passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Tbh I played stuff like FFX and IX but even against them Lost Odyssey stands out as particularly slow paced in my memory due to its very slow turn based combat, loading as mentioned and how frequent the random encounters were. You would take a couple steps forward and get thrown into a 15 second load screen, with maybe 4 or 5 seconds on the main map. It stands out in my memory as a particularly poor user experience and it's not going to age well because of it. Obviously encounter rate is different depending on where you are but it ramps up especially in the optional DLC dungeon.

But it is something where I'm retroactively happy that Bioware looked at the elevator load masking in ME1 and decided not to do it in ME2, even if at the time it was a nice trick. On PC there's a few games like that where you go back to them and the loading is so fast now that a split second fade to black is all you get. Lots of games like this do a good job at taking future scalability into account, I guess you're right in that they only ever expected this game to be on a xbox 360 but future scalability is a concern a lot of games handle pretty well even back then.

Although tbf I remember now that I played the entire game on disc on a 360 that had that awesome failing disc drive problem, so my situation was prob a lot worse than most lol

The doubling framerate thing can be iffy sometimes, I tried a 120fps unlock in Skyrim once and it just makes your character extremely slow and unable to jump. Game engines are weird when they account for framerate in their logic. I had to go in config files to adjust multipliers to fix the physics but at that point it began to feel like work

You’d think they’d start with a couple of bangers though to get that initial interest and hype. Ah well, hope this turns into a regular thing where a few games get updated at least every month if not more often. That’d be great. 

3 hours ago, mfnick said:

Pretty shit selection though 

New Super Lucky's Tale is actually really solid and a lot better than the original version.

It always baffled me a bit that it was running at 30fps on standard Xbox One though, it's not really a looker and the levels are rather small.

2 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

not that many people will have 120hz tvs I guess, might as well go with stuff that's relatively easy to do, then build it up if there's interest

I’m meant more for the ones jumping from 30-60 really. 

120hz will be very niche for a long time. My Tv can do it but to be honest when I’ve tried it I don’t think the difference is that noticeable and certainly not worth the graphics hit required on new games. The 30-60 difference I’ve always said is a big deal though. 120hz, not so much. Nice bonus if it’s available on old games which don’t require any downgrade in graphics to hit it though. 

120hz is really hard to notice in games, but after a while the difference is something I began to appreciate. But it's emphasized more in games with fast camera movement or keyboard and mouse control. Or games which are very visually busy like a MMO. 

My monitor goes up to 165 and it's pure diminishing returns after a point. But at least you get that image performance boost when doing work as well and messing around in text editors, web browsers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I mean that's cool and all but can I use it to watch Sephiroth ERP with Spongebob in VR chat?

Seems they are promoting this for virtual meetings a lot, like MS teams in VR. Weirdly dystopian but also I mean maybe if this tech got affordable one day it would really be a boost for WFH

• 2 weeks later...