passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

16 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

But yeah, you can get 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate for £82 ordinarily

How would you go about doing that? Mine runs out at the end of August I think, and I know there's some hacks you can do to get it cheap.

6 minutes ago, bellow said:

How would you go about doing that? Mine runs out at the end of August I think, and I know there's some hacks you can do to get it cheap.

You have to be a new Game Pass Ultimate member I think then you can get up to 3 years worth of XBL Gold 12 month cards at £40 each, apply them to your account, after you click 'upgrade to Ultimate for £1' on the Xbox website or on your Xbox and voila, 1, 2 or 3 years for £41, £82 or £123 instead of the usual prices. 

I learnt this from the XBL price guru @retroed and got some tips off reddit. From my understanding it's best to let your sub lapse at the end of August then renew it as a new member but you'll have to pay £10.99 for the GP Ultimate upgrade instead of the £1 from what I understand (as you've recently been a GPU member). So add another £10 on to the prices above roughly. 

So now I've had a good couple of weeks with it, using it more or less every day I feel like I can give some proper impressions on the Series X. 

First off, I picked Game Pass Ultimate for £41 using the XBL Gold (as I've stated previously) which is insane value for the amount of Indies, 1P and 3P games available on there, not to mention the games that are coming out the rest of this year for the service it really is 'the best value in gaming'™ which sounds like a marketing line (because it probably is?). But it is kind of true? PS Now I don't have any experience of beyond knowing it exists so I can't compare it to that. But yeah, since I last had Game Pass just over a year ago there seems to be a lot more stuff in the library I'm interested in and more stuff coming out in the next few months that excites me. 

Game Pass really is the XSX's USP, without it I'm not sure it would have an awful lot going for it but with it it's a complete gamechanger. As many of you know I'm the kind of gamer that primarily plays one single player title, completes it then moves on to the next but with Game Pass this time around I wanted to push myself to get more out of it, to try to take advantage of the freedom GP gives you in terms of genre depth and the variety of experiences on offer. So with that I've just downloaded a few titles so I don't get overwhelmed, played them every now and then, rotating or letting one go a few days or even a week without being played before going back to it and putting in a few more hours. Mixing MP experiences like FIFA online with an Indie gem like Ori 2 to a racing game like Dirt 5 then a 1P 'showpiece' like The Medium. 

I've said in the past that GP wasn't for me because it just gave me choice anxiety and that is still true, I'm still thinking 'ooo I could be playing this' when I'm playing something completely different, but I think I just have to try and switch that part of my brain off, get immersed into the game I'm playing then if I want to take a break from it and play something else that's fine too. It's a completely different way of playing and thinking about games and I'm still getting my head around it, I don't need to complete everything I play, I don't care about achievements or beefing up my gamerscore, so if I get 30 minutes into something and think 'this sucks' then I can drop it, delete it off the SSD and move on without worrying. It's just nice to experiment with all types of genres without the pressure of having to finish something.

In terms of graphical capability, I don't think much has really been a test for it at the moment with what I've played but The Medium has probably pushed it the most with the instant reality shifts and dual realities, I did get a little bit of graphical artifacting here (which was odd) but it seems a bit of an issue with a select few titles so I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

My thoughts on the UI and menu experience are well known. Xbox has taken a 'if it ain't broke...' approach here, which works well in that the UI and menus have a fully fleshed out feel to them with loads of features the PS5 is lacking but it lacks that next gen special sauce that the PS5 has. I will say though, the more I use my XSX, the more I get used to the dashboard and it's intricacies, I don't think I'll ever get to loving it but I'm definitely getting on with it alright at the moment, unlike my XB1S it is super snappy and responsive thanks to the SSD which helps as well. I think it could do with some tutorials as I still don't know what everything does, stuff like Quick Resume as well I'm never quite sure whether it's engaged or not when I switch from one game to another. 

It is deathly silent as well. My PS5 has a very slight fan noise to it but the XSX seems completely silent, I cannot hear it at all, but then I haven't put a disc in it yet whereas my PS5 gaming has largely been disc-based, so I can't do a like for like comparison. 

As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's quietly impressive and grows on you compared to the wow factor of the PS5. When I compared it to a Toyota previously that wasn't a slight, it was a compliment (I love Toyota's), it feels unfazed by pretty much every game I've thrown at it so far and is built like a brick shithouse. It just feels very well put together in terms of software and hardware, it's a great marriage of the two (even if the UI still feels too convoluted for me). 

Game Pass can carry it a long way as it truly is a fantastic service, but it is a little bit of a crutch for it at the moment, when truly fantastic next-gen games start dropping it could really start to take off as long as the software is of a very high standard comparable with it's competition. Even then £41 a year for 100s of games and new 1P exclusives is pretty damn bonkers.

So yeah, overall I really like it, I'm still in the honeymoon phase at the moment so that may change, but I'm more impressed with it than I thought I'd be. I already like it a hell of a lot more than I did my XB1S and OG launch XB1.                                                   

23 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

stuff like Quick Resume as well I'm never quite sure whether it's engaged or not when I switch from one game to another.

For as much as this feature gets lauded about I've never actually used it... pretty certain now if you hit the guide button while in game it'll tell you on the right side of the screen which features are available, auto HDR, FPS boost and Quick Resume.

Think they also go in to their own group too.

11 hours ago, Nag said:

I was gonna ask this the other day when @DisturbedSwan first wrote it but completely forgot... if PS5 is like a performance car and Series X is like a sturdy, dependable Toyota, what does that make the Switch?🤔

I think @Maryokutai has nailed it with a folding bike. If it has to be a car I'd say the Switch is something akin to a Smart Car. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------