passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Books

pickled

Mev DİNÇ - Life Is A Game

Veteran game developer Mev talks through his long career, starting from childhood in Turkey to marrying a British woman and settling here in the late 1970s. And then a work colleague introduces him to the ZX81... With games including Enduro Racer, First Samurai and Street Racer on his CV, Mev returned to his native Turkey with his second wife and helped establish the Turkish games industry with Sobee Studios. And after selling the studio he continued to move, living in Barcelona (with many real estate woes) and London as he wrote the book of his life story...

While I would have liked some more technical detail in places, it’s a compelling read thanks to its byte-sized topic sections (rather than long chapters).

Check out www.fusionretrobooks.com right now for a discount.

• 3 months later...

I bought a book recently that I’m around 1/3 through that’s about about the author and what they’ve changed their mind about, why and personal experiences of being wrong and having had their mind changed.

He writes candidly about the stiff upper lip attitudes and toxic masculinity that coloured his childhood, and the therapy and personal growth that have led him question his assumptions and explore new perspectives. Laying open his personal views on everything from racial prejudice to emotional vulnerability, from fat-shaming to tattoos, he then delves into the real reasons -- often irrational or unconscious -- he holds them.

penguin books

36F2A530-D63B-4547-8E1A-C2BD5A3067D9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up to Kindle Unlimited via a promotion where it's 99p for 3 months because a series of books I was considering buying were on there, so I thought I'd give it a go rather than pay £4/£5 a pop.

I've since had a look at what else is on there and as a subscription service it's rubbish. Hardly any of the major publishers are on it, mostly just Amazon exclusives, self published titles and a handful of independent publishers. Most books I want to read I'd still have to pay for. It definitely isn't worth £7.99 a month.

• 5 weeks later...

Ulysses is 100 years old (non paygated FT link)

https://archive.is/wlqlP

I made a decent attempt at this right around the time all the Joyce stuff hit the public domain, I think 2012? Got halfway through it. I think I got thwarted by some weird bit where it turns into Shakespeare but in a pub. Might be getting the details a bit screwed up there

The thing with Joyce, it's all very intimidating sounding and impenetrable but you don't really have to understand it all. You don't need to be an academic, even if it's full of all these allusions that you might miss. The writing by itself is very lyrical. There's other options too, like these excellent podcast series

https://blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2020/0610/1146705-listen-ulysses-james-joyce-podcast/

• 7 months later...

Kindle Scribe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09BS5XWNS/ref=gw_uk_desk_sc_eink_bar_oak22?pf_rd_r=247Y8V85PC1XZ68Y7A9W&pf_rd_p=9b4cebd4-10e6-4d91-8352-9901f5626a12&pd_rd_r=78e51052-acc2-44d6-901c-f98be1ae87e4&pd_rd_w=Bb8X9&pd_rd_wg=umyb8&ref_=pd_gw_unk

711LtnL99RL._AC_SX679_.jpg

A tablet sized e reader you can write and draw on. Immediately my mind goes to manga, where I found the paperwhite woefully inadequate for reading manga with any detail (jojo was illegible) this looks like it would fix that and be a better option than taking up tons of shelf space with 100 volumes of one piece or whatever

For general reading though? I'm not sure, seems a bit big and annoying. A very niche purchase, but one I'm considering. Manga just takes up way too much space for how little reading is in them

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while...

books.jpg

But I've actually read a couple books lately. The latter, The Hellbound Heart, due to the upcoming new film adaptation. The former, Well, This is Tense, a horror anthology I randomly picked up. Ironically, not Halloween related. I just happened to finish both in October. 

As with most anthology books, not every story within is a winner. Some, I simply didn't get the premise/context. One in particular, basically describing the last couple days of a prisoner on death row. I wouldn't really equate to horror at all?

From the collection, three standout from the rest - Doppelganger, Itch and Seeds. I'd recommend those at least. 7/10

Hellraiser: the novel. I've not read in many years. Still just as engaging and fun a read as ever. Shorter than I remember though? Funny that in contrast to the Movies. Not only is Pinhead not named*. But also isn't even the main Cenobite of the story. That goes to The Engineer. Who it's implied is basically their leader. I think Clive Barker made additional novels on the Cenobites (aka The Order of the Gash, seriously). Which I will likely track down at some point. As I did enjoy this one. 9/10

For those that you've heard online decrying a female Pinhead in the latest adaptation. Here is the only line of description given to the character in the book:

"Do you understand?" the figure beside the first speaker demanded. Its voice, unlike that of its companion, was light and breathy- the voice of an excited girl. Every inch of its head had been tattooed with an intricate grid, and at every intersection of vertical and horizontal axes a jewelled pin driven through to the bone. Its tongue was similarly decorated.

That's Pinhead, folks.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Best Horror Books of All Time

• The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker
  • House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
  • The Shining by Stephen King
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • It by Stephen King
  • The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
  • Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
  • Ghost Story by Peter Straub
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
  • The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
  • Rosemary’s Baby by Ira Levin
  • Hell House by Richard Matheson
  • Ring by Koji Suzuki
  • The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
  • Bird Box by Josh Malerman
  • The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
  • A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul G. Tremblay
  • I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
  • Pet Sematary by Stephen King
  • World War Z by Max Brooks
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison
  • Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
  • Coraline by Neil Gaiman
  • NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
  • Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons
  • Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu
  • Carrie by Stephen King
  • The Other by Tom Tryon
  • Come Closer by Sara Gran
  • Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill
  • Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler
  • The Stand by Stephen King
  • At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft
  • Zone One by Colson Whitehead
  • Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
  • Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Salem’s Lot by Stephen King
  • The Bad Seed by Maxwell Anderson

I've only read 15/39. Some I've never heard of, such as the Haunting of Hill House. So it might be an idea to check those out.

So I'm about quarter of the way through Silmarillion and ..wow. I don't remember Hobbit or LOTR being so densely packed with new terminology on every other page? Certain people and places are being given three names in quick succession in the same paragraph!? No wonder this one hasn't been properly adapted onscreen before...

I have only read 8 of those horror books, and to me some of them aren’t the most horrific by that author.

Just finished Harry Hill’s autobiography Fight! 30 years not quite at the top. Great fun if you are a fan, and also very interesting for those into comedy generally.

Now starting Once Upon Atari by Howard Scott Warshaw (the guy who wrote ET for Atari 2600).

23 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

I'll have to check out Howard's book - I enjoyed the articles he use to have in the GamesTM retro section.

He’s also been contributing to Wireframe (which is sadly no longer going to be in print)

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2023 at 19:33, OCH said:

So I'm about quarter of the way through Silmarillion and ..wow. I don't remember Hobbit or LOTR being so densely packed with new terminology on every other page? Certain people and places are being given three names in quick succession in the same paragraph!? No wonder this one hasn't been properly adapted onscreen before...

So I'm struggling with this. I don't understand why the writing style of this so overly verbose in comparison to the earlier (and easier to read) Hobbit and LotR?

Anyway, I've been working indoors at work this week. During breaktime, I fill out the (free) Metro crossword. I've been told I'm good at them, but that is by the by. 

Saturday, since there is no free newspaper. I opt to bring in a book to read. Silmarillion just didn't jump out at me. I decided on The Witcher book 1 (Blood of Elves). In a thirty minute break, I read nearly 40 pages. I think it is time to reprioritise my reading schedule.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I received the email from Book Depository last week. Gutted, especially as now my newest preorders (the next two HC's of JoJo and the next two volumes of One Punch Man) have all been cancelled. Since they won't be released before they cease trading. I'll definitely never buy another book from Amazon now.

Meanwhile, a soothing audio:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished a few autobiographies that I got for Christmas & beyond.

Becoming - Michelle Obama

Once Upon Atari - Howard Scott Warshaw

Ten - Rylan Clark

All enjoyable for different reasons and give me a different perspective on people's lives, values and events of recent times.