passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

TV Shows

Jimboxy

I'm caught up on Barry season 4, I don't think I like it much tbh. The first 2 had such a good balance of comedy and dark shit, and they went in a really surprising direction in 3. But I think it's just run out of runway with 4, I dunno maybe it's just me. Online reviews are great. But I'm disappointed.

edit there's another episode out today, I've not seen that one yet.

43 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I'm caught up on Barry season 4, I don't think I like it much tbh. The first 2 had such a good balance of comedy and dark shit, and they went in a really surprising direction in 3. But I think it's just run out of runway with 4, I dunno maybe it's just me. Online reviews are great. But I'm disappointed.

edit there's another episode out today, I've not seen that one yet.

How many before the series is wrapped up? Is this the final series?

1 minute ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Next week is the finale of the entire show. No S5

It's 8 all together I think. Episode 7 is the one today.

I'll watch them all once that drops then, or will probably start now as it'll take me a week to watch the series anyway

Barry's over and man, I can't quite recall a more disappointing final season for me personally. Perhaps Lost, or Dexter season 8 (which was far worse, unwatchable, while Barry at least always remains stylistically interesting)

Such a bummer. Everything teed up so brilliantly by the past seasons, then blah

Succession's ending is good tho a bit low key. Which works for the show it is. It's not a Six Feet Under megaton of an ending though, then again what is.

• 3 weeks later...

Always Sunny has started again. Ep1 was fun but not feeling 2 and 3. I do feel like it’s diminishing returns now. But maybe I just wasn’t in the mood. 

I have Charlie Days tanked financially and critically directorial and starring in debut Fools Paradise to watch. More out of curiosity than excitement now unfortunately. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Inbetween (Disney+)

Australia black comedy about Ray a local 'fixer' and the various trials and tribulations of his line of work.

Ray feels a little bit like a low budget version of Mike from Breaking Bad but it's a good watchable series, 26 x30 min episodes - although there's still a lingering question about what he does with all the money he earns...

Recommended.

BEEF 

Highly recommended, hooked throughout. The last episode almost completed ruins it though, it goes off the rails and the end is terrible. If they’d have stopped at episode 9 and left some of it to our own decisions (which I usually hate but would have been good here) it would have been so much better. 

Because of all the chat about it recently we've started going through Black Mirror on Netflix, think we'd only seen three or four episodes (those that were on Channel 4 years ago)... we've just finished season 3 and so far there hasn't been a bad episode amongst them, great stuff.

I've been watching Hannibal. It's really gross, and I don't currently see where the 'best show ever' type acclaim comes from. But meh, it's quite good and an interesting spin on these characters. Tho not without its problems. I'm not a big fan of where they take Will Graham so far

Maads is very disarming in his take on Lecter, a departure from the more theatrical Hopkins one people are more familiar with. He's very manipulative. He's sort of the protagonist after a bit, and the whole show seems framed to make you like him, and then feel a bit disgusted with yourself for feeling that way. 

I mean it has to be said, his dinner parties look quite splendid. Even tho it's all human kidneys and livers and stuff 😱

---

Succession and Last of Us sweeping the nominations for Emmys

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/2023-emmy-nominations-list-1235666521/

My money's on Culkin for best male lead and Bella for best female lead. Tho I've not seen a lot of the other stuff so just going with what I know

Also Barry season 4 should not be getting comedy nominations lol

Watched season 1 of The Bear, season 2 just came out the other day. You've probably heard of it as it's very hyped, but it's this gritty and very realist (at least, from my uninformed perspective) portrayal of working in a restaurant. This michelin-star level chef inherits his brother's struggling sandwich shop after his demise, along with tons of debt to mobsters and a sense of obligation to do something about it. Tries to fix the culture a bit, lots of shouting and friction but also some wholesomeness

I think it's quite good and I found myself rewinding some scenes to listen to how characters explain how to make this weird type of plum sauce, and the representation of cooking is really interesting. The actual storylines and character/family/community dynamics can also be interesting but at times it's not fully coherent the why's and the whats of what's happening. The implications of its ending seemed a bit out of left field, and left me unsatisfied. 

I think it's good and I recommend it highly but I wouldn't be giving it the 5/5 reviews I've seen. But it's much better than Hannibal, which I got bored of cause it kinda was just meandering with no point from what I'd seen so far (8 eps of season 1).

1 hour ago, spatular said:

^ that sounds interesting but i saw some spoilers for it so not sure if ill watch it now, but having seen spoilers i wish i had watched it withough knowing about it if that makes any sense.

It's worth watching anyway still