passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario Kart 8

radiofloyd

Lord Bought Mario A Mercedes-Benz

In a surprising piece of product placement, Nintendo has teamed up with Mercedes to offer a free DLC car in Mario Kart 8.

The in-game vehicle, a Mercedes GLA, will be freely available to download in Japan this summer.

When asked whether the DLC would arrive in Europe, Nintendo UK sounded positive.

"The announcement this time was made by Mercedes-Benz Japan regarding their collaboration in Japan with NCL," a spokesperson told Eurogamer.

"As for the information relating to the distribution of the GLA kart for MK8 outside Japan, we will be able to announce in the near future."

The deal also sees Mario appear in a new live-action Mercedes advert, Famitsu revealed (thanks, NeoGAF).

Mercedes' website for the promotion features classic NES Super Mario Bros. visuals, with Mario in a Mercedes squashing Goombas.

The upcoming DLC isn't the first time that Nintendo has featured other brands in its first-party games - Pikmin 2 was full of liscensed items for players to find, while Wave Race 64 featured Kawasaki jet skis.

But the inclusion is a bit more blatant than most of these deals - and may stem from Nintendo's recent decision to license out its character IP to a greater extent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkgJZGspCM

The advert made me chuckle at the end but I'm not gonna pretend I'm okay with advertising in my Mario Kart. I just don't like this kinda stuff.

Surely they need a Delorean in MK8... fits the physics a little better?

I don't really mind this, if it helps them pay for people to make games for us, bring it (just don't bring it too much...)

I don't see a problem with it personally.

Really?

mkmb.jpg

I think it's totally different to Forza doing deals like this. Does that not make your blood run a little cold?

A bit of me just died inside, after seeing that. I think it was the same part that dies a little bit each time one of my childhood hero's end up getting lanced by Yewtree.

Ha, I'll own up, I hadn't seen it before posting, yeah it does look silly, but isn't it free bonus content? It's not like you have to download it is it?

edit - ok, i think you guys win, the more i see it the more i don't like it, but i still think the idea of it is ok, if that even makes any sense.

edit 2 - the add is pretty awesome.

• 7 years later...

150 DLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The bad news is you won't be seeing Mario Kart 9 until at least 2024 but the good news is WHO FUCKING NEEDS IT LOOK AT THIS SHIT

48 courses? How many millions did this game have to sell before Nintendo were like "Maybe we should make more content for the game" 

Holy shit

Nintendo has finally remembered that making Mario Kart DLC is a thing it can do and a thing we (or I, at least) would very much like; to that end, it will be bringing a whopping 48 new courses to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as paid DLC, starting on 18th March.

These 48 courses will be pulled from all across the Mario Kart series, with each track being remastered to imbue it with some of that glorious Mario Kart 8 polish - and if Nintendo's previous Mario Kart DLC efforts are any indication, these will be some glorious things indeed.

Don't expect to get all 48 tracks at once, however; Nintendo will be releasing eight courses at a time across six waves, starting on 18th March and continuing up to some point before the end of 2023. The initial wave will include the likes of Coconut Mall from Mario Kart Wii, Choco Mountain from Mario 64, and Tokyo Blur from Mario Kart Tour.

To access these newly refreshed tracks, players will need the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass, which can be acquired in one of two ways. It can either be purchased for £22.49/$24.99 USD using human money or will be included as part of Nintendo's premium tier Switch Online offering, Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack.

So if you sign up to the higher tier subscription you get all the DLC for no extra cost??!! Probably cheaper to buy it as a pack if not using Nintendo Online but I do just enough that it’s worth it to me to keep the sub.

Also quick calc makes it seem like each new pack will drop every 3.5 months. That’s not too bad! 

This was probably the biggest announcement for me. Sure it means Mario Kart 9 is not happening but this is all I really want anyway. It’s not like they could improve upon perfection in any case.

I. Love. Mario Kart 8. This game is the best.