passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game of the Year 2023

DisturbedSwan

To each their own but I don't think you need to have completed a game to put it here, particularly if it's as massive as those mentioned.

Of course just playing a cool tutorial and declaring it your GOTY would be a stretch but case in point, I actually haven't entirely completed the Advance Wars remake because the last mission of AW2 is, and has always been, complete shit. But everything else is so good that I don't think it really matters.

I might go back to Balders Gate 3, some day. But it does an absolutely shite job of teaching you how to play it. One of the worst tutorials I’ve ever seen, it teaches you practically nothing. 

I had to constantly resort to videos/guides on YouTube, as I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to be doing. Eventually I got sick of doing that, and gave up. If a game can’t be arsed to tell me how to play it, I can’t be arsed to do so. 

There are many, many better games than BG3, in my opinion. 

Not sure of the point been made but even though its an expansion  Phantom Liberty has maybe the best integration of cinematic story and gameplay in a game I've ever seen, finally imbuing 2077 with a set of hugely consequential decisions which enrich all of its themes. I cant really imagine a very strong argument for its disqualification, especially when it has more RPG in it than a 'full' game like Starfield

Tho I think the jibe is moreso aimed at Andy there, but I wanted to put some words justifying its placement on my own list as well, it and BG3 hugely immerse me in every decision. But PL especially just sets a high bar that really ought to be industry standard for that type of game, as BG3 does for reactive dialogue and quest systems in dnd based RPG

Yeah I don’t really understand that comment to be honest. Phantom Liberty is perfectly understandable. Anyone playing it will have most likely played Cyberpunk before. You pretty much have to have done, because unless you want to start all over with a new character, you have to have cleared a specific part in the story to access Phantom Liberty.

The tutorials for Balders Gate 3 are fucking shit. I’m not sorry for voicing that opinion, they genuinely are. If you are a Dungeons and Dragons expert, a lot of it makes sense. But I’m not, and this one of the worst tutorials I’ve ever seen, in my entire life. It teaches you practically nothing. Quite early on, a decision you make had my character killed instantly, which was game over. And I had no real idea what I had done wrong. 
Later, I found a character that was dangling from a rope, off a tree. It was clear that I had the optional choice of cutting them down. Could I figure out how to do it? Could i hell. I had to resort to a YouTube video, to figure out specifically what I had to do. 

In the few hours I played it, I had to resort to YouTube guides constantly. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, and the game blatantly didn’t tell you what to do.

And I’m not the only person that thinks that. I’ve seen plenty of people comment online on how they were baffled as to how to actually play the game. And I’ve a friend that got it, and he had exactly the same problem.

To clarify, I am not saying that Balders Gate 3 is a bad game. I’ve seen plenty of people heap praise on it, and absolutely love it.

But in my own opinion, the tutorials suck, I got sick and tired of having to look at videos on to how to play the fucking thing. So for now, it can fuck right off.

I agree with everything @AndyKurosakihas said there. However even though I’ve had a couple of moments where I sacked it off, I’ve found myself still banging my head against it and carrying on. So far it feels just about worth it but if anything stops me playing it, it is the fact I’ve no idea what I’m doing most of the time. So far I’m not willing to put it in my top 10 because of it. 

It’s like people keep saying how many different ways you can approach situations but without proper knowledge on how everything works that just isn’t the case for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

GOTY 2023

1. Wartales

2. The Last Case of Benedict Fox

Games Discovered not from 2023

1. Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

2. Solasta - Crown of the Magister

3. Biomutant

4. Talos Principle

5. Shadowrun Returns

6. Tainted Grail Conquest

7. Arcade Paradise

8. As Dusk Falls

9. Close to the Sun

10. Saints Row (2022)

Most Anticipated 2024

1. Dragons Dogma 2

FWIW there's a bunch of other games that I played that I have omitted (as I don't particularly feel that they were worth adding to any 'best of' list) 

4 hours ago, Nag said:

Blakey's taking tips from game devs... we have an announcement of an announcement...🤣

Now we just need the announcement of a Battle Pass, that will detail the results in the coming days. Pre-order now for exclusive behind the scenes content.

29 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Excellent overall winner! 

That Pokémon win though… yeesh. 

That category should’ve had a joint winner, only just realised after I checked my notes lol. Have updated it.