passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition

DisturbedSwan

No trailer? 😢

Guess this is just them finally admitting it exists after all the leaks. 

Like the sound of it but will really depend on what they’ve done to them. Also the original PS2 versions can be bought of the PSN store for £7 a pop or something. I wonder how much these are going to cost! 

On PC they routinely patch the old versions of the game to remove songs off the soundtrack due to expired deals, which is something I thought about when I saw that they are removing the older versions of the game off stores.

Expectations for this being anything other than the old games ran at 4k 60 (with some music omitted) are near zero

In honor of the upcoming anniversary, today we are excited to announce that all three games will be coming to current generation platforms later this year in Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and the Rockstar Games Launcher on PC. Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will feature across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements for all three titles, while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals. We’re extremely excited to share more about these groundbreaking titles in the coming weeks — stay tuned!

Well no because they already said they’re doing work to the games. What graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements means, well, that’s what I’m saying it depends what that they’ve done to them. This is definitely more in the remaster camp than remake but it sounds like they’re still doing work to them. 

Just how much.

The music thing is definitely a problem but also they made the most profitable video game of all time, they should spend the money and re-up the licenses. I doubt that they will but they should do.

That usually just means better anti-aliasing, image quality, shadow resolution etc. Every remaster announcement says something like that

For example: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/assassins-creed/the-ezio-collection

'Enhanced graphics', but pretty meaningless if you can play the PC versions (if you can, otherwise I guess having versions that are high res on PS5 is cool)

Feel free to dump on me if I'm wrong, but remaster usually just means port. It's unusual when it doesnt. Otherwise they would not be taking down the old versions as that suggests they are redundant, or cause they want to remove lots of music

Also they are releasing these on iOS/Android, which really limits the scope of what they are probably preparing to do here

Also they are sending cease and desists to people making mods for the PC version... 

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/take-two-issues-dmca-takedowns-for-several-popular-gta-mods-2996162

People getting sued for making cool things with GTA just as rockstar presumably get ready to release an underwhelming version of the game

I’m also not saying expect Modern Warfare 2 style remaster either. Very well could be a basic port touched up here and there. There’s lots visually they could do to GTA, though. Remember those games, especially GTA3, is janky as fuck with tonnes of visual glitches, weird lighting, bad draw distance, wonky shooting, gameplay bugs, etc. It’s hard to say how much they could to these games because there’s a lot, but also yes companies generally cheap out on remasters so who knows.

I think there’s potential here for this to be cool depending on what they do to them. I’m also expecting them to cost a bomb because it’s GTA and fuck

I am hoping I just see the ports magically appear in my steam library like a lot of these graphical upgrades do.

Also better controls wouldn't go amiss, all 3 games control like shit now. They weren't the best at the time so they will be horrendous now.

Vice City was cool back in the day, mostly for the setting and soundtrack. 3 and San Andreas, well, not my cup of tea.

Also wasn't there some speculation this might be a bigger upgrade then expected due to Unreal Engine being linked to the leaks?

I have some serious doubts about that but there's no way they can just get away with simple ports. Those games already both played and looked pretty bad when they came out.

I think they would be using a modern engine anyway, cause it should have features that make modern development better, or something. Like they wouldn't be building these games for current gen using tools from 20 years ago.

eg, like how Unity was used to port Doom to Switch or something like that. FFIX also got ported on Unity