passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Layoffs happening at Viacom/CBS

https://www.resetera.com/threads/viacom-cbs-layoffs-happening-now-and-in-the-coming-days.302747/

This is happening before the sale of CNET/Gamespot/Giantbomb, so they may get affected

Seems as if Gamespot is being hit hard right now because of this. My Twitter is getting busy with retweets of people I don’t know being made redundant.

Giant Bomb next?

That Amazon Studios game that was released and then pulled back to beta has been cancelled haha

Someone must have had the project plan upside down in the office. They worked backwards into the game not existing anymore. 

crazy. They must have been banking on it doing serious numbers that it was never going to. Seemed like something they could leverage with their streaming service, free if you subscribe to that. I think service games (I hate that I've typed that) could work on streaming services well, given that you're playing off servers already

It had some cool character designs but I didn't quite feel the gameplay loop from what I've seen. In that way it reminded me a bit or Paragons which I would have loved to play because it looked really nice but I just couldn't get into it (and that got cancelled as well).

Too bad for the developers, I don't envy anyone who sets out to (or is forced to) build a live service game.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

After 24 years the soundtrack to Quake gets a vinyl release:

https://www.pcgamer.com/nine-inch-nails-quake-soundtrack-gets-a-vinyl-release-after-twenty-four-years/

IIRC the original soundtrack was streamed from the CD ROM as you played, since the Nine Inch Nails didn't want their music converted to a digitised format.

I used to put the Saturn disc in my stereo and listen to it 

Yea I’ve been thinking of getting a Quest 2 but the whole link to Facebook thing really put me off. Finding that out as well as hearing about some people being permanently locked out of using their Quest due to their Facebook account being locked has just cemented the fact I’ll never get one. 

I really don’t get why you should need a active FB account to play games on the quest. Just really anti-customer. 

Facebook routinely ban accounts they suspect of being bots cause of their effort to combat disinformation or whatever, so if you do as I was planning and make a dummy account you'll always have that risk hanging over it.

Unless you just pirate everything

edit reading more of this it's absolutely insane, people getting their oculus bricked by the fact that they set up an account for the first time and don't have any activity on it. How could anyone want to buy one of these things when they are guarded by such a brittle authentication process

I have never had a FB account so there's no way I could reliably use this thing

There’s something called hp reverb G2 coming out, going to be expensive though I think, that’s the problem with the Facebook stuff (ridiculous banning etc.) the quest 2 looks like amazing value compared to anything else. The Facebook thing I believe is going to be mandatory within 2 years for any old oculus stuff too, so I’ll be trying to stick to buying games on steam.

Keep in mind Watch Dogs was supposed to come out earlier this year, so that's probably the one new game on that list where they didn't have to crunch themselves to almost-death. The delay probably left them with enough time to implement this whereas the other three were always planned for the end of the year (more or less – nobody knows what happened to Immortals) so they were probably focusing on getting the basics done.

As for the three multiplayer games, there are more benefits to having a higher framerate on Rainbox Six or For Honor than having raytracing I think.