passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Yeah, TLoU 2 is probably the most mature use of sex I can think of in gaming... and about the only one that doest feel cringe as fuck. Even The Witcher 3 with its mature themes and whatnot feels like you should be sitting there giggling like an eight year old with its sex scenes....

Oh no, I'm getting flashbacks of sex in film/TV discourse that shows up every few months when a bunch of zoomers use progressive language to say how problematic it is when really they're just embarrassed because they're watching Euphoria with their parents.

Games, tho.  It's a harder sell because it's difficult to not look like two dolls rubbing against each other.  And I don't really buy the necessary argument because lots of things aren't technically necessary but have it because it's just fun and cool.  It's an old argument but it's all ways a fun thing to remember that "unnecessary" violence is used all the time with little acknowledgement but you have drop of sexual content and people on all sides have something to say about it.

That's not to say it's done well, it mostly isn't.  You'd think Quantic Dream would be better at being French about it instead of looking like the most awkward TV shows, but even more uncanny.

Also the more explicit stuff does tend to be heteronormative, obviously not TLoU2, but that is an exception.  I've seen the fan art and there is want for more boys kissing.

Overall, I think "unnecessary titillation" is fine, given that a proper context is given, it's weird when it comes out of nowhere.  Using it "maturely" is a good thing to do and does humanise characters and relationships but good luck trying to pull it off in a game.  And considering the large sprawling world's big games exist in they probably could afford to not shy away from being more queer, further than the nods and the winks (or worse, corny caricatures).  I think that's broadly where I'm at on the subject.

Edit:  I just remembered near the end of Wolfenstein 2 when your lady companions cloths get set on fire and she throws then off and guns down a load of Nazis with two machine guns with her pregnant belly, tits out and covered in blood.  Totally unnecessary but hilarious.

15 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

I just remembered near the end of Wolfenstein 2 when your lady companions cloths get set on fire and she throws then off and guns down a load of Nazis with two machine guns with her pregnant belly, tits out and covered in blood.  Totally unnecessary but hilarious.

That scene is absolutely fantastic!

Good shout on The Darkness too Sly, that was a really well done relationship. 

I can't even remember the TLOU2 scene. At the time I didn't think the scene in Fahrenheit was what bad, but you really don't need to give players control, same with paying respects and things like that, it stops feeling intimate and heartfelt if the game shoves controls back in your hands 

There's probably some well done stuff a bunch of us have played that just didn't leave a mark 

On the opposite side, I played Sex With Stalin where the game is to argue with Stalin about his philosophy and actions, which invariably ends with you fucking. Funny and needless 

Easily TLOUP2, the only sex scene in a game that hasn't made me roll my eyes, cringe or feel awkward watching/playing. The most realistic depiction of sex in a game hands down. 

Shout out to that scene in FFX with Yuna and Tidus as well, really beautiful as @radiofloyd has linked to.

download.jpeg

Nag says "Quick one this week, what one licensed track you'll hear on the radio makes you think of a game or gaming?"

Mine will always be this one... and it's surprising how many times it's played on stations I listen to.

^ reading this on a mobile (so couldn't see the full title of the youtube video) i assumed it was my favorite game as i associate that with GT, so guess that was on a different gt add or something - youtube comes up with this:

this is a pretty obvious one (crazy taxi/yayayayaya) but otherwise i can only think of stuff from rhythm games

Yeah I don't know if I'd hear it on the radio necessarily, but Offspring from Crazy Taxi is probably the stand out for me. I've listened to way more Bad Religion over the course of my life, so I think I know their stuff too well to associate it with the game 

My Favourite Game is Gran Turismo.

Galaxy Bounce is PGR.

Mad World is Gears.

Welcome to the Jungle is GTA San Andreas.

The Prayer is PGR.

1 Thing is Saints Row.

There's loads really. These are just from the top of my head.