passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Horizon: Forbidden West

Maf

I’m only in the tutorial and am completely lost with the story already.

Spoiler

Aloy is a clone? When did that happen. Who the fuck is Far Zenith?

I have 0 idea what’s going on. This game is spoiling the first game I’m like what the are these plot points.

The game looks amazing, but the environments might just be too dense with foliage, detail, stuff. It’s just hard to see. I have to keep clicking the scanner all the time to find anything from items, to handholds, to plants. Maybe we got to a point where you just don’t need this much stuff on screen? Or maybe they could do a better job at naturally highlighting objects in the game. 

The one thing, which I’m sure I’ll get used to but right off the bat the controls are dumb. Square to toggle crouch? Down on the d-pad to craft consumables? Click R3 to scan but hold R3 to scan harder? No, no, no. I’m sure I’ll adjust but none of it feels right or is intuitive. And sluggish doesn’t do it justice. Already the fighting is so difficult because the aiming is so slow. Pushing the reticle across the screen reminds me of trying to close a side door on a van. I know that’s an odd metaphor but shut up. It’s what it reminds me off. Too much fight back. I’m trying to aim, bitch. 

When I played Metroid Dread I said the controls are so amazing because all the buttons make sense and the game has incredible feedback and is amazing to play. This game has none of that. I’m sure I’ll get used to it but man. Not great.

Still trying to finish the tutorial. It’s been about an hour so far. 

6 minutes ago, Maf said:

The game looks amazing, but the environments might just be too dense with foliage, detail, stuff. It’s just hard to see

Won't post in this thread more than once, as I have no impressions on this game. But this is something I also noticed while watching the gameplay. It's overwhelmingly detailed to a point that it distracts you so much you cant focus on stuff IMO. I think this is why they added 'hero lighting' to Aloy, so she sort of glows and stands out.

At least I know I'm not the only one who had that reaction

It’s not even distracting, more in the way. Like I’ve just stopped the game because I’m trying to climb some tower but each railing is covered in multi layered vines, the floor is covered in shrubbery, the orange metal roof is covered in plants and I’m trying to find really faint yellow handhelds amidst all these sun baked greens and oranges. On the one the hand it looks good and is impressive, but from a gameplay perspective I just can’t find what I’m looking for on the screen. 

It’s not like distracting visual noise, more I’m just blinded because I can’t see anything but bushes and shit. They’re really nice bushes and shit. But maybe less of it. Or make stand out things stand out more. I dunno

I’m glad a big triangle prompt pops up at the bottom of the screen when passing chests and stuff because I would just miss them otherwise

EDIT: THERE ARE DIALOGUE CHOICES?! NOOOOOOOOO

EDIT 2: I got to the first camp and I think that might be it for me. I’m not sure I’ve got the patience for this 

for the climbing there's an option in the menus to highlight where you can climb better. i agree the aiming is a bit annoying till you learn about the bullet time thing, which helps it a lot.

i haven't got very far, feels a bit like donkey kong 64 with the amount of stuff i'm collecting.

maybe pointing out the obvious, it looks amazing. i'd agree though that can make things hard to see. 

10 hours ago, Maf said:

EDIT 2: I got to the first camp and I think that might be it for me. I’m not sure I’ve got the patience for this

I feel a Maf 100% on its way.

Seriously, I honestly think you get a bit further before throwing in the towel. I did something similar with Dishonored 2 because I couldn't 'get' the stealth. The game was highly rated but I couldn't get it. Now, having tried again in gamepass, it's one of my favourite games.

5 hours ago, bellow said:

Seriously, I honestly think you get a bit further before throwing in the towel.

Let’s play a game. How many things can you see in this video do you think that I hate

This was immediately after crawling around in a mine for 45 minutes not knowing how to proceed because everything looks the same. 

This is currently joint worst modern PS exclusive with FF7R

10 minutes ago, Maf said:

worst modern PS exclusive with FF7R

You done fucked up boy!

I was agreeing with almost everything you’ve said (as someone who has only seen and not played it so far) but you’ve just made every take you’ve ever had invalid at this point. 

You don’t deserve to play games. 

Think your all a bit crazy, loving the minimalist prompts, and sleek ui. 

The lush worlds are great, cant say I have had a problem with navigation. 

But then I enjoyed the first and this really does seem more of the same, so guess if you weren't fond of the original then this may not be for you. 

Look at this screenshot

FMC-_ZUXIAU2s_Q?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It is impressive but when trying to just look for things is like what the fuck. Especially as some areas are like this + falling leaves/snow/fog effects. I have no problem with it artistically I just feel like I can’t see where I’m going 

14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Think your all a bit crazy

This...

Anyway it's no surprise I'm absolutely loving this... for me the first game was probably the best exclusive on the PS4 so more of the same is all I wanted. This delivers exactly that with some nice expansions in certain areas. I was always quite in to the melee combat in the first game and it's been expanded on quite nicely in this with proper combos and other intricacies including the resonator damage. I think I'll be concentrated on the Warrior skill tree to begin with.

I've been playing for easily over six hours so far and I've not progressed from the first part of the map so I've not encountered any of the big enemies up to now... looking forward to those.

Playing on hard difficulty in resolution mode and 30fps feels silky with this... I'm a happy bunny so far.😁

17f1790c68147-screenshotUrl.jpg

17f1790f71168-screenshotUrl.jpg

17f1791dd0161-screenshotUrl.jpg

Spoiler

17f179204f817-screenshotUrl.jpg

It isn’t meant to be funny but this made me laugh. 

Bitch 😆

After a lot of hours I reached the open world proper and this game looks amazing. The day night cycle has kicked in and revealed some of the most beautifulest HDR you ever did see. The fire, the lights, the sparks. Contrasted against muted blues and pitch blacks. It just looks superb. Got to the top of my first Tallneck as well and seeing the sights and that whole thing. Crazy.

The thing I really want to see is the white sand beaches and blue water like they have in the trailer. I’m really tempted just to run as far west as the game will let me. It’s my #1 thing I want from this game. 

The music in this game is also really strong. 

On 20/02/2022 at 09:53, mmmark said:

We need some @DisturbedSwan impressions to even us out. 

On 20/02/2022 at 09:54, Jimbo Xiii said:

I'm curious as to the status of his tits and of they remain attached

Hahaha, my tits firmly remain on as I won't get to start this until I'm done with DL2 unfortunately. Once that's done the tits will well and truly get blown off I'm sure.

21 hours ago, mfnick said:

I was agreeing with almost everything you’ve said (as someone who has only seen and not played it so far)

This gets my goat, you're agreeing with everything he says despite not playing the game? Makes no sense lol. The things he's saying are just what you want to hear.

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

This gets my goat, you're agreeing with everything he says despite not playing the game? Makes no sense lol. The things he's saying are just what you want to hear.

I can agree that visually it looks very busy and messy just because of how much details is on the screen. It’s visuals, the stuff you look at, nothing to do with gameplay. 

& I’ve played loads of games, including the original which are very similar so it’s quite easy to get a idea of that side too from watching videos. I may be wrong and that’s why I said I haven’t played it yet but I can still have an opinion and how it looks. 

This honestly might be the best looking game I’ve ever seen. I think I say that with nearly every new PS5 game but phew. This game is fucking amazing to look at haha

FMKVMPiWYAk7ThF?format=jpg&name=4096x409
FMKVPGgXIAINC8A?format=jpg&name=4096x409
FMKVXdsXEAgJ2Gd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Spoiler

FMKVQrfXwAA90QF?format=jpg&name=4096x409
FMKVVDmXMAEHAm4?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FMKVSmsWYAEWutL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Look how sexy that moon is oh my god. That was the first of these photos I took. I was going over the hill and then it caught my breath. Then I couldn’t stop snapping. This game looks so crazy!

I’m starting to like parts of this game more, I think. I just had one really good mission jumping around a destroyed facility. It was Tomb Raider-ish and fun. The story pulled a Matrix which I won’t spoil but I like it when stories have this plot device so that’s pulled me in. Aloy I’m starting to like more as well. She’s really rude to people and I like that a lot. The amount of times she turns around to people as does the equivalent of “Shut up and move” is fun, but she doesn’t always say that which makes her sort of hard to gauge. She has a hard ball attitude which is sometimes put to the side, and sometimes her attitude gets even more ruthless and the never knowing what she is going to do I like.

Although, and maybe this was like this from the first game and I don’t remember, but she’s really intent on just blowing everything up. No matter what obstacle is in her way she takes a deep breath, thinks about it, and says in her very serious and monotone voice “Maybe I can destroy it” and then everything starts exploding. It’s really weird but funny. 

This game, kind of like me right now with it, is at odds with itself in this way. A lot of emotional music, a lot of serious dialogue among characters, a lot of themes of sacrifice and hope and then look it’s a metal T-Rex BOOM 

This is also another game lately where I think it’s best played by mainlining the story missions and then doing the side stuff later. Right from the beginning there’s so many icons locked behind special equipment requirements I just think it’s a waste of time exploring the map until I actually have the skills to do it.

I dunno. I’m currently at odds with the game. I like it more than I did, because parts of it are starting to get better. But a lot of it, especially around the part where you play it. It feels like there’s very little new here. It doesn’t really have new ideas, it doesn’t really have a new take on old ideas, it’s hard to point to any one thing this game does I haven’t seen before or even seen done better before. I know the combat is unique, but it’s the bit about the game I like the least.

I’ve never seen graphics like this before I can say that. Man it’s a fucking good looking video game holy shit. I’m playing in 30fps mode too. 60 is not required for this you’re going to want the 4K