passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a Gaming PC

radiofloyd

A lot of the stuttering I had in ffvii remake was cause it was asking for way too much vram, so it is a thing (tho that game is kinda fucked in general)

At 1440 it would probably be less of an issue. It's definitely a bit starved at 4k but in a lot of modern games you're punching out your weight class going for 4k on 3070, tho quite a few work well enough

edit zotac is recommending only unplugging the gpu when necessary, as their power adapter has 'up to 30 connection cycles', whatever that means

https://videocardz.com/newz/zotac-rtx-4090s-pcie-gen5-power-cable-adapter-service-life-is-up-to-30-connection-cycles

Now i want a youtuber to plug/unplug their card over and over to see what happens lol

Here is df's video on dlss 3 and rtx

I mentioned somewhere before not really liking how DLSS 2 looks in certain games, it makes some visuals look a bit soft and adds halo-ing and weird artifacts. Not everyone is bothered by stuff like that but it annoys me quite a bit tbh. 

dlss 3 is doing this 'ai interpolation' thing where it parses the info from frame x and frame x+1 and inserts one between them. However it seems to also bring more of this kind of thing

nrE4llh.png

See how spidey is covered in a kind of film and the reflection in the window appears strange, so the image quality takes a hit. Of course this is just one frame and it cleans up instantly but still. Obviously the technology is cool in a lot of other ways but personally this is not really an acceptable compromise for '4x/5x better performance', if games become really weird looking. I just can't really buy into the bs nvidia are saying about these, you have to totally buy into this technology to go along with the idea that these cards are these stratospheric leap in power, because all their performance benchmarks are just reflecting dlss 3 numbers which seems really dishonest to me. Literally fake frames lol

I guess this technology will only improve over time though and these issues will go away at some point. If I had one of these tho I'd be using dlss 2 I think, if at all.

• 3 weeks later...

The 4090 reviews are out (maybe a few days ago), crazy performance! But also crazy size, power usage, and cost! I sort of like reading about this stuff but never going to get something like that.

edit - i hadnt seen much about dlss3, the review i saw didnt use it, still about 60 to 70% better than the previous best card iirc, but yeah nowhere near 300% or whatever  if those were values they were saying for dlss3

It looks incredible and also highly undesirable cause of the cost and size of it. I saw someone say that their 9900k can't keep up with it, with the dearth of games out there that really need it it's hard to justify. It basically requires a whole new PC to keep up 

Nvidia had admitted they were being sneaky fucks with how they labelled the 4080 12GB card

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/12gb-4080-unlaunch/

Basically, the power differential between it and the 4080 16GB is like the difference between a 3080 and 3070, it's not just the VRAM size that's different. It's a whole power tier

Wonder why they don't just call it a 4070 tho rather than unlaunch it

I was looking at 4090 PC’s this morning and their £4.5k 😖

I’ll probably get one next year because 1) Hopefully a bit cheaper 2) I’m not planning on spending as much next year as the crazy shit that’s happened this year so I can afford one big, stupid purchase and 3) it sounds like even the best CPU’s right now can’t keep up with this thing. I think that’s about to change soon? 

But I can’t help it, I do really want one so I think next year will be the year. 

The whole point in owning a PC isn't to replace the whole thing outright in a single year.

additionally it's a really good idea to just learn how the different components co-operate each other before even considering paying a stupid amount of money like that, wrt whether a cpu is holding something back or not. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever to go into things that blindly. it's so much money 🤷‍♂️

Need it? No. Want it?

I know it’s not what you want but DF talking about how 4090 is kind of fucked up because it pushes the FPS so high in some cases it makes games worse lol. Sounds like you kind of have to turn any DLSS support off to try keep a lid on the 4090. Otherwise it’s got all that power + DLSS3 is trying to create even more frames and it’s just blowing the doors off some games (their example is Plague Tale 2 where it fucks up input lag)

Well in More affordable PC news I finally got an upgrade for the PC I built about 10 years ago!

Taken out the old Radeon 7800 (yes they have nearaly done a full loop on the numbering convention by now.).

and replaced it with a GTX970 - Total cost £0 (freind was upgrading)

Totally transformed the PC, while its by no means a modern powerhouse, it can play most modern games on Mid to upper mid settings on a 1080P monitor.

So more than happy with this. 🙂