passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

I saw someone play some of the older games that started on GoW'18 and they were more receptive to it than I expected because I guess when you go in knowing it's a time Kratos has a lot of shame for it gave the events of the original trilogy a different context.  It's interesting how well it works.

The OG is a fun bit of pulpy dark fantasy you don't see quite done like this so it has some value, you just gotta brace for the times it gets so edgy it shits itself.

"Legend of Grimrock" was one of those games I always fancied when it came out - but my PC by then wasn't up to it - so I'll definitely check this out on Switch (or maybe just get it on Steam for a couple of quid as I'm sure my missus' laptop will run it, and guess it'll be >£15 on NS).

Annouced a while back but didn't seen any mention of it here, Top Racer Collection, coming out on just about everything.

SNES titles Top Gear, Top Gear 2 and Top Gear 3000, i just found out these games are connected to the Lotus games from the Amiga/ST days, Gremlin graphics, good times.

Not really a home computer worth reviving IMHO, should have at least gone for the 800 instead.

32 minutes ago, spatular said:

Yeah not even heard of that before.

Came out back end of the 70s - predating the ZX80/81/Spectrum.

1 hour ago, shinymcshine said:

Not really a home computer worth reviving IMHO, should have at least gone for the 800 instead.

Came out back end of the 70s - predating the ZX80/81/Spectrum.

I read somewhere that this will run the 800 range of games aswell as the XEGS system too, 

This video explains the system in detail, and showcases some games from the machine.

Gamers have to get ‘comfortable with not owning your game’ says Ubisoft

Just hours after GAME was said to be dropping video game trade-ins, Ubisoft has insisted that gamers shouldn’t be afraid of going digital.

It might have been upsetting to learn that GAME is reportedly set to stop in-store trade-ins, and the sale of second-hand games, but it wasn’t much of a surprise, given how every year digital sales take over more and more from physical.

Despite the fact that owning a physical copy has many benefits over digital, the minor convenience of not having to use discs has been enough to slowly turn gamers towards digital – but that’s been too slow for publishers like Ubisoft.

By coincidence, on the same day that the GAME news was rumoured, an interview with the exec in charge of Ubisoft+ saw him state that, ‘One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That’s the consumer shift that needs to happen.’

‘They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection. That’s a transformation that’s been a bit slower to happen [in games],’ added Philippe Tremblay, Ubisoft’s director of subscriptions.

That’s not the sort of thing most gamers want to hear at the moment, but as his job title suggests, Tremblay wasn’t really talking about one-off digital purchases but subscription services and streaming.

‘You don’t lose your progress. If you resume your game at another time, your progress file is still there. That’s not been deleted. You don’t lose what you’ve built in the game or your engagement with the game. So it’s about feeling comfortable with not owning your game,’ he told GamesIndustry.biz.

‘Streaming is also a thing that works really well with subscription. So you pay when you need it, as opposed to paying all the time,’ he added.

Tremblay was attempting to promote a rebranding of subscription service Ubisoft+, as Ubisoft+ Premium, which will be available on Xbox, PC, and Amazon Luna for £14.99 and not only grants access to a back catalogue of older titles but every new Ubisoft from day one – just like Game Pass.

A cheaper subscription is also available called Ubisoft+ Classics, which gives you access only to the older titles (although there are over 50 of them), for £6.99 a month.

So, Ubisoft isn’t arguing that you shouldn’t worry about not really owning your game when you buy digitally but that not even having the semblance of ownership is fine, if you just sign up to a subscription service.

However, just as gamers have been slow to go digital-only, compared to music and movies, subscription services have yet to catch on in the way many companies imagined, with data suggesting take-up may already have plateaued for both Game Pass and PS Plus.

I've gotten less comfortable with not owning my movies, because that selection is chosen at a whim by the rights holders and their availability and quality is never promised. Macroblocking with dark scenes on Netflix make my OLED seem wasted, and each new revision to their payment options seems to increase the price for not having adverts completely disrupt your viewing. It also tends to be limited to a certain selection of what's popular, meaning stuff that's new or only the most recognizable old classics, so it's very hard to discover something within their 'content' libraries cause its so optimised to be familiar to what you already know, which isn't great from a preservation point of view. Unless it's like, criterion channel or something like that. But even then, your access is never totally promised. Even with CC it's something I'm finding myself less willing to reward with a sub (also I can only access it on a web browser, which is its own problem). Also if you buy stuff digitally with movies, it's very flakey how likely you'll still be allowed to have it if you move country due to how fragmented the distribution rights are, even between just the UK and Ireland.

https://www.ign.com/articles/hollywood-keeps-reminding-us-why-we-need-physical-media-more-than-ever

I'm very comfortable with not owning any Ubisoft games anymore though, albeit the new PoP looks like the first original and interesting title they've made in years. In general I've no interest in subscription services for games, unless it's a live service game (and even then the only one I've got into like that is FFXIV). I'm even ok with microtransactions to a point, but if stuff gets more and more tied into subscriptions then it starts to feel like a ransom that you pay to access your favorite stuff and again you might just randomly lose access to stuff as rights expire. ymmv how you feel about all that, but imo I'm not much into it

I understand the arguments in favor of things like gamepass, but it's very much a double edged sword if it becomes a primary method like Ubisoft are hoping will be the outcome here (by the way they word it). It's better as something supplemental, as it currently is

*I will say that iTunes has a nice balance of streaming quality and prices for their stuff. Might be my 'favorite' of the streaming options out there currently

46 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

will say that iTunes has a nice balance of streaming quality and prices for their stuff. Might be my 'favorite' of the streaming options out there currently

That’s where I get almost all my films these days. I have gone digital with films just because of the space but also because whenever the next new thing comes out it makes my previous collection useless - I had 100’s of DVD’s - worth pennies now and look fucking terrible on my TV. Blu Rays - same thing but only owned dozens of those. 
4k Blu Ray - I own a few of my favourites on this but mostly they’re too expensive and I’m fed up of buying the same things over and over. 

I will say Apple are known to remove stuff from their service as well though. So I back a lot up just in case - you’re allowed to download them & watch that way. But if they remove it you can’t stream them anymore even if you’ve paid for them. It’s fucking bullshit. Luckily most of the films they’ve done this with are the more unknown I’m not interested in but I still back up just in case. 

I think I jumped the gun on that comment, as reading about it elsewhere he also underlines that they still plan on offering purchases alongside streaming, which is fine. Wasn't in Och's original quote

That said still feel the same way WRT other digital media, where streaming exclusivity is a thing (like that new David Fincher film, may or may not get a physical release. There's an unfinished Orson Welles film on Netflix too that would be awesome to have physically)

I think regular blu ray still look really good tbh. Would go as far to say that they're the best option out there in terms of cost:quality ratio, and they are resilient to scratching. With James Cameron films, they are actually the better option as he does weird things when restoring in 4k with AI upscaling.

If Ubi disappeared tomorrow pretty much nothing of value would be lost. They've been pretty much creatively bankrupt for running up to a decade maybe, and their constant drive for MTX have only exacerbated that.

You have no idea how much I would enjoy watching them, or any of the other big three fold. Not one of them have been a force for good.

Might as well add 2k to that pile as well, they're fucking awful too.