about because I've said my piece in the main thread, but just seems like an accumulation of ideas that have been done in the past. It's Cyberpunk. Maybe because we've seen it on the last generation, and what that meant, but the vertically of the world seems to be next gen, it feels busy even if it isn't really 

For the majority of genres, I'm not sure what we need. Loads of effects in an rpg could be cool, but then Persona will still be the rpg everyone talks about and there's every chance that could be of a standard that could run on a PS3. That magic based fps that's out soon feels like it might have been very blurry last generation, but then Battlemage exists so it's not like its a wholly original concept (ignoring Hexan obvs) 

Again I'm gonna remind everyone that if they have any questions whatsoever to inbox me as the official page hasn't updated in around a month so that's probably that... after a few obvious ones I'm gonna have to start plumbing their archives and you'll start getting questions on PS3/360 and E3 2016.😂

First off a big thank you to those who sent in questions... those will definitely be helpful when we don't get an update from the official source.

As it is Game Central actually updated this week and as we've just reached the halfway point of the year it's the obvious question that I was going to use in any case so.....

resident-evil-4-remake-002-4be0.jpeg

At the halfway point of the year, readers discuss their favourite new video games so far, from Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom to Dead Space.

2023 is all set to go down as a classic year for video games but for this weekend’s Inbox we wanted to know what your favourites are so far, even if there is one obvious pick that stands head and shoulders above the rest…

As you’d expect, Tears Of The Kingdom got by far the most number of mentions but there was also plenty of love for Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter 6, and other more obscure choices.

Tears of the Kingdom. Chiefly because, I'm at a loss which of my other games came out this year. As opposed to the ones bought this year. I might have mentioned Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp, which is still great to play. Were it not for the glaringly obvious presentation shortcuts.

The first time a (console) Zelda has been done right since Twilight Princess. It took the dull and uninspired template of BOTW and made it something more in-line with the series the name is supposed to represent. Not perfect, of course. They seem to have forgotten how to make compelling dungeons while gushing over how "great" open world is. The story too is missing a fair few important narrative flags for key side quests. But it kept me engaged right til the end. Which is something Skyward Sword and especially BOTW lacked.

The only 2023 game I've played this year is TotK and Hard-fi Rush and I like both of those games a lot.  They're gonna be tough to beat when I get around to other stuff.

But as good as this year will likely turn out being for really enjoyable and quality games I do wonder if we'll get any real trail blazers.  Hard-fi puts a unique element to a pretty familiar game in that DMC lineage (the trail blazer in this case) and TotK is very much built within the structure of BotW as much as I agree it's a better game I don't think it's as an exciting game.

And while I've yet to play RE4R it is such a microcosm of this too.  The original is very much a trail blazer but the remake, on top of being a remake, looks to very much be an iterative project that started with RE7.

I'm just wondering if we'll get a real game changer this year.  You'd hope so with the stage we are in this generation but I know games like that aren't common and maybe there is something low key tucked away that has been released this year.  There was a chance FFXVI could have been that game but I gather that hasn't hit the mark.

I dunno, this is what I've been thinking about when looking at the current crop of new games when deciding whether to get on board early.

We might have gotten some trailblazers if Sony had actually shown some commitment to VR, but they seem content to just have it be a Quest 2 and PCVR port machine. Think they haven't announced a single first party exclusive since Horizon if I'm right.

It's probably between TOTK and SF6 for me. Neither game re-inventing the wheel but a highly active and new fighting game where people are learning together is always lots of fun. I also think AC6 could be a surprise for lots of people, if it turns out that kind of action has wider appeal (and FROM seem to be trying to make sure that it will)

Agree with HD, hifi rush and zelda are the best games ive played so far this year and imo they are both really good. I think this year will be remembered as a good one, with these coming later and hopefully/most likely good - pikmin, mario wonder, dodonpachi doj port by m2. And some i havent tried yet due to cost, but look good - re4, star wars, and ff16. Edit - hope forza and starfield, Oh also samba on vr which i hope will be good

Metroid Prime Remastered, Advance Wars and Octopath Traveler II are the ones I enjoyed most so far. I should probably also mention Street Fighter 6 because it's very competently made and a good package all-around, it just wasn't what I was looking for in a fighting game and also came out at a time when my interest in the competitive side of things started waning.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play any of the big hitters from this year, but just looking at the release schedule I think Starfield might be one of those generation-defining titles. Unless it turns out to just be a mashup of Fallout and Starfox.

Starfield I'm really cautious about because I don't think I ever recovered from Fallout 4 and I didn't like Outer Worlds as much as I thought I would.  I think I'll try it, but my expectations aren't very high.  I've not been following it really either so maybe it will surprise me.