passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Uncle Dokuro

9 hours ago, Maf said:

Although at least now the Switch has the rare boast of if you don’t care about specs but you love open world, high fantasy games then you can play Zelda, Skyrim and now the Witcher 3. Probably the holy trinity of this type of game in the last 10 years.

Granted, I don’t know who that person is but it is a thing

Especially if they end up with a Switch Lite and only experience those games on a 5.5" screen.

Bit like watching Avatar on your phone.

I really wonder how devs will react to the Switch Lite and whether they'll optimise games for that or the regular NS, when it comes to on screen icons and gaming visuals etc  ?

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

it has ray traced Global Illumination and AO on pc, plus FSR and DLSS. There's also Ultra+ settings, it doesn't sound like a global preset, more that a number of settings are getting an additional setting

PS5 and Series X are getting RT GI too, Series S isn't but it is getting 60fps. PS5 is getting adaptive triggers too

• 3 weeks later...

Next gen update is not good by this account:

"Sadly, though, it’s impossible to recommend the game in its current state. Despite the renewed beauty there are just too many annoying little problems. The update is free, if you already own a last gen version, so all you need to do is wait until it’s all fixed, but as the first major release since Cyberpunk 2077 this is a colossal failure, of the sort you’d think CD Projekt would do anything to avoid."

Sounds like it's something they'll patch up over time, and not so bad if you're fine to hang on for a free update, but less forgivable if you pay full price for it 

Gamecentral Review (PS5)

Weirdly though, there's lots of other reviews that make no mention of the technical drawbacks & hardcrashes, and just praise the improvements (which are mentioned by GC too) - so quite what's going on - who knows?

I read a polygon review which was really positive, but then said they played the whole thing in performance mode on ps5 (which afaik, is just the old version in 4k 60fps without the new RT effects) and only briefly tried quality mode to say it has lots of weird stutter and cutscene issues

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/23505326/the-witcher-3-next-gen-upgrade-review-ps5-xbox-series-x-pc

That's the only thing like that I read tho

Apparently it also has a bunch of mods installed by default now, even on the console version. Maybe there's some weird interactions with that stuff

I'm planning to start playing the game tonight so I can have a few hours with it in its original state, then upgrade asap.

I'll always choose performance over graphics anyway so I'm not expecting miracles, although the game was always good looking anyway.

For me it's just an excuse for replay. From what I've seen it looks a bit overly colourful, but I suppose I can adjust that myself.